• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic releases the Unreal Engine 4 demo "A Boy and His Kite"

18769341642_b299efc601_b.jpg

~6GB download

Alternatively you can download the 24 GB project in the launcher under the Learn tab.

To play in editor-
  • Load the GDC_landscape_01 map
  • Press play (I reccommend as a standalone)
  • Give it a minute
  • You should start in drone mode. Press numpad 0 for controls.
To play standalone-
  • Unzip "KiteDemo_Runtime" somewhere
  • Open KiteDemo.exe
Controls
Some shots

longdi

Banned
So i just download the 6GB zip and click some .exe?
Does it run on AMD GPU?
Non UE developer, just a neogaf member here.

Those system requirements!

I cannot wait to see it in real time... downloading now!

Also, that stoichiastic post processing!

Durante

Really damn impressive, especially how the shadowing is good both at short and very long distance. Also the amount of small-scale detail given that it's an open world demo, but the lighting is really what got me.

astonish

In before people complain about the crazy specs. Thats to run everything up in the editor with full 8K textures. Like all UE4, or probably any engine, you need significantly more RAM/specs to run the editor and everything. Also it was targeted at a 30fps for cinematics type scenario, not 60Hz/VR gameplay.

The runtime version of this ran surprisingly well on my 970GTX/16GB machine. I had a VSync tare issue and some temporal AA/motion blur funkiness, but much smoother than I had anticipated. Plus the PQ is amazing. Great AA, SSS, materials.

The fly around part was a bit of a letdown, at least wow factor wise. They are doing some really impressive lighting/material stuff, but it doesn't show as well outside of the hand-tweaked shots of the actual cinematic. The lanscape looked a little barren/flat compared to say some of the Unigine demos I've seen. At the sametime following along with the engines dev on the forums they rolled some super impressive stuff into the 4.8 update.

(Edit) FYI If you are running just the runtime version and it starts up with a black screen and nothing is happening, give it time. It's just the engine compiling the materials (2000+) used in the demo. Give it a couple minutes. This only happens first run. Also press the '0' key on the numpad to bring up the help/instructions screen.

astonish

Also I'm now allowing people to say, "Pixar level graphics," without me rolling my eyes and thinking, "This person probably doesn't even know what Gouraud shading is." We're clearly somewhere between Toy Story 2 and the original Monsters Inc in terms of perceived visuals, with some improvements over those in a few regards (PBR)

You're welcome.

If you want to run the demo in fullscreen and in a custom resolution (it's locked to 1080p windowed by default) make a shortcut of the .exe and add these parameters:

-bUseVSync=False -ResX=yourhorizontalres -ResY=yourverticalres -FullscreenMode=1 -Fullscreen

Evo X

Should be fine if you just run the demo. It only uses 4GB system ram for me, but close to 10GB vram usage (at 5k).

Ok, thanks. Downloading now.

If you want to run the demo in fullscreen and in a custom resolution (it's locked to 1080p windowed by default) make a shortcut of the .exe and add these parameters:

-bUseVSync=False -ResX=yourhorizontalres -ResY=yourverticalres -FullscreenMode=1 -Fullscreen

Good to know! Gonna try this out at 1440P on my Titan X and see how it fares.

Ushay

If thus what they can achieve realistically for an.open world game on the next generation platforms. Holy shit.

dogstar

Banned
It might be giving my PC some grief but it is still a magnificent experience. If only there was a game using this landscape.

2662d0c1e6c1801295c21c76702909bc.png

cb9cf6e8710df324de71623c2d89154e.png

6d408e95d58f6a544e62c52f7eda683e.png

06786a5a91a773a56f135a2c2870be41.png

d85c4c748b03b60b00ded813b733c63e.png

Hands down the best depth of field and motionblur I have ever seen in real time rendering on my computer.

Everything should do all the temporal stoichiastic shit they do to make it look the way it does. It is brilliant.

For example, with any other type of Depth of Field, that third screenshot would look rather terrible.

Top Bottom