• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn new previews and gameplay

Loudninja

Edit: Spoilers!

Polygon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrWC029GVYU&feature=youtu.be

Gametrailers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aEy9-UG-io&feature=youtu.be

Venture beat
http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/13/will-you-make-the-right-choices-to-survive-until-dawn/

Destuctoid
Gameplay mostly consists of walking around, picking up and manipulating items (like Resident Evil), and making choices that can either modify short-term conversations and actions, or long-term decisions that will drastically change the narrative, and perhaps even kill off major characters. Although I haven't gotten the full taste of this mechanic in just four episodes, it already feels far more impactful than any recent Telltale game. Telltale is great at telling its story, but that's just it -- it's its story for the most part. Until Dawn gives me hope that multiple playthroughs will be worth it.

It's all very linear though, which I'm sure will scare some people away. There's very little in the way of exploration, to the point where at most, there's only one stray path (and it's usually obvious) to take beyond the other road that continues the story. QTEs, Until Dawn has 'em, and they're here in spades. Personally I still don't mind them, even if they're a cheap device when overused, so your mileage may vary here. As for myself, I found them to be entertaining and helped fuel the endearing cheese-factor of the package. And I mean that with sincerity -- this doesn't feel like a cash-in, but a proper love letter to horror in general, complete with a great atmosphere and creepy, ingenious camera angles.
Cheesy it may be, but I actually wanted to find out more about the game's world, and that's where Until Dawn excels -- lore building. You can find totems that show tiny visions of the future (good or bad, but mostly bad), which eventually complete a little meta-narrative on the history of the surrounding area, and a possible curse that dates back hundreds of years. I also wanted to find out exactly who the assailants were and what their motivations are -- and I won't even spoil the insanely interesting meta-narrative with the always talented Peter Stormare.
http://www.destructoid.com/until-dawn-still-hasn-t-wowed-me-but-i-m-intrigued-295431.phtml

FelipeMGM

I'm hyped for august, both Until Dawn and Rapture are a couple of games I am really excited to play on my PS4. Rocket League shall hold me till then.

Also, all this coverage for this game today, sounds like a marketing move by Sony. Not that is a bad thing at all

WhiteWolf

This looks like a nice throwback to Phantasmagoria (but hopefully way better.) I hope it has some occult trappings similar to Evil Dead or Cabin in the Woods. I am down to try any horror game that isn't another Amnesia clone.

I'm on blackout when it comes to this game already.

Do we have a release date/window?

This looks like a nice throwback to Phantasmagoria (but hopefully way better.) I hope it has some occult trappings similar to Evil Dead or Cabin in the Woods. I am down to try any horror game that isn't another Amnesia clone.

Phantasmagoria was so awesome. I can't believe my dad let me play that when I was like 12 years old. Insane.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I'm worried the game may be a bit overpriced for what it is, but I'm certainly interested. I kind of want to wait for reviews, but I also don't trust reviews for this type of game. The trailers all look right up my alley, though.

IDK, script quality is a real concern of mine. Looks TOO cheesy, tbh.

It supposed to be cheesy. It's a b-horror movie game. It still looks scary though. I can imagine it being tense playing on your own. Especially if you want to keep certain characters(or every one) alive.

Qwark

Damn, I didn't think I was going to buy any more Day 1 games this year (except Rock Band)... but this one has me tempted.

eFKac

Gametrailers video seemed rather lukewarm.

I'm definitely gonna get it though, love branching stories, even if the setting is not up my alley.

Graphics are pretty mindblowing from those new snippets 0_o framerate doesn't seem perfect though unfortunately, maybe they'll be able to iron it out for release.

antitrop

I think they are smart on the cheesy focus, no one can complaint about bad writing now.

I would say it takes a great deal of writing skill to make this fun and entertaining and not mind-numbingly dull. There's still good cheesy and bad cheesy. We'll see.

It's far too self-aware to enter "So bad, it's good" territory, so it will just have to be good.

Reedirect

Looks great and suitably campy, but releasing it just a week before Metal Gear isn't exactly ideal. Still, I'll be there Day 1.

Looks like a lot of fun, can't wait. This one is pretty review-proof to me. As long as the game functions, and isn't completely broken, I can't imagine what reviews would tell me to make me not want to play it.

Looks like a lot of fun, can't wait. This one is pretty review-proof to me. As long as the game functions, and isn't completely broken, I can't imagine what reviews would tell me to make me not want to play it.

ohh believe me, there will be idiots out there who will think that this game is trying to be too serious storyline wise.

they'll miss the point

i expect some 5 - 6 scores

Top Bottom