• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calling all Sony insiders: will this year's TGS be Sony's "Japanese E3"

Status
Not open for further replies.
main.jpg

^ Dates in case anybody needs them

TGS has been a bit of a non-event for years now, quite the contrast from it's heyday...

But as packed as Sony's E3 conference was, it still lacked a number of Japanese titles heavily rumoured in Verendus' list that has otherwise proven accurate so far.

It seems Sony is making a big effort to boost the presence of the Japanese industry this gen and little comments here and there from Shu have suggested that TGS this year could be bigger for Sony than years past. I guess it would make sense for it to be a coming out party for the Level 5 JRPG, Gravity Rush 2, a new project of SCEJ, the rumoured Parasite Eve sequel etc. etc. etc.

I'm not asking Verendus and the other insiders to leak anything more as they've already leaked plenty and done so in a way that hasn't ruined surprises so I think they're doing a great job already this generation.

But I would like some kind of indication as to how much to anticipate TGS as being a big show for Sony, on the level of PSX with announcements and whatnot? Do we expect this to be Sony's "Japanese E3"?

kadotsu

Banned
Paris Games Week will eat some of the announcements and I would advice against getting hyped for any press conferences.

At least the translators will be back and that's all that matters.

Philippo

Don't think it's pretty wise to directly call out people who leaks stuff, pretty sure they want to keep their identities secret.
But yeah, this year TGS should be pretty big, although most of the stuff hinted seems to be much further away

tumblr_myfnug5ytm1s4ip2qo1_500.gif

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Based on Sony's messaging lately, I wouldn't be surprised if they make an honest effort to rehabilitate TGS and reserve hype moments for it.

Neff

All the best TGS stuff is likely to be multiplat.

With the exception of Scalebound of course, which is XB1 only :p

I'm not a Sony insider. I don't particularly give a shit about the Playstation brand anymore, even though I'm still happy to endorse/buy Playstation hardware/games.

Go_Ly_Dow

DQXI, a Level 5 PS4 RPG and perhaps a new Sony 1st Party JRPG would be a very good show coupled with the already announced games.

Based on Sony's messaging lately, I wouldn't be surprised if they make an honest effort to rehabilitate TGS and reserve hype moments for it.

Let's face it all it would take is 2-3 notable announcements (Level 5 project, Parasite Eve 2, Gravity Rush 2) and a couple updates on projects we already know about (final SFV roster, some more TLG, Bloodborne expansion) and you've got a top level show.

Then again I'm saying that from the perspective of a westerner, I wonder what TGS needs in order for it to be seen as a success in the eyes of Japanese consumers?

Go_Ly_Dow

DMC5, new Chrono, Suikoden, Monster Hunter PS4....what else do you guys want?

Because this is the year we get whatever we ask for.

BELIEVE!

I wonder if there's still a Puppeteer team or if they all got mixed up into other projects.

My guess of Japan Studio's current internal structure :

3-4 creative teams:
Team Gravity
Team Puppeteer
What's left of Team Knack/Ico

2 full-time production teams.

So only two full-time projects at any time, but there'll still be the creative directors working on pre-production, pitches, etc, while waiting for their turn to get the resources to make their game.

Gavin Moore probably has to wait till Gravity Daze 2 or TLG ships first before he can make his next game.

Philippo

Sony's TGS be like:
-Bloodborne Epxansion
-The Last Guardian
-Gravity Rush 1+2
-New SCEJ project (wether it's one of the supposed JRPGs/something else idk)
-Level-5 New IP
-Dragon Quest XI
-Street Fighter V
-Dragon's Dogma Online
-Deep Down
-CyberConnect2 Project (working on 3 titles iirc)
-Tales of Berseria
-Tekken 7 / Soul Calibur
-Smaller games like Yoru no Nai Kuni, Ys8, Atelier Sophie and so on, plus new announcements

+ Persona 5 if it's not released in Japan by then

Could be a pretty big showing IMHO.

Alo0oy

Banned
All the best TGS stuff is likely to be multiplat.

With the exception of Scalebound of course, which is XB1 only :p

I'm not a Sony insider. I don't particularly give a shit about the Playstation brand anymore, even though I'm still happy to endorse/buy Playstation hardware/games.

If by multiplat, you mean PS4/PS3, then probably.

Walpurgis

Banned
Not an insider. I expect a Level-5 game announcement (maybe 2?), at least 1 of the rumoured Sony JRPG's from SCEJ, Gravity Daze 2 for PS4 (no Vita), more on The Last Guardian but no new announcements from Square Enix. However, I do expect to hear more on Nier 2, Project Setsuna, Star Ocean 5, World of Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Final Fantasy XII HD, Kingdom Hearts HD PS4, Kingdom Hearts III and of course, Final Fantasy XV. I also expect at least one new thing from Capcom, if they have any shame at least. I think it will be a very good conference.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Let's face it all it would take is 2-3 notable announcements (Level 5 project, Parasite Eve 2, Gravity Rush 2) and a couple updates on projects we already know about (final SFV roster, some more TLG, Bloodborne expansion) and you've got a top level show.

Then again I'm saying that from the perspective of a westerner, I wonder what TGS needs in order for it to be seen as a success in the eyes of Japanese consumers?
At this point, oh yeah... 2-3 notable announcements would be better than what we've had in years.

What a bizarre thread to make, as if the insiders are just going to pop in and say "yeah, it's totally going to be Japanese E3."

If you're going into TGS these days expecting anything more than a couple new Musou games and hunting games, you're doing it wrong.

Dark_castle

JRPG #1
JRPG #2
JRPG #3
JRPG #4
JRPG #5
New Shadow Hearts
Final Fantasy spin-off RPG
New SE console RPG IP
Final Fantasy X spin-off
FF7 spin-off
FF6 remake
Square Enix crossover game
New Parasite Eve
Monster Hunter PS4
DMC5
New Capcom TPS IP (Because we need more TPS)
New EA IP
New Ubisoft IP
New Prince of Persia
New Naval RPG
New Cyberpunk Action/Adventure/RPG IP
New Sega Action/Adventure IP
New Marvel Action/Adventure title
New Soul Calibur
New Rockstar IP

Verendus's list.

Not an insider. I expect a Level-5 game announcement (maybe 2?), at least 1 of the rumoured Sony JRPG's from SCEJ, Gravity Daze 2 for PS4 (no Vita), more on The Last Guardian but no new announcements from Square Enix. However, I do expect to hear more on Nier 2, Project Setsuna, Star Ocean 5, World of Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Final Fantasy XII HD, Kingdom Hearts HD PS4, Kingdom Hearts III and of course, Final Fantasy XV. I also expect at least one new thing from Capcom, if they have any shame at least. I think it will be a very good conference.

Even that would be more than practically the last 4 TGSs combined lol.

Dynasty Warriors 9 or whatever it'll be called will be announced around that time. Level 5's game too.

Namco will probably announce a Gundam game to get a slice of that Japanese pie. Grand Kingdom will either come out around that time or get a holiday release date.

I'd imagine Sengoku Basara would get a teaser for the 5th game since the last expansion pack is dropping next month.

More information on Dragon Quest Heroes 2 will drop.

Really, a ton of mid-tier announcements will probably come around this time as Japan finally transitions to the next gen systems. Or system. We might see a few cross gen games here and there, but I think a majority will be PS4/maybe Vita as 2016 approaches.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
DMC5 seems very doubtful considering Capcom said it depends on DMC4SE sales. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Verendus's list.

That's the old list.

FF Spinoff RPG is World of FF
New SE console RPG IP is Project Setsuna
Square Enix crossover game is NieR 2
New EA IP is Unravel
New Ubisoft IP is For Honor
New Naval RPG is Sea of Thieves

You should also make sure to point out that two of those he wasn't sure about.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Expect games

Ni no kuni sequel and remaster of the original
Gravity rush sequel and remaster of the original
Kingdom hearts remaster for pS4
Final fantasy XII remaster

Thats all I needs.

If it was anything like last years then we'll get some good announcements for sure. I suspect Gravity Rush 2 for PS4 and Level 5's PS4 game will show up at the very least, and we'll get another look at Ys 8 since that's been M.I.A since it's announcement last September.

That aside it's anyone's guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom