• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTS "Grand Ages: Medieval" is coming to PS4 in September

Nerix

"Grand Ages: Medieval will be launching on PS4 September 29th"
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/07/15/grand-ages-medieval-coming-to-ps4-on-september-29th/

Haven´t heard about the game before. What do you think/expect?

RTS with a gamepad... I don´t know. But will definitely keep an eye on it. On PS3 I once played the demo of RUSE, but wasn´t really convinced. Perhaps they will introduce a similar concept (voice control)?

edit - some early PC gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2H4WaYHhB8

19073414003_40017dcbd4_h.jpg

eFKac

Any game that expands and gives some choices for this genre on consoles is cool in my book, even if I'm personally not interested.

Sou Da

My friend loves RTS but refuses to get a PC so I guess he might be interested in this.

He was pretty big on Endwar.

RTS with a gamepad... I don´t know. But if you look at examples like Civ Revolution you can see, that it´s possible to have a good time with a RTS on consoles - even if it´s a total different experience and much slower than on a PC.

Civ Rev wasn't an RTS though. RTS is real time. Civ Rev was turn based, which is fine on console because it doesn't require speed like RTS games often demand.

prudislav

Strange choice I can understand TBS but RTS? , hopefully it will not cripple PC version and M+K UI
BTW:Since when is Civ Revolution RTS?

Corpekata

Banned
Series is traditionally somewhat combat heavy so surprised this is making the leap. Usually the ones that do tend to be a bit more relaxed (and usually turn based).

Heartfyre

The game's not out on PC yet either, so none can speak to the quality of it. I have played Grand Ages: Rome, though, and although I didn't spend a lot of time with it, I found it enjoyable. Might give it another try on the back of this news.

I wonder if the touchpad will be a gamechanger for RTS on console. I always expected it would be, but besides Tropico 5 (which isn't a great comparison to begin with), nothing resembling a strategy game has really been attempted.

funkypie

Banned
will it chug hard when more units are on the screen? RTS on console are notorious for that, especially with weak cpus.

Corpekata

Banned
I wonder if the touchpad will be a gamechanger for RTS on console. I always expected it would be, but besides Tropico 5 (which isn't a great comparison to begin with), nothing resembling a strategy game has really been attempted.

It won't. Touchpad is just not good for accurate fast movements. There's a reason that even a slow game like Tropico just uses the traditional gamepad controls.

Nerix

It won't. Touchpad is just not good for accurate fast movements. There's a reason that even a slow game like Tropico just uses the traditional gamepad controls.
That´s right. E.g. when trying to control the map in AC IV... It´s a nice gimmick but it´s more accurate and faster when using the sticks.

Some early gameplay of the PC version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2H4WaYHhB8

Anyone who played RUSE on consoles? That´s the last console RTS that comes to my mind. But it was something special, as they relied heavily on voice control.

The 'Grand Ages' series are city builders not RTS games.
At least the developer itself states, that it´s an RTS
http://www.grandages.com/en/gam/game-info/

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm probably in the minority, but I loved Halo Wars and Red Alert 3 on consoles, so I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

First Tropico and now this. Loving Kalypso's output on PS4.

Put me in with the camp of people that had fun with Red Alert 3 on consoles despite control issues.

Likely buying this.

At least the developer itself states, that it´s an RTS
http://www.grandages.com/en/gam/game-info/

The Grand Ages series have always had light RTS elements, but they've mainly been city builders so far. From watching the early gameplay, it doesn't look like much has the changed.

The terrible RTS combat appears pretty much unchanged from previous entries, which is a shame. The new strategic gameplay looks rather fun though, very Civ-like.

Patrick S.

Banned
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 worked fine on the PS3 after a bit of getting used to it. A revival of the RTS genre is needed, if it has to be on consoles, I'm ok with it too.

JSR_Cube

First Tropico and now this. Loving Kalypso's output on PS4.

Put me in with the camp of people that had fun with Red Alert 3 on consoles despite control issues.

Likely buying this.

Ya, with the lack of strategy games from bigger publishers on the consoles, it is good to see Kalypso bringing us something. This seems to be mouse heavy though. Will still support though with a purchase.

Strange choice I can understand TBS but RTS? , hopefully it will not cripple PC version and M+K UI
BTW:Since when is Civ Revolution RTS?

Maybe they have KB/M support for this game.

I don't see why they wouldn't have a KB/M support on PS4 for a RTS these days. There are USB plugs easy to use.

They should definitely do that, along with the controller input.

Q: is there KB/M support for PS4?
drgast: Sorry, no KB/M support since this is not natively supported by the PS4 firmware yet.
Q: In fact we did consider this option, but it would have had to program our own drivers for it basically.
Londonstani: thank you for the answer :)
Q: But if you're familiar with Tropico on console, the controls for GAM are quite similar and work very well.
Unerde: Want more and newest details about Grand Ages: Medieval? Feel free to join our Community:
Q: thanks!

Got the answer :)

They replied hella fast!

Keeping an eye on this for PC then.
drgast: PS4 in Europe: 9th of October
drgast: PS4 in Noth America: October 13th

Kinthalis

Banned
Maybe they have KB/M support for this game.

I don't see why they wouldn't have a KB/M support on PS4 for a RTS these days. There are USB plugs easy to use.

They should definitely do that, along with the controller input.

Because then out of the 1000 people that woudl have bought it on consoles, 999 wouldn't.

You can require it, that's for sure. Support it, for that one guy that will do this?

Tagyhag

RTS are already hard enough on PC, so with a gamepad ? Nah.

There's a difference between RTS'es made for PC and RTS'es made with multiplat in mind. This looks like the latter so it should be fine.

For example, LOTR RTS was fine on consoles, but AOK on PS2? Terribad.

IvorB

More RTS games on PS4 is music to my ears. As long as they make good use of the trackpad it should be fine controlwise.

coastel

Keep forgetting about this game. Will have to make a note when its out and just watched the gameplay video, it looks good.

Tailzo

Its nice to see that PS4 success is bringing even RTS games to the plataform.
Oh I wish CIV V come one day...

I'd love Civ 5 for a handheld. I'm playing it on a MS surface pro 2, nice but I'd love an even more comfy handheld solution. Ps4 and then remote play to Vita?

CloudWolf

Strategy games and consoles don't really mix. Halo Wars is the only example I can think of that even remotely worked.

There's a difference between RTS'es made for PC and RTS'es made with multiplat in mind. This looks like the latter so it should be fine.

For example, LOTR RTS was fine on consoles, but AOK on PS2? Terribad.
There are Lord of the Rings real time strategy games on consoles? Enlighten me.

Top Bottom