• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Touch - VR controller for the Oculus Rift headset (shipping H1 2016)

-SD-

Banned
Touch preview at the pre-E3 2015 press event showing the feature prototype controllers code-named "Half Moon": http://www.twitch.tv/oculus/v/6059513?t=78m00s

Will be demoed at the E3 show floor, June 16-18.

From Luckey's presentation:

- Virtual hands = real hands (hand presence)
- precise manipulation of virtual entities (pick up a gun etc.)
- effortless to use (no "mental load")
- communicative gestures (pointing, waving, thumbs up etc.)
- 2 buttons + analog stick + analog trigger + hand trigger (for index finger) for each controller
- lightweight and ergonomic
- wireless
- high-precision, low-latency, six-degrees-of-freedom constellation tracking (same as for headset)
- integrated inertia measurement units
- haptic feedback (feel the things that you're touching).

https://twitter.com/PalmerLuckey/status/609057819942211585
Palmer Luckey said:
Oculus Touch will be shipping H1 2016 - Preorders will open alongside the Rift.
The Rift itself will be out earlier, in Q1 2016, and it will be bundled with the Xbox One controller. Common sense says Touch will be bundled once it's ready to ship.

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/rift/

Ype2pEO.jpg
RVcgFz0.jpg

39u1y7a.jpg
9u8qmgo.jpg

The only good thing to come out of the event, and it's not even bundled whereas the Xbox One controller is.

Still, it looks pretty promising.

Man

The only good thing about the conference (though should really have come bundled, not including a 3D trackable-controller of any kind was a horrible decision).

It's more or less traditional 3D remotes ala Vive & PSMove though with a special design. It has some finger-gesture-tracking in addition.

Lionheart

The only good thing to come out of the event, and it's not even bundled whereas the Xbox One controller is.

Still, it looks pretty promising.
Sounded like they're not even in developer hands yet. I think they might launch the controllers after the release of the Rift and perhaps they'll start bundling those instead of the Xbox controllers? Or did they announce a date for the Touch?

Ran rp

They look like Bluetooth headsets. Was hoping Oculus would demo them today but I guess we'll have to wait.

Looking forward to demos of it to see how it works in practice, it's be disappointing if it works just like a normal motion control wand, but I guess it means there's some level of standardization of input across Vive/Morpheus/Oculus since all 3 will have wand-equivalents

It seems ergonomic enough. Also smaller than then Vive controller, which is a "full length wand". PS Move is the same "wand" model, a bit shorter than Vive, but still not as ergonomic as Oculus Touch.

Comparison

Alx

Well it's what I'd expect from a VR controller (at least it's less ugly than the Vive early prototype... but that's not surprising either).
Like I mentioned in the other thread, it remains to be seen what exactly their "finger recognition" tech can do, it could have some real potential for better immersion.

their insistence to save this for e3 instead of showing it at their own conference baffles me

the sheer clusterfuck of information coming from all the other announcements will not allow for the attention that something like this deserves

Sounded like they're not even in developer hands yet. I think they might launch the controllers after the release of the Rift and perhaps they'll start bundling those instead of the Xbox controllers? Or did they announce a date for the Touch?

Seems like mismanagement to me then. They should have had the controllers ready for those that are developing Rift exclusive games. Using Xbox One controllers is no better than what the other VR solutions are going to offer. I may wait to buy a Rift because of this.

I wanna try them out, hope they work as imagined. Pressing a button in GTAV to give people the finger will feel antiquated!

PensOwl

Banned
It has 6 less buttons than a traditional controller... will that be an issue?

The whole xbox controller thing is probably because they wanted to move fast to compete with Valve's launch but they didn't have their input solution ready.

wrowa

That was definitely the most bizarre moment of the show for me. He talked about the controller for 5 minutes, instead of just showing a demonstration of it. I understood the words he was saying, but I never quite grasped how the controller exactly works in motion.

My one complaint is that it doesn't have enough buttons. Other than that it looks pretty great.

First, you have one per hand. It's 2 buttons + trigger on each hand.

Second, you have positional and rotational tracking with them. I suspect most games is going to be "moving your hands and pressing the trigger to hold something". The buttons will be barely used.

bj00rn_

Banned
It has 6 less buttons than a traditional controller... will that be an issue?

The whole xbox controller thing is probably because they wanted to move fast to compete with Valve's launch but they didn't have their input solution ready.

I think they will ship at the same time, but sold separately.

What do you mean 6 less buttons?

jediyoshi

That was definitely the most bizarre moment of the show for me. He talked about the controller for 5 minutes, instead of just showing a demonstration of it. I understood the words he was saying, but I never quite grasped how the controller exactly works in motion.

The traditional bits and positioning seem pretty straight forward, no clue what the gestural bits actually meant or if it's full on finger tracking as well.

Interesting.
Design looks weird with the circular strips, but the actual part you hold looks like a numchuck which is quite comfortable to hold.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
While I'm sure the tech is no doubt fantastic and that they're just what VR needs, these not being ready for Oculus launch and being sold separately is the biggest fuckup in a now year-long series of huge fuck ups.

"Future of VR games and control" / "Not at launch + sold separately" = fractured userbase and unsure developer support.

You have decades of tech and console history to show this, and still you fling an Xbone controller in and hope you can stave off the fail airhorn.

mnannola

If Vive bundles their motion controllers and Oculus does not, that will have a huge impact on which one I purchase. I already have a gamepad for the PC, no need to pick up a headset that bundles one.

??

They will work as any other sensor enabled control works (like in the Vive controller and PS move). You move your hands and your virtual hands (or whatever thing it's mapped in the game) will move at the same time.

Or do you mean technically? Look at the white dots in the ring. Same as the HMD, the camera sees them.

bj00rn_

Banned
If Vive bundles their motion controllers and Oculus does not, that will have a huge impact on which one I purchase. I already have a gamepad for the PC, no need to pick up a headset that bundles one.

And if the total package including everything means the OR solution cost less..?

They should've included them for development reasons I guess, but I suspect they will be fairly close in price all things considered.

It would be a great mistake not including them, because then devs can't trust that every Rift owner has them, so then they can't design games for them with 100% certainty.

That's why I think they won't make that mistake. In any case we are in June, they have time until Q1 2016 to finish them, if they are still too prototype (actually, they seem more finished that the Vive controller, in exterior looks).

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
they look perfect. I hope they have a similar API to the vive controllers for developers' sake. I'm no longer sure which I want to choose between the vive and rift, but I'm definitely getting one of them.

aliengmr

There's the price difference as well. Vive is going premium, Oculus is going cheap.

Mononoke

Banned
they look perfect. I hope they have a similar API to the vive controllers for developers' sake. I'm no longer sure if I want to get the vive or the rift, but I'm definitely getting one of them.

Honestly, this. I really never expected them to nail this. But the design is clean, light, the ergonomics look great (like it just sits perfectly in your hand). I was blown away by these. I wish we actually got a demo. But yeah, if they work, then these look like the real deal. Like a real solution to VR controls.

jett

D-Member
I don't understand how is this controllinator supposed to do hand gestures. They really should've shown a demo.

OP should add they have special sensors in them (secret sauce?) that detect your hand gestures, like a thumbs up.

edit: actually is going to be awkward to do hand gestures while holding them! You can point with the finger, and do a thumbs up... that's it.

sinxtanx

they look great

anyone complaining about "too few buttons" need to remember all the actions you can do with these that usually requires buttons, that can be made so much more intuitive just by hand positioning and finger gestures

imagine a shooter where you gotta move your hand to remove a magazine and then reach down to grab a new one. And then you can either reload by showing it into your AR-15 or throw it to a teammate in need

imagine using subtle motions to reel in a fish in an open world adventure

or reaching up and pulling the horn in Trucker Rage II: Shipment to Hell

this is cool

ps3ud0

So this has finger tracking or have I made that up? Trying to understand why the half-moon is shaped as it is beyond the sensors on it allowing Touch to be positionally tracked

ps3ud0 8)

Phamit

Seems Interesting,

hopefully the rings can track the gestures well

I can imagine that you could make a grabbing gesture with your fingers to pick up a gun and then shoot with the trigger.

So you have the Trigger, A + B, Middlefinger button, it is unclear if you can push the Stick down, so 4 or 5 button on each hand

UrbanRats

There's the price difference as well. Vive is going premium, Oculus is going cheap.

Eh, i'd probably rather wait and spend more.

In the end of course, as long as they are on par with each other, the content will probably decide which one i'll get.

Metal B

they look perfect. I hope they have a similar API to the vive controllers for developers' sake. I'm no longer sure which I want to choose between the vive and rift, but I'm definitely getting one of them.
The question is, how long are you willing to wait. Oculus will not ship those controllers until much later (i guess fall 2016), so if you want the virtual experience this year, there will be only Vive and Morpheus to choose from.

5qKIBxC.jpg

All jokes aside these things look all right. From the way he was talking though, and the pictures of people in the background, I thought maybe the Oculus would have a built in camera/sensor that would track your hands without a need for a handheld device.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Honestly, this. I really never expected them to nail this. But the design is clean, light, the ergonomics look great (like it just sits perfectly in your hand). I was blown away by these. I wish we actually got a demo. But yeah, if they work, then these look like the real deal. Like a real solution to VR controls.

the longer i look at it, the more i'm convinced i am that it would even serve as a straight 360 controller replacement. the ergonomics look that tight, like a 360 controller cleverly split in half and ultimately made more comfortable.

Top Bottom