• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars has sold more than 1 million copies in its first month

chadskin

Slightly Mad Studios racer Project Cars has passed the 1m sales barrier after a month on sale.

"It wasn't until the first review scores came in that we truly realised how much Project Cars had resonated with both media, racing professionals, and gamers alike around the world," Slightly Mad boss Ian Bell said.

"To now stand here having reached over a million players in such a short time really justifies the work both the team and the community have done over the years and solidifies Project Cars' future as the multi-platform racing experience of choice for fans around the world. And we'll be talking more about that future very, very soon."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-05-project-cars-overtakes-1m-sales

Happy for them. Racing genre is alive and well it seems. :)

GHG

Well deserved. Fantastic game and just what the industry needed.

Especially at a time when many publishers were doubting whether there was a market for sim racers.

Well there you have it. More games like this please.

_machine

Around 250K XB1 owners:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?29558-The-pCARS-v-Forza-discussion&p=967681#post967681 said:
We have a quarter of a million Xbox players loving the game...

PS4 holds the biggest share of players, and as they expected consoles are drawing in more players than on PC despite the more simulation focus. Still, they said at some point that PC is doing better than expected and I inferred that the ratio was better than for Shift/S2U.

EDIT:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?29558-The-pCARS-v-Forza-discussion/page12&p=967170#post967170 said:
It's 85% median on PS4 which is by far our biggest market thus far.

SmokyDave

Ah, sweet man. It's flawed, but still a cracking experience. I hope this means good things for Assetto Corsa next year.

Zukkoyaki

Lots of new IPs doing well so far this generation: Watch Dogs, Destiny, Dying Light, Bloodborne, Project Cars... good stuff!

RibMan

Excellent numbers! I'm going to pick up Project Cars sometime over the summer. The extrapolated PS4 sales-figures don't surprise me. The success of the original Gran Turismo made PlayStation the go-to platform for car simulation games.

leeh

Yeah, makes sense considering the sales totals for both consoles.
Well, one already has a highly reviewed & discounted sim, one doesn't.

Excellent numbers though, as a sim racing fan I'm happy smaller teams like these are being rewarded for their hardwork. Happy the racing simulator market is still profitable and is making good sales. Personally, I thought it was declining a lot recently.

_machine

Good stuff.

When does this end up as a tiny payment in my PayPal for being an investor?
At least 3 months after release. Most likely will take a little longer than that since organizing all of the payments after actually getting the money won't probably be the easiest of things.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah, makes sense considering the sales totals for both consoles.

That and the gaming libraries of both [some may not want Project Cars due to Forza(s)]. Seems like many PS4 gamers were craving a solid sim racer as the system didn't have one before the release of Project Cars.

I'm really happy about this news as someone who loves racing games.

EGOMON

Good numbers for PCars
Thanks to GT sim racing fans on PS are plenty, assetto corsa should do well too

ODDI

Wow good stuff I was looking for a copy at my local shop ended up getting Driveclub instead will get this later in the year.

PS4 holds the biggest share of players, and as they expected consoles are drawing in more players than on PC despite the more simulation focus. Still, they said at some point that PC is doing better than expected and I inferred that the ratio was better than for Shift/S2U.

I would think the lower PC numbers are due to more sim competition on that platform.

Momentary

Banned
Lol. Pathetic PC numbers. Good thing that they didn't stay solely on that platform. I guess it really is no on the up and up.

Purest 78

That and the gaming libraries of both [some may not want Project Cars due to Forza(s)]. Seems like many PS4 gamers were craving a solid sim racer.

I'm really happy about this news as someone who loves racing games.

I knew this type of comment wouldn't take long lol.

EDIT:

Those PS4 owners need their fix while they're waiting for GT7 to drop. Simple explanation!

Leko04

Banned
Loving that excuse. XB1 already having one sim racer should mean that XB1 has stronger sim fan base already. The right excuse is install base difference and that Gran Turismo is just that much bigger than forza.

But everyone knows the reason is XB1's AAA exclusive lineup this holiday season. Why play games before.

Actually real reason is, good job SMS. Hope you made some money.

Bgamer90

Banned
I knew this type of comment wouldn't take long lol.

Haha -- and I was expecting a reply like this when I made my post (due to how things have been on these forums lately).

The PS4 didn't have a sim racer before Project Cars was released. Not sure why me pointing out that it helped the sales of the game on the PS4 is funny.

Loving that excuse. XB1 already having one sim racer should mean that XB1 has stronger sim fan base already. The right excuse is install base difference and that Gran Turismo is just that much bigger that forza.

Both are "right excuses". Some people are satisfied with the racing fix they are getting from Forza. Not sure why that fact is so controversial.

Chobel

MS should really stop creating 1st party games, otherwise the 3rd party games will continue to suffer.

GHG

Haha -- and I was expecting a reply like this when I made my post (due to how things have been on these forums lately).

The PS4 didn't have a sim racer before Project Cars was released. Not sure why me pointing out that it helped the sales of the game on the PS4 is funny.

So install base has nothing to do with it?

Top Bottom