• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Balloon Fighter for Smash Bros. in memory of Mr. Iwata

fabricated backlash said:
thank-you7irt3.png

Hey guys, I thought for a whole day before making this topic and am still not sure if it's the right thing to do as it's a very specific matter but quite a few users stated that it's a great idea so here it is!

Collectively if we all vote for Balloon Fighter in the Smash Ballot then maybe we can get him into Smash Bros! He is the main character from a game that means a lot to Iwata and will be a great tribute. Imagine an official trailer for him with Iwata 's face in the clouds ;_;

https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/
https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/en-uk/

I am happy to add to the OP Balloon Fight tribute pics posted here.

Also will add any screen caps of ballot polls here!

My Miiverse post:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKFITyCNIg

Storm Kyleis said:

Azure J said:

Memory

+1 I can get behind this, I know a lot of us have already voted for this over the last couple days in the RIP thread.

If anyone is having trouble thinking about moveset ideas or thinks that Villager has an up B that is inspired by Balloon Fighter and therefore it's enough, here's a post or two I've made on the internet discussing this.

Is it really that hard to be a little creative and to think outside the box? So what if Villager has a move that is a nod to Balloon Fighter. In a game where we have Marth, Lucina and Roy, is this really a valid point? Villager also uses boxing gloves like Little Mac (not the same thing but I'm just making a point). He uses a bowling ball, something the Mii could have used from Wii Sports. Oh but instead we got Mii Swordsman, Gunner and Brawler. Wait, who in the world are they?

A moveset was made for Captain Falcon, a man who only rides in a machine. Wii Fit Trainer, Mr. Game and Watch, Duck Hunt, all of these are characters that have creative movesets that some of us, including me, couldn't conjure up in a million years.

How can you look at Shulks Monado, Little Macs KO Punch, Lucarios Aura, Robins spells etc and say that Balloon Fighter can't have a completely unique idea behind it?

Just the fact that he has balloons that are always out and can be popped is unique in a roster of 50 strong characters.

And come on, a balloon fighter in smash having a taunt doing Iwatas signature "direct" pose? Yes please :)

His final smash can also be the deadly fish. He can summon water onto the stage and the fish can be swimming, coming up for insta kills if someone gets near.

As for movesets as you said there is so much potential. Not only is there potential to make him completely unique in how his balloons will work (will they pop with one hit? Will they have their own HP? Will they deflate as they are hit? Will they only pop if they are hit with an attack of a certain strength?) but also how the player will interact with the balloons (will they spawn back after a certain time? Do they not spawn back at all? Do you button mash to spawn them back? Can you inflate and deflate at will?) Also he can be alive with just one balloon and play like that. Maybe he will be easier to kill and can't jump as high but his moves might have a different feel with just one balloon.

And yeah he can be the complete opposite of little mac. Can't do anything on the ground except walk around slowly and do some basic attacks, but in the air maybe he can use smash attacks or even grab!

As for moves there's the flipper, the lightning bolts, the enemies, the clouds, the different coloured balloons, the bubbles... Maybe you can trap enemies in bubbles (in the original game they gave you points or made the game stop for a while), paralyse the enemy with the lightning, knock them away with the flipper. Maybe he can chuck balloons and even attach balloons to the opponent. And yes he can always have a generic move or two. Why not? Honestly, there's a reason I'm not sakurai. I'm not a game developer and I'm not claiming to be, but I will say that saying Balloon Fighter can't be in because of villager is an insult to the creativity of Sakurai and Smash Bros.!

Go wild, have fun and come up with your own ideas or just vote for him and leave it up to the geniuses over at Nintendo!

Het_Nkik

Vote casted.

I think this is very possible. Him and Sakurai were professionally close from what I've heard.

Sakurai was the sole designer and Iwata was the sole programmer for the fighting game prototype that would eventually become Super Smash Bros.

Berordn

His up B should last longer than Villager's.

You could take it further than that.

Balloon Fighter has a perpetual Balloon Trip, and his Up B is devoted to refilling the balloons, a task that takes longer each time the move is used (similar to Deep Breathing). With no balloons out, the fighter is weaker and easier to KO. Just make the character exceptionally light and go from there.

RK128

I voted the other day for Balloon Fighter and I think he would be a great inclusion for Smash Bros :).

His moveset is very interesting, as I could picture him having a creative moveset.
-Up-B could be a copy of the Viligers Up-B but be more effective
-Side-B could be dashing forward using the air from his balloons
-Nutrual-B could be charging up a balloon until it pops (similar to a move Clown Kirby has in Triple Deluxe)
-Down-B could be throwing a item to the ground (or when on the ground, planting the item)
-A-Attacks could be a number of melee hits themed around Balloon Trip and Balloon Fighter
-His Air-A attacks would be where they are the most effective; hits harder in the air but lighter on the ground
-He would be a light fighter (like Kirby or Jigglypuff) but in the air he gets mild super-armor when attacking
-Final Smash could either summoning the fish to eat other players or to turn everyone into Balloons and him dashing into players K.O.'s them (similar to Ridiens Level-3 super form PSAS)

HUELEN10

Considering Iwata didn't do Balloon Kid, I think you're missing the point.

I'm not. He would be redundant as a character, Alice would be a better pick anyways, and what makes sense is to bring Balloon Fight stage to Wii U.

Now personally, you know how the Paper Mario stage showcases many games? Imagine an Iwata stage, where it would showcase scenes from the major things he contributed too. That is what I would root for if we had the choice.

Son Of D

I'd rather just playable Iwata more than anything.

It'd be kind of tasteless. First, you could beat up Iwata if that happened. Second, adding a real life person would be awkward, regardless of who it was. Third, I doubt Sakurai would want to do that to a person he was close to. Fourth, selling DLC based on a recently deceased person would be in bad taste.

Personally, if they want to honour Iwata in Smash, a trophy of him (using the Mii as the model) would feel better.

Wanderer5

Eh as long as he comes in for free rather than paid DLC, doesn't feel tacked on, and be a one additional more character then they might attend to make, then it might be a nice idea.:p Personally I think they should find other ways to do tributes for him.

El Odio

Banned
Voted yesterday but I posted about this to some of my gamer friends on facebook and most of them seemed to get behind it.

Mesoian

This is a terrible idea. Villager already has a move set that perfectly embodies balloon fight, and smash already has a problem of characters resembling each other too closely.

A balloon fight skin for villager is a much better tribute that doesn't retread old ground.

I'm not. He would be redundant as a character, Alice would be a better pick anyways, and what makes sense is to bring Balloon Fight stage to Wii U.

Now personally, you know how the Paper Mario stage showcases many games? Imagine an Iwata stage, where it would showcase scenes from the major things he contributed too. That is what I would root for if we had the choice.
That sounds really tacky and tastless lol.

"Feast your eyes on the Iwata Amusement Park!"

Haines

Banned
I just want iwata immortalized in some way via video game post mortem,

What about a balloon fight 2 with him as the dude?

Brawl96

It'd be kind of tasteless. First, you could beat up Iwata if that happened. Second, adding a real life person would be awkward, regardless of who it was. Third, I doubt Sakurai would want to do that to a person he was close to. Fourth, selling DLC based on a recently deceased person would be in bad taste.

Personally, if they want to honour Iwata in Smash, a trophy of him (using the Mii as the model) would feel better.

I second that Trophy idea!

Nakasan

I think it's a good idea. Voted for Balloon Fighter, and like poster above me gave #ThankYouIwata as my comment.

Good idea, good thread.

Top Bottom