• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 info dump

Akai__

Some people visited 343i in May and they are allowed to share some information today. Other websites will probably share their impressions later in the day.

Frankie confirmed, that this footage is different from E3. We will see brand new gameplay:

And GI doesn't have any of the E3 materials so you will get to double dip on fresh info.

Some pictures:
Locke:
H5-Guardians-Locke-Hero-Huntsman.jpg

Linda:
H5-Guardians-Blue-Team-Linda.jpg

Promethean Warrior (concept art?)
PROMETHEAN.png

Sanghelios Concept Art:
H5-Guardians-Concept-Sanghelios-Stonebound.jpg

Ready Up Live Gallery (Concept Art, Campaign and Multiplayer screenshots): http://www.readyuplive.com/halo-5-guardians-assets/nggallery/page/1

Tip: If you can't load the images, right click and open them in a new tab.

Videos (no actual gameplay footage. Just some pictures and impressions):

MoreConsole's video: Halo 5 Campaign - I PLAYED IT!

Game Informer: Evolved Combat: How Halo 5: Guardians Is Breaking Tradition

Article:

http://www.readyuplive.com/2015/06/my-halo-5-guardians-experience/

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/06/12/the-halo-5-guardians-cover-story.aspx

Random17

After getting the run-down, we were shown a brief campaign teaser. It moved so fast it was hard to point anything out. That being said, what my eyes feasted upon was jaw dropping: massive enemies, space battles, and more. I saw Hunters forming from worms (Lekgolo) on the ground, Banshees flying past a space station, and a flying Forerunner vehicle shooting at a massive covenant station (it almost looked like a mining rig). The scale was unlike anything we’ve seen in Halo, specifically the giant vehicle scene. There were vehicles flying around, Covenant shooting plasma through the air, and explosions illuminating the landscape. It was hard not to get excited. We watched it twice. I am very certain that the space banshee scene was a playable experience. Halo 5: Space Battles. Colour me hyped. A new enemy type was briefly shown called the Promethean Soldier. It’s a more human-like enemy that moves fast and looks to be a handful to deal with.

Sounds like 343i are taking things up a notch. Almost like how Halo 2 had more worldbuilding/enemies etc.

Sounds pretty good.

jem0208

These non-compressed shots look gorgeous.

They obviously look just like H4.

So Halo 4 graphics just at 60fps and a resolution higher than 1280x720? Hope that means there will be some really large scale battles during campaign.

Case in point...

SMH.

Majanew

Banned
So Halo 4 graphics just at 60fps and a resolution higher than 1280x720? Hope that means there will be some really large scale battles during campaign.

goddamn I was amazed at the visuals in halo 4's desert like level and now halo 5's desert looks even better. 343 desert environment game strong.

Also does this confirm putting down weapons?

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm going to have to buy an Xbox One aren't I?

Just do me a favour 343, please port Halo: Reach. So I can play all of the Halo titles.

btags

In the fathom map video there is a screenshot with the AR ammo counter at 36. Did they increase its magazine size?

Having dropped split screen co op (that still hurts :() there had better be the largest scale battles a Halo game has ever seen. Even thats not gonna make up for dropping Split screen but it will help.

Still not a fan of Promethean infantry design. Grey color armor was a bad choice in H4 as it made most of Promethean classes indistinguishable from each other. Compare that with Elites from Halo 1, 2 and Reach and how one look at them immediately makes it clear what you are dealing with.

I wonder if they are stuck with it because they picked that for Halo 4 and cant change because its now "cannon".

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
From the article, more details on the revival system:

To make Halo 5 a true coop experience, for the first time ever you can be “downed”. When you die, you’ll drop to one knee on the floor and await revival. You have a limited time to be revived before you fully die and have to wait to respawn. To revive, an ally simply needs to stand in proximity of you and hold the use button. He then raises a holopanel, types into it, and blasts you with rays of green light. Magic. If you are killed by a more deadly force like being stuck by a Plasma Grenade you will be instantly killed with no option for revive.
Seems to be like a hybrid of a straight revive system and the previous respawn mechanic. I imagine it'll be either revive or die in single player, maybe with the AI being immortal but needing revives.

These non-compressed shots look gorgeous.

They obviously look just like H4.
The ironing! Halo 4 doesn't look as good as you remember it people. Or if you replayed it in MCC, it doesn't look as good as you think it does.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm more than happy with Halo 4 graphics at a locked 60 fps and higher resolution - especially if they are going to have large scale battles.

I'll always take big huge battles over smaller scripted sequences with prettier graphics...

Madness

Is that Locke shot in-game, in-engine? Flying Forerunner vehicles attacking Covenant ones? Looks like we're going to get a crazy campaign as well as superb visuals. I've always wanted to have battles on a large scale, sort of like the opening of Revenge of the Sith, with that massive firefight over Coruscant.

jelly

Sounds good.

Are video game fingers on weapons ever proportional, maybe it's just the perspective but I've always thought the fingers look really weird.

Akai__

What's up with Locke's fingers in that screen by the way? I stared at it for 2 minutes and couldn't look away. Looks pretty weird, but it's probably just the angle of the shot.

Flag juggling being back is great news. The Noble armor looks great.

I hoped they would change that back. Was pretty annoying, especially if you picked it up on accident while holding a power weapon.

Also, Ground Pounding with the flag has a unique animation, where you would hold the Flag like a spear.

In the fathom map video there is a screenshot with the AR ammo counter at 36. Did they increase its magazine size?

We have like 3 different versions of the AR. Halo CE one had 60 shots per magazine for example.

Omni

Sounds like you might be visiting the multiplayer map locations?

Yeah, this is the only thing that worries me. It got so stale in Halo Reach. The maps were generally bad and boring and as a result the campaign got dull super quickly.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Halo 4 looked great but I didnt like the colors and covenant design in that game. Looks like this is gonna be similar :(

Akai__

Doesn't seem like the old jackals are coming back, only the newer dinosaur style Storm Jackals?

Ewwww. I hope that's only how that fanatic faction looks like. Arbiter's faction (and the others) should look like the older designs, imo. :/

Halo 4 looked great but I didnt like the colors and covenant design in that game. Looks like this is gonna be similar :(

Yup. Once a mission started with 1 or 2 colors, it was pretty much present throughout the whole level. Something colorful like "Halo 3: The Covenant" would be pretty cool.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I'm being sarcastic.

This game looks far better than H4.
I know, that why I said the ironing, because immediately after you posted that someone said it looked like 4. I mean, obviously 5 isn't going to have this 2560x1440 IQ ingame, but at least with these screens it's clear that the assets are higher fidelity than 4. With all the compressed shots and NDA test leaks going around people seemed to have forgotten the beta.

Ken

Why does Blue team have new generation armor? I assume the answer is books?

Oh wait, I forgot Halo 4 made it so the Spartans at Reach were wearing the current Chief armor.

jem0208

I know, that why I said the ironing, because immediately after you posted that someone said it looked like 4. I mean, obviously 5 isn't going to have this 2560x1440 IQ ingame, but at least with these screens it's clear that the assets are higher fidelity than 4. With all the compressed shots and NDA test leaks going around people seemed to have forgotten the beta.
Ohh, fair enough I see now.

Yeah, the compressed GI pictures have definitely not done any good.

I fixed it now, all is K.

JackHerer

Imagine if Halo 5 had multiplayer space battles where both Destiny and Battlefront don't. Not that I particularly want that in my Halo.

Madness

Ground Pound with the flag makes your Spartan hold it like a spear as he flies into an opponent’s skull

I wonder if all abilities can be done with the flag. Charge, slide, clamber. You just know flag runners are going to use ground pound as a means of quick map traversal. Could make for some interesting ctf matches.

TheXbox

Smart of them to introduce an Elite-class Promethean into the mix. Felt like there was something missing between the extremely shitty crawlers and the extremely difficult Knights. Make the Knights less spongey and the Watchers more versatile and the Prometheans stand to give the Covenant a run for their money.

From the article, more details on the revival system:

Seems to be like a hybrid of a straight revive system and the previous respawn mechanic. I imagine it'll be either revive or die in single player, maybe with the AI being immortal but needing revives.

The ironing! Halo 4 doesn't look as good as you remember it people. Or if you replayed it in MCC, it doesn't look as good as you think it does.

Is this all starting to remind anyone of Republic Commando a little? Or am I just late to the party on this?

Madness

This Helmet is ugly... :(

217403_capture.jpg

It looks ten times better than the armor in Halo 4. I'm loving the higher color saturation of the red vs blue in multi-player now. No more burnt orange and pastel blue washed out looks. They actually resemble the shiny renders that were deep red and blue when we saw them last year.

Top Bottom