• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired Morpheus Pre-E3 preview - mentions new Guerrilla game, Trackmania VR, Harmonix

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not sure if this went up early or not...

http://www.wired.com/2015/06/sony-morpheus/

Screen from Impulse Gear tech demo, from former Zipper folks. Uses the Sharpshooter move peripheral. This isn't necessarily going to be a game, but will be behind closed doors as a demo of FPS in VR. The article goes into some detail about it.

Large-932x503.jpg

“We need to convince PS4 owners to spend several hundred dollars to purchase a Morpheus headset, on top of the PS4 they already have,” says Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony’s Worldwide Studios

So there are small puzzle games. Relaxation games. First-person exploration games. Networked games where you can play with other people. Games where you can play a different game in a tabletop display—which, just to remind you, is in the virtual space. That is, you’re in a VR environment, playing a game you might have once played on a regular console. It’s like a 3-D version of picture-in-picture.

Sony is bringing close to 20 games and experiences to E3, which begins in Los Angeles tomorrow. Tonight at the company’s keynote event, it will announce games from multiple game studios: Sony-exclusive ones like Guerilla Games, but also third-party outfits and even small indie teams. There’ll be a VR version of Ubisoft’s Trackmania racing franchise; Harmonix Music VR, a music visualizer from the Rock Band developer; Wayward Pines, a new game from the team behind third-person shooter Monday Night Combat. This strange tech demo Luisi and his team cooked up will be at E3 as well—not on the show floor, but behind closed doors, where select journalists will glimpse what the future holds.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I guess it depends what we mean by 'several'. To me, several is 5, 6, 7... Maybe to Yoshida it means something else!

BadWolf

Well if he said a couple of hundred then that would be a dead give away.

Several hundred still puts it in the $199 and $299 ranges.

Vuze

Ugh, "several hundred dollars"... bad wording I hope. Can't see this above 299$.
Apart from that, thanks for the link, I'll read the article now!

Trackmania 2 on my dk2 is one of the best games ever, it's crazy how much presence you feel while getting hang time, it's surreal. Can't wait for Morpheus version!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
At least $299 is several hundred dollars. I expect Morpheus to be anywhere between $249 and $399, depending on how much Sony is willing not to gain profit from it. So it seems like a good quote. Nice to see Sony supporting it with games. Not the most #4theplayers kind of games, but looking good still.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Please tell me Guerilla's game is only compatible with the Morpheus and not REQUIRED.

I don't really have 200+$ to spend on a VR headset right now.

It's a VR headset. It's going to be expensive. My guess is at least $300, though I would not be surprised if it is $400 with the move controllers packed in.

Jb

Trackmania VR?
I'm actually pretty happy that it's coming to consoles... but why VR? It seems like such a weird choice. Unless it was a really simple and cheap process to optimize it for Morpheus.

kurahador

Whatever the price will be, I really hope there won't be any exclusive VR game.

VR should be an alternative (or the best way for some title) to play, not the only way to play.

glaurung

Wasn't there a leaked Austrian catalog that listed Morpheus for €399.

I could believe that price, but I think it is prohibitively expensive.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I feel like this article went up way early and they've totally fucked Sony's press conference.

I thought so initially too, but it seems like it's intended as a pre-show piece, not a piece from post-show that got out accidentally. It refers to the press conference 'tonight', and note that it gives no detail, not even a name, on the likes of Guerrilla's new game. If this was a premature publish of post-show content I think there'd be a lot more detail and specific names etc.

Please tell me Guerilla's game is only compatible with the Morpheus and not REQUIRED.
I dont think he mean guerilla is making vr games. Just saying guerilla is going to announce their new game (horizon).

Ex zipper guy is the one who will show a demo of what a future vr shooter might play like complete with the guns attachment from Socom.

SparkTR

Trackmania VR?
I'm actually pretty happy that it's coming to consoles... but why VR? It seems like such a weird choice. Unless it was a really simple and cheap process to optimize it for Morpheus.

I'm guessing it's an entirely separate thing than their main Trackmania games, like Trackmania DS. They were probably already developing it for Oculus/PC regardless.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't think $200 can be categorized as several hundred dollars. Unless this is a marketing scam, to make it sound more expensive so people will be relieved when they announce the price.

You mean the Sharpshooter is not dead? I had a fucking blast with it in Resistance 3, playing in 3D. I looked like a total badass doing it too.

Also this thing is gonna be $299-399 for sure depending on what comes packed in.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I dont think he mean guerilla is making vr games. Just saying guerilla is going to announce their new game (horizon).

It could be a mix-up, but given the context it seems like it could at least support VR. This article seems only to be about Morpheus stuff, that sentence seemed to me to be name-checking some Morpheus stuff to be announced tonight.

Writer could well have mixed stuff up a bit though. I think personally it would be kind of awesome if a studio like Guerrilla was making a 'for-VR' game - would be a big sign of commitment.

jaypah

I'm guessing it's an entirely separate thing than their main Trackmania games, like Trackmania DS. They were probably already developing it for Oculus/PC regardless.

The PC version was updated for VR early this year. And yeah, it's just as crazy as it sounds...those jumps 0_0

The article doesn't say Guerilla's game will be VR, but that ~20 PS games will be at this E3 and tonight there will be announcements including by Guerilla. And there's also going to be some VR games.

People freaking out over the several comment may want to consider that Yoshdia said that, and he's not a native English speaker. Even people that are will still sometimes use several to describe something that's more than one.

border

How is several hundred dollars even a surprise?

Oculus is already $350. How much did you think Sony was going to sell this for? They aren't going to lose money on it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
How much do people think you can produce a headtracking 1080p OLED VR device for and not think its gonna be around the $300 mark if not above?

You have to remember this isn't just some control peripheral, you're buying a screen (the display) as well.

AznSniper

It could be a mix-up, but given the context it seems like it could at least support VR. This article seems only to be about Morpheus stuff, that sentence seemed to me to be name-checking some Morpheus stuff to be announced tonight.

Writer could well have mixed stuff up a bit though. I think personally it would be kind of awesome if a studio like Guerrilla was making a 'for-VR' game - would be a big sign of commitment.

Actually it's not out of the realm of possibility. Maybe both Guerrilla studios are announcing their games. Guerrilla Amsterdam announces Horizon, and Guerrilla Cambridge announces a Morpheus game.

I'm surprised Sony let this article go up before their presser tonight.

I'm not sure where I stand on VR (especially since I haven't tried it), but it seems like Sony is prepared to put the necessary resources behind Morpheus to make it a success.

The "several hundred dollars quote is also interesting. I'm still wondering if Morpheus will ship with (new?) move controllers and the camera, since there are those that may already own those devices, plus the fact that the PS4 controller has the built in lightbar, so it's ready for being tracked already. If I had to guess, I'd say $199 for base Morpheus, or $299 for Morpheus with camera and move controllers.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The article doesn't say Guerilla's game will be VR, but that ~20 PS games will be at this E3 and tonight there will be announcements including by Guerilla. And there's also going to be some VR games.

20 PS games would be a very small number for everything...their published booth list already has something like 40-50 games on it.

I'm pretty sure the 20 in question are 20 Morpheus games/demos.

The full paragraph:

And that’s just one very small part of what Sony’s planning for Project Morpheus. The headset will be released in the first half of next year, but the company is using this week’s E3 gaming conference to win gamers’ hearts early. Sony is bringing close to 20 games and experiences to E3, which begins in Los Angeles tomorrow. Tonight at the company’s keynote event, it will announce games from multiple game studios: Sony-exclusive ones like Guerilla Games, but also third-party outfits and even small indie teams. There’ll be a VR version of Ubisoft’s Trackmania racing franchise; Harmonix Music VR, a music visualizer from the Rock Band developer; Wayward Pines, a new game from the team behind third-person shooter Monday Night Combat. This strange tech demo Luisi and his team cooked up will be at E3 as well—not on the show floor, but behind closed doors, where select journalists will glimpse what the future holds.

Could be wrong, but that seems to be talking about their VR presentation. Even if it is, though, of course they could have mixed in non-VR games in confusion.

Top Bottom