• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: F1 2015 Preliminary Performance Analysis

stryke

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-f1-2015-performance-analysis

F1 2015 is an enticing prospect for fans of Codemasters' racing series. Built using a reworked version of its existing Ego engine, this year's instalment is the first driving game from the studio that targets 60fps since the Colin McRae Rally titles on PS2 and the original Xbox. PS3 and Xbox One saw a prevalence of 30fps caps, but with the new wave of consoles there's a sense that things are starting to change - that there's more of a focus on 60fps gameplay in genres that particularly stand to benefit from smoother, more responsive action.

Native 1080p resolution is also present on the PS4, though the Xbox One game gets a 31 per cent cut in pixel density down to 900p. However, the difference has less of an impact than the numbers suggest: the overall presentation appears a little softer on the Microsoft platform, with a touch more sub-pixel break-up and a slight reduction in resolved texture detail, but otherwise, image quality is broadly comparable to the PS4 game. Codemasters' use of post-processing effects and anti-aliasing results in a softened look to the game across all formats, and this works in favour of the Xbox One release by avoiding the sharp lines that highlight upscaled jaggies.

Kicking off with a run through in the first part of Monaco, we find frame-rates hovering between 50-60fps on the PS4, with performance hitting lows of around 45fps during crashes or spin-outs when other cars are around. The combination of twisting turns and detailed scenery highlights the judder caused by this inconsistency, and as we dart through the narrow city streets the experience feels uneven as a result.

In comparison, the Xbox One version has a much tougher time in reaching the ideal 60fps goal despite the resolution drop, and frequently we find the game operating 10fps slower than the PS4 version in comparable scenes. Performance sticks closely in the 45-50fps area throughout a general run of play, with constant screen-tearing part of the package.

As a title targeting 60fps, F1 2015 is on shaky ground. Performance is by no means close to being stable, but the PS4 version comes closest to hitting the target, delivering gameplay that feels a step up in terms of precision and responsiveness, especially when compared directly to the last-gen 30fps titles. The situation is more compromised on Xbox One, with judder more frequently interrupting the experience than we'd like.

Framerate test

Other things I noted:
- I don't think 900p is entirely correct. From my counting ~1344x1080 is more accurate. If someone else can pixel count that would be great.
- grass seems to be randomly generated
- PS4 seems to have more shadowing/AO?
- Background geometry of the buildings is off in Monaco on PS4, for some reason a couple of buildings have been lowered, which is further accentuated by the people on the roof floating in mid air.

1436610912-f11.gif

stryke

Since I watch F1 I feel like maybe I should know this but why is there two different car models for Mercedes? Is one of them the B-spec?

1436611218-f12.gif

Javin98

Banned
What you said may be true, OP. I'm no pixel counting expert, but the XB1 version didn't seem like 900p to me. 900p is usually blurrier than this. Either way, this is yet another game that has both resolution and frame rate advantage on PS4. Also, those floating buildings look weird. Looks more like a glitch than anything.

brobban

Shame, was planning on buying for PS4 if the framerate was solid.
Will wait and see if the performance increases after a patch or two

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
LOL

Native 1080p resolution is also present on the PS4, though the Xbox One game gets a 31 per cent cut in pixel density down to 900p. However, the difference has less of an impact than the numbers suggest: the overall presentation appears a little softer on the Microsoft platform, with a touch more sub-pixel break-up and a slight reduction in resolved texture detail, but otherwise, image quality is broadly comparable to the PS4 game. Codemasters' use of post-processing effects and anti-aliasing results in a softened look to the game across all formats, and this works in favour of the Xbox One release by avoiding the sharp lines that highlight upscaled jaggies.

allan-bh

IQ seems similar on PS4 and Xbox One. Too bad the frame rate fluctuates too much even in PS4.

But the worst news for me is a near constant tearing.

Green Yoshi

In comparison, the Xbox One version has a much tougher time in reaching the ideal 60fps goal despite the resolution drop, and frequently we find the game operating 10fps slower than the PS4 version in comparable scenes. Performance sticks closely in the 45-50fps area throughout a general run of play, with constant screen-tearing part of the package.

This sounds bad. :-(

Seanspeed

Banned
XB1version has constant tearing, what about on PS4?
Apparently still has tearing, but its minor(according to those in the OT thread who posted an example of it).

Also, XB1 version does seem to lack AO, though outside of the Armco in the Monaco pic, I had to really dig to find another example where it was noticeable:

Honestly, I think the IQ in this game looks like ass in screenshots. The CA is awful and has no place in this sort of game.

Don't know what's so funny there. Softening an image doesn't get rid of jaggies/aliasing, but it can reduce the noticeability of them.

Agreed.

I would say it's a rare case, but sometimes a lower resolution with more AA looks better than a higher resolution without it.

But looking at the performance of both consoles, it would make more sense just to get the PC version.

Kayant

XB1 version has constant tearing, what about on PS4?
If you watch the framerate test you can see tearing on both.
You've got to wonder if PS4 dropped to 900p would it deliver a locked 60?
Would depend if they are GPU bottlenecked.
Agreed.
I would say it's a rare case, but sometimes a lower resolution with more AA looks better than a higher resolution without it.

But looking at the performance of both consoles, it would make more sense just to get the PC version.

I think that depends also on what AA is being used. It's kinda like with DSR where the image can be blurry even though it's being downsampled from a higher resolution.

Shin-Ra

OMG a racing game with good AF!

High levels of anisotropic filtering (possibly even full-on 16x) ensure texture mip-map layers blend seamlessly into each other, with details remaining clear as the road surface and surrounding grass and gravel extend out into the distance.

Certinty

Performance doesn't seem that bad that I'll give the game a complete miss, but definitely getting it on PS4 now.

Shin-Ra

I wonder if the Xbone SDK defaults to sharpening upscaled games with the option to turn it off.

It's even more noticeable on the right-angle frame edge to the right of the UBS board.

Seanspeed

Banned
I have to agree with this. Even some of their face off articles seem to have inadequate info about the games' visuals.
They've never been 100% perfect and accurate or caught absolutely everything every time. People are just paying more attention now especially after the heavy duty DF bashing that went on for a little while there.

Shin-Ra

The water spray low-res transparency's a pretty big eyesore in the rain but it's fairly convincingly dense.

Javin98

Banned
They've never been 100% perfect and accurate or caught absolutely everything every time. People are just paying more attention now especially after the heavy duty DF bashing that went on for a little while there.
I never said or expected them or any other tech site to be perfect in the first place. But I do expect them to be more thorough in their analysis. I mean, they can save the other stuff for the full face off, but an effect that has a noticeable impact such as AO was not even mentioned or hinted at. Imagine if NXGamer missed out something like that.

1436610912-f11.gif

Reminds me of the building which was moved in the final version of resident evil 2 compared to it's demo where you could see it's windows correctly.

Anarion07

Oh man that really goes to show valuable AO really is.
But having it missing completely on XO seems like some kind of bug to me?

Seanspeed

Banned
I never said or expected them or any other tech site to be perfect in the first place. But I do expect them to be more thorough in their analysis. I mean, they can save the other stuff for the full face off, but an effect that has a noticeable impact such as AO was not even mentioned or hinted at. Imagine if NXGamer missed out something like that.
This isn't the full analysis, once again. Which you even mention. C'mon now.

I also wouldn't say this has a significant impact in this game from what I've seen and will be even less noticeable at F1 speeds...

And if NXGamer missed it, nobody would care because he seems to be able to get away with all sorts of things and the same people I regularly see criticize DF usually show nothing but praise for NXGamer.

Javin98

Banned

I also wouldn't say this has a significant impact in this game from what I've seen and will be even less noticeable at F1 speeds...

And if NXGamer missed it, nobody would care because he seems to be able to get away with all sorts of things and the same people I regularly see criticize DF usually show nothing but praise for NXGamer.
And like I said earlier, DF mentioned AF in this article, but didn't mention the lack of AO on the XB1 version. Shouldn't something this noticeable be pointed out in this article as well? Whether it is significant to you or not is irrelevant. The point is AO is missing in the XB1 version whether by accident or intentionally. Also, I find it ironic that most people find HBAO+ to look significantly better than SSAO but you said that the lack of AO is insignificant here. And regarding NXGamer, I can already list several posters who will jump on him even if it was a small mistake.

Angel_DvA

Both console are missing power but one more than the other, i think we can stop with the Xbox One has better framerate when Sony has the better resolution when those things were true on "3" games that have a partner deal with MS.

the PS4 version building issue is probably a glitch, it will be patch pretty soon but the lack of AO from the X0 is a bigger problem, we have to wait for the full analysis but it's a clear victory for the PS4 here.

Three

Preliminary performance analysis which talks about resolution and AF. Come on now, they missed it. No need to start making excuses.

Oh, NXGamer has made plenty mistakes in the past. Doesn't stop people on here from trying to push him as the new go-to unbiased tech analyst.

Top Bottom