• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did SingStar Ultimate mark the end of the franchise?

glaurung

Sorry, rant-like opening post incoming.

For as long as I can remember, I have always loved singing. I've been in smaller vocal bands, I've sang in professional choirs. Lately less so. It would come as no surprise that I really cherish singing as a gaming genre. And there really is no better singing application than SingStar.

SingStar started out on PS2 and it also matured on that platform. During the PS3 era, SingStar became even bigger because for the first time you could purchase and download new tracks, piecemeal. I am sure many GAF members have accumulated a properly huge song collection. The PS3 received less disc-based SingStar iterations just because the SingStore got implemented.

Come PS4, many die hard SingStar fans were hoping for Sony to take the franchise to new heights. But it did not quite go that way.

In late October of 2014, Sony released SingStar Ultimate for the PS4. The digital application release was quickly followed by a physical disc release in EU. Returning players came back to see a totally new interface, an odd goal-based leveling system and the genius feature of using any smartphone as a microphone. This last bit should have given an immense boost to the proceedings.

But there were other, less positive news. First of all, the new SingStar application omitted various basic features from the game. Party mode was gone, duets were removed. Players were pretty much stunned by these purges. Another massive blow to the game was that the SingStore was not up and running. And then, when it came online, many people found that a massive list of their favorite tracks simply wasn't there. Bear in mind - these were the tracks that people had purchased in the past. The developers promised that any past purchases can be re-downloaded for the PS4. But as time went along, it was evident that many popular tracks would never appear on the SingStore. They still aren't, to this day. Many people felt that they were simply robbed. To make matters worse, Sony also forcefully patched other game versions, also removing features from them.

And now here we are, six months past the release of the new game. I recently booted up the game on PS4. I am still missing a large chunk of my songs library. The latest updates to the SingStore happened back in March, and even that was a bunch of Oasis shit.

So here's my question: has Sony decided to kill off SingStar? Surely it deserves better. There still seems to be a vibrant, albeit smaller player base. Why cannot they release the missing songs on the SingStore? Is it a licensing issue or lack of interest? Does the future contain any SingStar games at all?

TLDR: SingStar seems to be dead. Do you miss it?

Shinriji

The lack of updates is concerning, but Oasis was an old request of mine. I still use my old PS3 to singstar parties here at home. The PS4 version is just terrible.

Did they ever make redownloading songs any easier? My original PS3 YLODed on me and I was going to have to go through a lot of hoops to get my songs back, especially the ones I had people in EU buy for me over the years (Morrissey). That's been one of the biggest reasons, including the overall decline in the series, why I haven't gotten back into it. I used to play so much!

glaurung

Did they ever make redownloading songs any easier? My original PS3 YLODed on me and I was going to have to go through a lot of hoops to get my songs back, especially the ones I had people in EU buy for me over the years (Morrissey). That's been one of the biggest reasons, including the overall decline in the series, why I haven't gotten back into it. I used to play so much!
On PS4, they used a new licensing model. Meaning songs that were previously attached to your PS3's system ID (not your PSN account for some bizarre reason) could be re-downloaded without turning into Sony Support.

I don't know whether this retroactively also worked on PS3 units.

Being able to use your phone as a mic is fantastic, but there just isn't a big enough library. Also I get that it's free to play, but charging for each song/album individually just seems too much. I can't remember the prices off the top of my head, but isn't it like £2 a song or something? I'd far rather they charge £10 for 2 hours access to the whole library or something, I could see myself doing that every couple of weeks.

glaurung

Being able to use your phone as a mic is fantastic, but there just isn't a big enough library. Also I get that it's free to play, but charging for each song/album individually just seems too much. I can't remember the prices off the top of my head, but isn't it like £2 a song or something? I'd far rather they charge £10 for 2 hours access to the whole library or something, I could see myself doing that every couple of weeks.
That timed SingStore access would make sense if they could stream stuff. But they cannot. You need to download every song separately. Song and artist packs were a good substitute for per track purchases though.

The price of a single track is £1.19 on the UK SingStore. Something similar elsewhere.

Stanng243

I thought Duets were still in. I sing bad enough I can't do anyone to sing with me, but there are trophies for singing with a friend. And they keep saying a new update is coming soon. For about a month and a half now.

That timed SingStore access would make sense if they could stream stuff. But they cannot. You need to download every song separately. Song and artist packs were a good substitute for per track purchases though.

The price of a single track is £1.19 on the UK SingStore. Something similar elsewhere.

That's still way too much in my opinion. £11.90 for 10 tracks just isn't good value for something like this.

Remy

That's still way too much in my opinion. £11.90 for 10 tracks just isn't good value for something like this.

They do have bundles for artist packs that come out a little cheaper.

I share the general concern that two months without any peep from Sony about song updates is worrying. My hope is that they've heard enough people complaining (justifiably!) about their PS3 libraries being incomplete on the PS4 side that they're spending all their time re-licensing the existing and they're going to do a giant song dump and quasi-relaunch the game in the near future. But that's a random hope and not grounded in any sort of reality.

bug_42

They dropped the ball hard on this one.
- No backwards compatibility on all songs
- Only allowed to have your DLC on one system
- Having separate DLC in different region

Well since this was free2play i decided to try this out with my GF a few months ago, we bought a couple of songs and then decided to buy one song per week. A song is 1.39 bucks and frankly I think its a fair price. And the fact you can use your phone is really fun and easy to invite friends and stuff. Now the problem for me is not the UI navigation itself (you get used to it after a while). But it surely is missing important features:

- If a friend has the same song, you can challenge him... but the scores in 'friend mode' only stays for one week! that is the stupidest thing.
- You cant see a list of the songs your friends own
- You can see your ranking worldwide ( for example 230th ) but you cant easily see yourself in that ranking, i mean you cant see the score easily of the 229th one etc.
- I didnt find a way to record your audio to listen later

Theres definitely also a lot of songs missing and the updates are as sparse as Sont 1st party line up for 2015 lol

Well since this was free2play i decided to try this out with my GF a few months ago, we bought a couple of songs and then decided to buy one song per week. A song is 1.39 bucks and frankly I think its a fair price. And the fact you can use your phone is really fun and easy to invite friends and stuff. Now the problem for me is not the UI navigation itself (you get used to it after a while). But it surely is missing important features:

- If a friend has the same song, you can challenge him... but the scores in 'friend mode' only stays for one week! that is the stupidest thing.
- You cant see a list of the songs your friends own
- You can see your ranking worldwide ( for example 230th ) but you cant easily see yourself in that ranking, i mean you cant see the score easily of the 229th one etc.
- I didnt find a way to record your audio to listen later

Theres definitely also a lot of songs missing and the updates are as sparse as Sont 1st party line up for 2015 lol

Could this not be done just using the PS4's built in recording stuff? I remember recording my friend playing PT and it recording him shrieking over the mic.

Yep it shit a brick

Strangely I fired it up this morning just to see when the last store update was and yeah March!

I'll be keeping my PS3 till they bring this up to scratch and also something similar to Buzz would be nice, I just don't see Sony giving two shits about the party aspect of gaming anymore.

JSR_Cube

Yep. It is dead. I don't get it. How hard can it be to get some new songs/videos. I get if the disc based content is done but it is strange that they can't support the downloads.

Ever since the ps4 launch it has been a comedy of errors. The new game is worse than the previous ones and they have patched the old modes out of the ps3 version. It is so sad.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
They dropped the ball hard on this one.
- No backwards compatibility on all songs
- Only allowed to have your DLC on one system
- Having separate DLC in different region
I still have more than 2000 songs yet to be transferred.

Sony really dropped the ball on their service/firmware updates. SingStar is just as dead as PlayStation TV.

I really don't know what's going on at their HQ.

Top Bottom