• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore has been in development for 14 months, just going into production

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

rokkerkory

That's great to hear but looking more like it'll be out a year from now at the earliest?

MS was able to keep this quiet for 14 months, that's pretty good. lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What does "full production" mean vs "in development"?

They had a pre-production team of a pretty limited number of people (usually say 10-20 or so) and now they'll have everyone on it they need to make the content.

Like Dragon Age: Inquisition had a team of 30 for a long time and then ballooned up to 400+ for production.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/23/8823747/recore-trailer-story-behind-scenes-interview-inafune

Do we know if this is a downloadable game btw? That's a relatively tight full production schedule.

It's out Spring 2016.

That will be just over 2 years if the game comes out in May. That's a decent dev cycle if multiplayer isn't a thing. I also assume the game will be pretty repayable given the developers working on it.

14 months of pre-production and 12 months of full-production.

That's... super tight for a small team.

It might be a bigger team than we think. Comcept, Armature, and MS Studios all have people working on it. Inafune called it a 3-way collaboration in an interview.

From what I understand with game development, you do a lot of the concepting of both world and mechanics with a small team early on, and then when you have an idea of where you're going is when you get the whole studio working to make content for the game. That's when it enters full production.

Just like how a film has a "pre-production" phase of planning and making creative decisions before filming begins.

hawk2025

That will be just over 2 years if the game comes out in May. That's a decent dev cycle if multiplayer isn't a thing. I also assume the game will be pretty repayable given the developers working on it.

Best not to set those expectations yet.

We don't know much about the game.

I'm guessing it will be a smaller game(?) or a budget game at $40. I can't see how it will be out Spring 2016 otherwise(?) just seems too short to me

Big AAA titles generally have a production cycle (not pre-production, full production) cycle of 18+ months.

12 months isn't unheard of, but it's getting rarer these days.

Omg Polygon's writing is just so bad.

ROUND 1
ReCore's debut is a case study in video game marketing.

They start with the abstract, with mystery, with a tantalizing skeleton. This looks interesting, we think, and want to know more. Some time later, they add meat to the bones: gameplay and story details, some sort of twist and innovation. Oh, that's cool, we think, and we want to play the game even more. Anticipation builds, over months or years, until its release when millions are not only aware but interested.

It's like the editors at Polygon say "Challenge: Say as little as possible about a topic in as many words as possible. GO"

Doffen

Sounds like downloadable.
But from what I understand this will be mainly developed by Armature with creative support from Comcept, and developer support from Microsoft Studios.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From what I understand with game development, you do a lot of the concepting of both world and mechanics with a small team early on, and then when you have an idea of where you're going is when you get the whole studio working to make content for the game. That's when it enters full production.

Just like how a film has a "pre-production" phase of planning and making creative decisions before filming begins.

Yes. A lot of studios roll two projects due to this (shifting staff between them) and/or have the extra staff work on DLC for the previous game.

It prevents cyclical layoffs or having to hire so many temps.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Sounds like downloadable.
But from what I understand this will be mainly developed by Armature with creative support from Comcept, and developer support from Microsoft Studios.

The devs are calling it a AAA title, though I guess that doesn't mean much with the way that term is throw around now.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
i hope they're quick to get some gameplay out there, becasue Cgi trailers dont do anything for me at all.

I think in the Kinda Funny interview Inafune mentioned wanting to show a playable prototype but that it was held for marketing reasons. Not sure if that was the correct wording or if something got lost in translation, though.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Actually dig into your fund buttholes and give this one another quarter in the can, Microsoft. Summer is a good time to launch a new IP, while Spring 2016 is already looking fairly crazy.

Ridley327

I wish Armature would take their time.

This seems too tight of a production schedule for an unproven dev.

This isn't even the first time Pacini has had to crunch really hard, given how quickly Metroid Prime 2 followed on the heels of the first game and, shockingly, had pretty much nothing recycled between the two games.

hawk2025

This isn't even the first time Pacini has had to crunch really hard, given how quickly Metroid Prime 2 followed on the heels of the first game and, shockingly, had pretty much nothing recycled between the two games.

Armature isn't Retro, though, this is a new IP, and that was more than a decade ago.

It still took them 2 years.

_machine

If you want to educate yourself about game development more, especially when it comes to the really, really important pre-production versus production, I can heartily recommend watching an oldie but goodie: DICE 2002 - The Cerny Method.

Basically pre-production and production are two, very, very different parts of game development. Pre-production is about finding the technology, the production pipelines, the game and and more importantly finding the fun and defining the core vision. It results in a playable version of the game, in a good pre-production it usually results in a vertical slice that "feels" like a part of a proper game.

Production on the other hand is the process of building the full game and everything necessary to succesfully launch the game. You should have a core vision to go towards with a necessary pipelines and technology to reach it and being able to iterate upon that vision to make a really solid product.

14 months of pre-production sounds really good from a production perspective and I think it should help result in a great product for us.

shinnn

If I remember correctly, Sunset Overdrive also entered full production after E3 2013. People were "worried" about it being an 2015 title. It shipped Oct. 2014. For a open world game with multiplayer I think that was a tight schedule too.

Quantum Break in other hand failed miserably.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
If I remember correctly, Sunset Overdrive also entered full production after E3 2013. People were "worried" about it being an 2015 title. It shipped Oct. 2014. For a open world game with multiplayer I think that was a tight schedule too.

Quantum Break in other hand failed miserably.

I was about to point out Sunset as well.

Dabanton

No way QB gets delayed again.

iirc it's pretty much 'done' and Remedy was using the time left to fine-tune the game to a crazy degree.

Guess we'll see at Gamescom. Not long to wait now.

Arrage

Banned
30 people x 12 months. Looking at studio's history they don't seem to have proper experience with this gen games, mostly ports.

Short development cycle, understaffed and low experience. It is unlikely that this game is going to be any good compared to other 60$ games. The game must be between 20-40$.

Keep in mind that this studio is also working on the Bloodstained port (as well as UE4 technology for unsupported platforms), so the studio isn't dedicating 100% resources to Recore.

Skeff

I think it might be a little better for everyone to release this in the summer rather than spring, 12 months of full production is not long and the spring schedule is pretty packed as it is already.

KieranD

Banned
No way, Quantum Break won't get delayed again.

I would expect this to get pushed back before that happens, especially with this schedule.

Quantum Break was delayed for Uncharted. MS needs a game for that time.

14 months plus another year before it releases not worried plenty of time to develop the game.. No actual gameplay seen before end of 2015 that's a problem, but not worried just yet.

rokkerkory

Hoping for the best here but if it slips then that's okay as long as it makes the game better. Fall 2016 at the latest please.

Top Bottom