• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Butoden 2 exclusive to Amazon US preorders of DBZ: Extreme Butoden

Takao

Banned
IKBQ9F0.jpg

Kanzenshuu:
The official Facebook page for Dragon Ball video games announced today that a Virtual Console download version of Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 2, the 1993 Super Famicom (SNES) game, will be exclusive to American gamers ordering Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden for the Nintendo 3DS via Amazon:

The same six Z-Assist characters (young Son Goku, Garlic Jr., Super Vegetto, Metal Coola, baby Son Goku, and young Son Gohan) will also be available to those who pre-order the game.

Extreme Butōden is available to pre-order on Amazon for $29.99. The game launches in the Americas 20 October 2015.

In Europe, the Super Butōden 2 download will be available to all gamers pre-ordering Extreme Butōden, including the New Nintendo 3DS bundle.

Despite what the image says, I'm pretty sure this isn't a Virtual Console release.

Just a reminder that SB2 on 3DS won't be in English and has a different soundtrack from its SNES release.

bigkrev

Yeah, the actual news here is that SNES games are apparently coming to 3DS Virtual Console. Someone should probably make a thread about that.

Takao

Banned
SNES VC on 3DS incoming?!

Yeah, the actual news here is that SNES games are apparently coming to 3DS Virtual Console. Someone should probably make a thread about that.

Don't take this as a sign of anything like that. Bandai Namco released a collection of NES/SNES ports on 3DS in Japan in 2013. Super Butoden 2 was one of the games included.

Nice. Guess I'll be preordering from Amazon, then.

Still kind of blows my mind that they're actually offering this outside of Japan.

They aren't. Bamco has their own SNES emulator that they used for a 3DS Jump legacy compilation in Japan that also had Butouden 2. That's what they're using here.

Ashkeloth

Naked sleeping baby Goku support character goes down as the strangest preorder bonus I've ever seen.

I guess the free game's cool, too.

Effect

It has no online multiplayer, which is mindblowing for 2015.

Any idea how much content is in the game though?

Been riding a Dragon Ball high since finally watching Battle of the Gods and the first episode of Dragon Ball Super. I'm willing to overlook the online if the other content is decent.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The game doesn't even have a training mode.

Any idea how much content is in the game though?

Been riding a Dragon Ball high since finally watching Battle of the Gods and the first episode of Dragon Ball Super. I'm willing to overlook the online if the other content is decent.

Been reading that the single player stuff is pretty boring. Not sure how ArcSys managed to screw up a fighting game (I enjoyed some of their previous DBZ titles, too), but I played the demo on my Japanese 3DS and it got old fast. The game is too simplistic, lacks content, and no online play sealed the deal to make this a pass.

Takao

Banned
Will the assist characters be unlockable without a preorder?

In Japan, the preorder bonus characters are actually all unlockable via cheat codes lol. The only characters that aren't available in the game through that are SSGSS Goku (unlocked via save data from demo), Gine and Jaco (actual DLC needing a voucher from some book).

Piccoro

Apparently all the Super Butouden 2 BGM's have been replaced. I forgot Kenji Yamamoto did the music.

This and the exclusion of online are making me hesitant to purchase this.

Didn't the Butouden 2 version in Jump collection 3DS had the music intact?
How does the new music compare to the Yamamoto soundtrack (which was godlike)?

So many questions...

Percy

Banned
This kind of pre-order incentive was what was supposed to be from the invention of the virtual console. Sad it took so long.

I can remember getting a GB Kid Icarus game download with my pre-order of KI Uprising as well, but yeah... it's definitely the sort of incentive I'd have liked to see more of :(

The game doesn't even have a training mode.

Been reading that the single player stuff is pretty boring. Not sure how ArcSys managed to screw up a fighting game (I enjoyed some of their previous DBZ titles, too), but I played the demo on my Japanese 3DS and it got old fast. The game is too simplistic, lacks content, and no online play sealed the deal to make this a pass.

I bought the game and I had a lot of fun with it even after getting my fix of the demo.

It does suck that there's no training mode but playing the game and just experimenting substitutes for that type of lab time just fine.

Mysterious Adventure is cool single player content. If you're trying to unlock all the Z-Assists then you'll be spending time S-Ranking all the missions and the story is pure DBZ fanservice.

The game's far from simplistic. The game shines best when you put the pieces together. All the combo possibilities and Z-Assists really afford those who want a canvas to make some violent art to do just that. I had so much fun in the lab figuring out what does what and how it all works together.

I know how folks feel on the no online thing and it does mean without it there's less chance for the metagame to really get a chance to build around combinations of characters & Z-Assists which is where the fun is. Game still has local play so if you can convince a buddy or 2 to get it then you can get some comp.

The only fault I can actually levy against it is the roster isn't as diverse as a game like this could be and here's hoping a sequel sees to that.

As far as I'm concerned this is the best Butoden game that isn't Hyper Dimension or Ultimate.

Aru

This and the exclusion of online are making me hesitant to purchase this.

Didn't the Butouden 2 version in Jump collection 3DS had the music intact?
How does the new music compare to the Yamamoto soundtrack (which was godlike)?

So many questions...

There are videos of the 3DS version of Butouden 2 on Youtube. I just watched this one, the new soundtrack is terrible!

Top Bottom