• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V News - One Disc, Roster Selection Process, Stages, Long Term, etc

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Eventhub posted their article based on their interview with Matt Dahlgren, the Director of Brand Marketing & eSports at Capcom. I wouldn't provide full copy and paste, so if you want to read whole article, click here.

On Roster Selection Process and Long Term plan

"If you looked at how we handled Street Fighter 4, it was the dominant fighting game of that generation of consoles, we're expecting the same from Street Fighter 5, so we are thinking long term," he stated.

We did not just follow the poll rankings as law, there's a lot of elements that come into play when creating a roster and gameplay styles, and it's not necessarily our job to give fans exactly what they want — it's our job to be innovative and give fans what they don't even know they want yet," he said.

On Style and Tone, fresh takes on old faces, and brand new characters

"A good example for our tone is Birdie," said Dahlgren. "I don't think anyone really saw him coming, but we had this really cool character design — he's practically a new character in himself — but he doesn't take up one of the slots we have for brand new fighters.

"Very soon in the future, you will see brand new characters for the franchise," noted Dahlgren.

On Stages

"Every character won't have a stage based on them, but we will be staying true to the Street Fighter franchise in bringing new locations throughout the globe to the game in the form of new stages, but there won't be parity between characters and stages.

One Disc

"This is the only disc you're ever going to need to own to get all of the content in the game, but we'll be revealing details of how our post-launch content happens at a later date, but it will be good news," he concluded.

I'm glad that we finally got a confirmation on One Disc.

Great to see it won't get multiple editions. Everynsingle one sells worse and leaves players behind. This is how it should be done.

PirateKing

Every single fighting game needs to be one version. Killer Instinct way is the best way. Hopefully the post content stuff isn't over priced (characters).

i wonder if they can get a nice mix of cheaper for us, yet more ambitious with DLC. Invest in long term value + player retention, rather than "well....we can count X number of staying, though Y number will not upgrade" kind of calculation that splinters the audience.

kewlbot

i hope they still do the "super" "turbo" "ultra" or whatever subtitles they use in updated versions though. its like a tradition now, i'd really miss it

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Really glad to hear about there being only one disc. The multiple versions of SF4 left me behind, and I just lost all enthusiasm for purchasing another after Super.

Sheroking

Every single fighting game needs to be one version. Killer Instinct way is the best way. Hopefully the post content stuff isn't over priced (characters).

I keep hearing this but I don't agree with it.

A bunch of new content all at once, with a yearly balance patch, sparks interest and fundamentally changes the game in a way top players won't fully unlock for months on end. Bleeding characters out one at a time opens the door to shittier pricing decisions and I think hurts the variety of that games online environment.

I would far prefer to have a yearly title update like Ultra. ~$15 for a handful of new characters, stages with a sweeping balance update than random balance updates, and a new character every few weeks than the KI "seasons" model.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
"One disc" doesn't necessarily mean the end of revisions. Vanilla -> Super SF4 was the only revision in that series that required a new disc.

The lack of character-specific stages is disappointing. Not a huge loss, I guess. Hopefully we get a couple of character reveals at Comic Con and Evo.

Urien must be in this game.

VariantX

"One disc" doesn't necessarily mean the end of revisions. Vanilla -> Super SF4 was the only revision in that series that required a new disc.

That's because they didn't put the hooks in for updates. I don't think capcom believed the game would have been as successful as it was to even think about updates.

Yeah. I'm sure they will periodically release a disc with all the content up to then for $40 like with SFIV. For big updates I expect some title changes. I feel Super Street Fighter V will happen.

The "Killer Instinct way", is just the Super SF4 way.

Ever since 2010, everything from SF4 has been dlc updates.

And that's the only revision that was actually problematic.

Super wasn't even problematic. It added TEN characters, more stages, more modes, complete rebalance, and new ultras for everyone in the game. It didn't cost $60 (only 40) and was released more than a year later.

JayEH

I imagine they're still going to charge for big updates. The one disc thing doesn't really change much if that's the case. Just now everything will be all digital.

Yep.

Yeah. I'm sure they will periodically release a disc with all the content up to then for $40 like with SFIV. For big updates I expect some title changes. I feel Super Street Fighter V will happen.

The Ken Bogard rumor we got after the announcement has been entirely correct so far, and he said that they're dropping the different versions. He said that there will be one version of SFV and it'll just be continually updated.

Then again the characters additions we got after Super were probably made with budget in mind. Arcade Edition has versions of two existing characters and then two twin characters. While Ultra had the Tekken x Street Fighter characters and another character who was easier to make than a wholly original character.

This time they seem committed to the original version so I'm sure the DLC characters will be great.

Nick_C

Super wasn't even problematic. It added TEN characters, more stages, more modes, complete rebalance, and new ultras for everyone in the game. It didn't cost $60 (only 40) and was released more than a year later.

By problematic I think they were referring to the fact that you lost your online ranking and all points and unlocks tied to it.

Bloodrage

Banned
Well they probably have around 10 more characters to announce, and the game comes out in Feb or March. That's at least one character every month!
That does make the most sense.

Way to blow up the people thinking Xbone would get a Super SFV version and all that stuff.
Didn't we already have a thread on this? Here's the article. It's never coming. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-will-never-get-a-version-of-street-fighter-5-/1100-6427987/

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I think it's smart move by Capcom to decided with one disc since they would save a lot of money by avoiding manufacturing costs (packages, discs, etc)

Omega

Banned
i kind of wish they would bring back character stages. i didn't like how SF4 just had these random environments.

i kind of wish they would bring back character stages. i didn't like how SF4 just had these random environments.

They weren't totally random. They were designed to be shared stages. It's why instead of country they're described by continent. I agree with you though. The atmosphere of SF is traveling around fighting people. That loses its value when a character doesn't have a matching locale.

An advantage to a smaller cast is that it's more feasible to make stages for each. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Gren

But even if you didn't care about the DLC characters, you still had to buy the full upgrade(s) if you wanted to use the most up-to-date version of your old main with players that did buy it.

As long as they actually stick to this plan, it sounds more practical for the majority of consumers.

EDIT: Wait, my bad. They haven't necessarily confirmed that updates will be done in KI style, just that they'll never reprint another physical copy. They could still very well do things akin to AE/Ultra style :p

I swear to god if Karin got ignored again then count me out.

If Karin doesn't make it then it's most likely because Capcom couldn't get the licensing worked out. Otherwise I can't imagine her missing the cut. ChocoBlanka interviewed Justin, KBrad, PRBalrog and Ricki at E3 and asked them which character they wanted to see return, and all of them said they wanted her back. There's no doubt that Alex and Karin are the two most requested characters at this point.

Jetman

"Every character won't have a stage based on them, but we will be staying true to the Street Fighter franchise in bringing new locations throughout the globe to the game in the form of new stages, but there won't be parity between characters and stages.

<Sigh> Only bad thing about this news. Is it really That much of a tax on resources in this day and age to do character exclusive stages/music?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Capcom doesn't have the full rights to her.

I don't think it's that hard to make a deal with the creator since they have no problem with Strider. At long, there is a demand for her then Capcom would consider to do it or not.

They said that Strider got in UMVC3 because of the fans itself.

Top Bottom