• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki: Shenmue 3 Funding and Budget Statement

MouldyK

Posting this so we can put an end to the threads questioning it:

Yu Suzuki said:
There have been many questions concerning Shenmue 3’s budget and what outside sources will be added to the money collected through Kickstarter. I apologize for not having been more forthright in this area and would like to take this opportunity to help clarify the situation.

Ys Net and I have been putting in many long years trying to find a way to bring back a sequel that so many fans have waited so long for. After learning of Kickstarter, I knew it would be possible to get Shenmue 3 started. Wanting to make the best game possible, I also knew that I would have to look to more traditional means to obtain all the funds that would be needed to create the game I had envisioned.

Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game. Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel that will stand proud with its predecessors. While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements, I can say that with their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support as well, Ys Net is able to use more of the money we collect through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3’s development. It is also important to note that your funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 – Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars.

The outpouring of support from all of you, the backers, has been so inspirational. I cannot thank you enough. Having reached our funding goal, I am excited to say that the Shenmue story will go on, and our journey with Ryo and Shenhua will continue. Fans will be able to enjoy the sequel they have waited so long for, and newcomers to the series will be introduced to a unique gaming experience.

Of course, like with any Kickstarter, additional funding will only help us make a better game. On top of everything Shenmue 3 will already bring, the Stretch Goals that I have laid out will add extra quests, events, and new gameplay systems that will make the game even more immersive and take the series to the next level. At the $5 million mark, there will be an all new gameplay feature I would be excited to be able to add to the Shenmue legacy. If we should make the $10 million Stretch Goal, a much larger, completely open world will be yours to explore.

Even if these Stretch Goals are not reached, Shenmue 3 will already be a sequel true to its name, and one we can all be proud of. It is my hope though, that together we can make this Shenmue just as revolutionary as the first two were.

I understand this statement may by late in coming. Going forward, we wish to be as open as possible concerning the game’s development. I would like to again ask for your cooperation and support in helping make Shenmue 3 the best that it can be.

Sincerely, Yu Suzuki

Summary (put this in the OP)

- Sony and Shibuya Productions won't be seeing any KS money
- No PS4 Physical version as a KS goal because of this
- All KS money going straight into Shenmue 3 development
- $5 million for new gameplay feature, $10 million for huge open world.

Come on guys, keep pledging!!

Resilient

Summary (put this in the OP)

- Sony and Shibuya Productions won't be seeing any KS money
- No PS4 Physical version as a KS goal because of this
- All KS money going straight into Shenmue 3 development
- $5 million for new gameplay feature, $10 million for huge open world.

Come on guys, keep pledging!!

Danlord

Ys Net, Sony, et al. can not be anymore transparent about the funding for Shenmue III unless they released confidential documents detailing specific budgets; the fuss some people created was just wholly unnecessary and hopefully, this puts to rest any more talk about it.

fedexpeon

Banned
Good thing they clear it up a bit, but they didn't really need to do so in the first place since business contract and deal are NDA and can't be shared with the public.
People just need to use their head instead of being so fearful of corporation and using scare tactic like Polygon.

BiggNife

It's still incredibly vague as to how much money Sony and Shibuya Productions are putting towards the project, which is the main question most people had. But it's still a lot more information than we had a week ago, so it's still a good thing.

openrob

img_1550313527861176vupe.jpeg

Just saw this on fb and thought it was fitting :)

It's as it has always been known, external support is provided so the KS funds go directly into development, instead of marketing for instance

benzy

Well there it is. Hoping we can at least get him enough funds to add in his new gameplay ideas. Really curious about "much larger, and completely open world" of $10m though.

tfqlyibhxe.gif

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I really want to see the open world. I am not confident in this game reaching 10 mil, though. :/

Current estimates put it at 4 to 6 million.

Frankly, I'm not sure how they would handle an open world game both via game-play and technically unless they brought in new people.

Giolon

It was interesting to see to me how the KS funding pretty quickly dried up once Sony's financial involvement became known. It could've been just a coincidence on the timing, but it seemed like excitement cooled off once it was revealed that the KS wasn't as forthright as it should've been.

By comparison, it seemed like almost nobody had a problem with the way Bloodstained handled their additional funding b/c it was disclosed in the pitch itself rather than as an "oh by the way..." later on.

Zafir

It's still incredibly vague as to how much money Sony and Shibuya Productions are putting towards the project, which is the main question most people had. But it's still a lot more information than we had a week ago, so it's still a good thing.
He straight up stated before that the majority of the development funding would be coming from the Kickstarter. That alone tells you that they aren't putting much in at all.

Sony should at least match fund this! I don't quite understand, are Sony giving them nothing in terms of funding? Just money towards marketing?

FuturusX

Too late, pitchforks have been raised and the angry mob have left already.

Anybody with half brain knew what the deal was from the very beginning. But too many were too eager to call foul.

Also let this be your litmus test for the self appointment internet journalists, whom like the idea of being Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein but are unwilling to put in the work.

I just can't fund this thinking there's still going to be a physical PS4 version of the game announced afterward. I really wish they could offer it straight up and I'd pledge immediately.

Coxy

I hope every site involved in spreading the FUD will now do their best to spread this and undo the damage they've done, but I doubt it

fedexpeon

Banned
this answers nothing. The one question people were still confused about is still left unanswered/confidential

Well no shit.
These people need to get their head check if they think they could get this answer without being an investor or associated with the project.
Sony doesn't need to be transparent with business deals...that would be giving their competitor an advantage in knowing their strategy.

kamakazi5

This makes me so mad that I had to drop my pledge. I want to do everything I can but I ended up needing to pay for something extra that I hadn't planned on. I still have a few weeks to see what I can do but my wife was already not happy about putting down the money.

_Zento

I think at this point anyone that still thinks Sony is funding development wasn't going to donate anyway.

...then buy it when it comes out.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The most money a video game has received on Kickstarter is $5.5 million (which places it as 8th most funded project ever), there are only 3 Kickstarters ever that have ever received over $10 million.

I think Shenmue 3 may become the most funded game ever and take the 6-8th most funded thing ever slot, but there is very little chance it's getting over $10 million.

And yet some will still argue that something smells fishy about all this. It wouldn't be so bad if it were just random people on messgae boards slinging the mud, but we have "professional" game sites like Polygon slinging right along with them.

I hope this puts an end to the bickering and we get on to the business of fully funding this game, but I'm sorry to say I'm not hopeful on either of those fronts.

this answers nothing. The one question people were still confused about is still left unanswered/confidential
And here we go...

gdt

It's almost tragic that fucking Shenmue 3 is having issues with its funding right now on KS. It should be a lot higher than it is.

Steroyd

Think of it like this, instead of any of the kickstarter money going towards advertising and licensing fees, dev kits etc, Shibuya and Sony are footing that side of the bill and all kickstarter money goes to Shenmue development.

Sony should at least match fund this! I don't quite understand, are Sony giving them nothing in terms of funding? Just money towards marketing?

Marketing money (which isn't a small thing in any way, shape, or form), more than likely all the dev kits they need, probably a direct line to some people internally at Sony in terms of tech support, and I'd guess that the publishing help includes helping with the QA of the game.

MilkBeard

Well no shit.
These people need to get their head check if they think they could get this answer without being an investor or associated with the project.
Sony doesn't need to be transparent with business deals...that would be giving their competitor an advantage in knowing their strategy.

Pretty much this. It's not our concern. Our concern is to help make Shenmue III the best it can be by helping spread the word. If Sony was bankrolling it then there would be no need for a Kickstarter.

FuturusX

It's almost tragic that fucking Shenmue 3 is having issues with its funding right now on KS. It should be a lot higher than it is.

I'd like to have seen a higher target, crowd funding will always slow down once you hit the target or the initial push has been met.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
What a mess. I can't believe how much opposition this KS has gotten, of all the projects. The funding has virtually screeched to a halt. By now they'd be really lucky to reach $5 mil.

Good jon, Kuchera.

Ys Net, Sony, et al. can not be anymore transparent about the funding for Shenmue III unless they released confidential documents detailing specific budgets; the fuss some people created was just wholly unnecessary and hopefully, this puts to rest any more talk about it.

You know it won't. The very fact Sony is helping pisses off a lot of people...why, I don't fucking know.

MilkBeard

It's not, really. Shenmue III is more than a million above its funding goal. Of course it could be handled better, and I'm sure they are working on ways to reach full potential. But the game is definitely coming.

Finally a direct letter that tackles a lot of the questions surrounding this game. The PS4 physical copy as a goal is out of his hands and rightly so as this is funding his company only. That doesn't mean they're won't be one, just not one supplied as a reward from this kickstarter. I am still happy to have a physical PC box copy at 60 bucks.

Will the suspicion end? I doubt it. Somehow people want full transparency about funding of this game despite this not being normal practice for most projects.

Arzehn

This is the reality. The Kickstarter hasn't stalled because of the "controversy" it's stalled because it's Shenmue. The game right out of the gate broke records because the hardcore fans donated right away, but this is exactly why this game wasn't made by Sega or fully funded by Sony. It's a game with a very vocal fanbase that's already donated, there just isn't that many more people that care about Shenmue enough to blindly back this project.

TimmiT

What a mess. I can't believe how much opposition this KS has gotten, of all the projects. The funding has virtually screeched to a halt. By now they'd be really lucky to reach $5 mil.

Good jon, Kuchera.

I think the lack of clarity is more to blame than the people criticizing it. That being said, some people do expect a bit too much out of this Kickstarter. They're being as clear as they can be at this point.

I won't be able to donate until almost the end but I'll be putting in what I can. I hope that it can reach at least 5 million (I'm confident it will) and wish for the 10 million goal. I also wish that maybe 5 million was the base goal. It would have been insane but it feels like the 2 million was short sighted and it slowed down due to that.

Top Bottom