• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon: "At Amazon, our goal is to create great PC games.", posts 70 jobs

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, we found out what Amazon is doing.

They just posted up 25 job postings noting this: http://jobs.gamasutra.com/company/amazon-0791

Example:

http://jobs.gamasutra.com/job/sr-gameplay-engineer-amazon-game-studios-seattle-washington-28811

At Amazon, our goal is to create great PC games. We believe in ground-breaking games that can redefine the boundaries of player experience and change the way the world sees digital entertainment. Games have the power to connect people at a massive scale, and creating these experiences will produce some of the future’s most influential voices in media and art. We seek the best game developers in the world to join our team and become the architects of this vision. Join us, and you’ll have the power of Twitch, AWS, and the entire Amazon ecosystem to shape the future of games. You will work alongside talented industry veterans, including key contributors from dozens of titles: Half Life 2, Left for Dead, Portal, Thief, System Shock 2, Age of Empires, Dawn Of War II, Halo, The Last of Us, Gears of War, Forza, and Bioshock.

Notes:
-There seems to be a variety of games here.
-At least one of them appears to be f2p given the job postings, which isn't that surprising for PC gaming.
-The jobs suggest these are core oriented games.

Edit:

Correction, they have 70 jobs open. Only 25 are on Gamasutra.

http://www.amazon.jobs/team/amazon-game-studios

Mechazawa

Glad to see Double Helix's talents won't be purely focused around Amazon Fire games.

Man that felt weird to say.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
build up massive infrastructure to make mobile -> belly-flop -> release like 3 games in a year, none of which broke 4 digit sales -> suddenly you're a game publisher so... uh... pc it is?

KR_remix

Are they trying to make games specifically for their twitch audience with this? Maybe having a go at an esport game? :p

PC will finally get consistent true exclusives that push their platform again?

sounds great to me!
About that......

So count big budget AAA Exclusives out of the window here :p

It just sounds to me they want to create the next DOTA 2, League of Legends and the other popular F2P games, which are absolutely massive as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
About that......

So count big budget AAA Exclusives out of the window here :p

It just sounds to me they want to create the next DOTA 2, League of Legends and the other popular F2P games, which are absolutely massive as well.
In earlier interviews they noted they were going for 15-30 person teams, though some may be larger now, but yeah the intent was clearly more in the downloadable and f2p realm than $100 million games.

cripterion

At Amazon, our goal is to create great PC games. We believe in ground-breaking games that can redefine the boundaries of player experience and change the way the world sees digital entertainment. Games have the power to connect people at a massive scale, and creating these experiences will produce some of the future’s most influential voices in media and art. We seek the best game developers in the world to join our team and become the architects of this vision. Join us, and you’ll have the power of Twitch, AWS, and the entire Amazon ecosystem to shape the future of games. You will work alongside talented industry veterans, including key contributors from dozens of titles: Half Life 2, Left for Dead, Portal, Thief, System Shock 2, Age of Empires, Dawn Of War II, Halo, The Last of Us, Gears of War, Forza, and Bioshock.

url

Any reason you are calling their mobile games shovelware or is it just "hurrdurr, mobile games are always crap and bad"?

I haven't played the games, but most of their mobile titles look really good and fun.

https://www.amazon.com/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Maybe shovelware is a bit harsh, but most of those games look like low budget, low creativity, low innovation titles, which I usually associate with shovelware.

I'd give Til Mornings Light and Tales From Deep Space a chance but I wouldn't even get the other ones if they were offered for free.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
That doesn't make any more sense either.
In the PC space, their mobile titles would occupy the territory taken by abundant, low budget games with a lukewarm reception. Shovelware might be too harsh a term but those games would not be the cream of the PC crop. I don't even think they would turn many heads in the indie gaming community.

Now, compared to other mobile games, it's probably a different story. But I specifically compared them to AAA PC games, like the type mentioned in the quote.

UnrealEck

Hopefully they get good talent. That's what makes some of my favourite PC devs so good. They spend a lot of time picking the best.

I've suspected that their long game was a streaming game service. That always made more sense to me than mobile based on the talent they were acquiring.

Top Bottom