• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynamic Resolution for Halo 5?

Some people noticed this in the newest The Sprint Videos:

asdfers5t.png

dynamicr6vu5b.png

Peopler over Beyond3d noticed different Resolutions trough the campaign and warzone gameplay videos too.

And btw the height according to Beyond3D is 810.

So we go from 832x810 to 1920x810

Wouldn't surprise me, but we don't know how old builds of the sprint/E3 videos were so... probably not going to be confirmed for a while

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Interesting. Would make sense.

Depends on how it ends up in the final code though. If it has the capability to reach 1080p but spends 90% of the campaign at 900p or below, I would say it's a bad thing.

A good or bad thing?
If that technique means it never drops below 60fps I'm all for it, though I would have been OK with a locked 30fps all the same.

As long as it doesn't have jaggies and you can make out distant targets without eye strain (a problem I had with Halo 3), its all good.

Some people noticed this in the newest The Sprint Videos:

asdfers5t.png

Peopler over Beyond3d noticed different Resolutions trough the campaign and warzone gameplay videos too.

A good or bad thing?

Simply a byproduct of the XB1 to a degree.

They are really aiming for zero dips, locked 60FPS. It's not gonna be mind blowing visuals (as you saw in the E3 demo), but if they are aiming for it to play smooth like butter I have zero qualms with their goal.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think it's good if the framerate is solid, but hey I'm no expert on console wars.

It is only a console war, if you make it one.

This is about tech.

What I am curious about is how they will market this if it is scalable. More 1080pr?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Really not fussed. At all. I keep going back to it and will continue to do so, but Ryse will remain a shining beacon of why 900p is completely ok if the game looks great and can hold a stable frame rate.

L4nnist3r

If that technique means it never drops below 60fps I'm all for it, though I would have been OK with a locked 30fps all the same.

As long as it doesn't have jaggies and you can make out distant targets without eye strain (a problem I had with Halo 3), its all good.

Yeah, aliasing for me is a big of a deal although is goes hand to hand with resolution, but a game full of aliasing really kills the immersion for me.

There have been games such as W:TNO that had dynamic resolution and 60fps and I wouldn't have know if I didn't read about it.

Definitely interesting, but Frankie has reiterated that nothing resolution-related is locked in yet, and these are early test builds, so who knows what the final game will output at and whether or not it will be dynamic.

It's a good safety net to have when aiming for 60fps.

I kinda hope they go back into Master Chief Collection and impliment dynamic resolution so we can the campaigns locked to 60fps.

I'll always take framerate over resolution. (but not necessarily over fancier graphics, depending on the game)

But i dont remember TNO going low as 800p or whatever

Do we even know how low TNO went to?

Personally this doesn't bother me, it's good that they're aiming for 60fps, or possibly close to a locked 60fps if dynamic resolution is any indication. This will be the first 60fps Halo title.

RdN

Well, this is a rumor, of course.. But I think we all know that 1080p@60fps would be impossible.

For me, if this ends up being true, ti's the next best thing. Running on high res when things are calm and dropping when thing gets chaotic.

But the thing is, stuff tends to get chaotic pretty frequently on Halo. Hoping to see that dynamic res staying much at 1080p would be setting yourself for disappointment... But still, better than constantly at 720p or close.

They should have stayed at 30fps.

You're so, SO wrong that it's even difficult to express it.

LordOfChaos

Why does it say 33ms? That would be 30fps, ~16ms would be 60.

I'd go ahead and not put too much into this because of that.

It's hard to judge how I feel about this. Halo 5 hasn't really impressed me graphically at all aside from Bucks model which looks nice. However, I'm totally down for scale on the level of older Halo titles at 60fps, regardless of resolution.

But given that I haven't seen footage which manages to show scale of that level, and the only piece of single player we've gotten is tantamount to a scripted CoD-esque set piece, I can't help but feel disappointed.

Why does it say 33ms? That would be 30fps, ~16ms would be 60.

I'd go ahead and not put too much into this because of that.
In The Sprint, the game was running all over the place. Certainly wasn't optimized at that point. The FPS counter says 30 here:
qEvYwXm.png

That all said, I wouldn't take anything we saw in the Sprint as final.

Top Bottom