• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 1 CPU powers #PlutoFlyBy / NewHorizon probe

Man

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-cpu-powering-probe-travelling-towards-/1100-6428896/
...the probe contains a MIPS R3000 CPU, repurposed to "fire thrusters, monitor sensors, and transmit data."

The same CPU was used in the original PlayStation console, which was first released in 1994 and ran at 33.8688MHz. It was implemented by NASA scientists in the New Horizons Space Probe, which was launched in 2006 and has travelled more than three billion miles in its journey.

According to The Verge, NASA has always preferred hardware that has been "tried-and-tested" over newer technology, which may be riskier to use. Reliability is prioritised over power, which is why a 12-year-old CPU was used, with a few tweaks made to help with surviving in space.

2905156-ps1.jpg

mipsr3000diesmall.jpg

200px-CXD8606BQ_02.JPG

2905160-9414252790-3900..jpg

fedexpeon

Banned
Wonder why they didn't just use a 486 or the original Pentium or something...

Because when you thought your PS1 was broke, you can turn it upside down and it will work.
Some of the NASA people probably grew up and knew about the durability of the PS1 with that simple trick, so they decided to use the PS1 CPU.

FZZ

Banned
Yeah a Pentium would work better imo. My Pentium 4 is still going strong from over a decade of use.

This is kinda silly

hesido

I remember reading that chips with bigger processes and lower frequencies were less prone to be affected from cosmic radiation and other hostile conditions in space. You wouldn't be overclocking that cpu in your space probe anyway.

Yeah a Pentium would work better imo. My Pentium 4 is still going strong from over a decade of use.

This is kinda silly

I'm 120% sure they are not choosing the CPU with no particular reason or choosing what they did because they are just playstation fans.

DonMigs85

I remember reading that chips with bigger processes were less prone to be affected from cosmic radiation and other hostile conditions in space. You wouldn't be overclocking that cpu in your space probe anyway.

The original Pentium from 1993 was an 800nm chip. Not sure about the R3000

Vagabundo

From a bit of googling it looks like it was a favourite for embedded systems for a long time, so it would be a favourite of EE contractors. Probably very very reliable with loads of well tested software components.

Just what you need for a probe eleventy billion miles away.

ocean

Banned
Take a look at the process that goes on when selecting components for a mission. These projects involve hundreds of millions or billions of dollars and bring together the best and the brightest from around the world to come up with the most scientifically rewarding setup that fits their power/weight budget.

With electronics in particular it's important to chose components with extreme durability, having to undergo extreme temperatures and the onslaught of heavy radiation.

It's hilarious that you can just disregard the intense research and compromises and hard work of a space agency so casually.

What exactly do you think "a Pentium" would have done better?

See Sony, I told you now was the time for a new Colony Wars on PS4, even NASA helps you out for the marketing!!!1

If the original PSX can fly to Pluto and play Colony Wars just imagine what the PS4 could achieve in Space with a new Colony Wars!

DonMigs85

From a bit of googling it looks like it was a favourite for embedded systems for a long time, so it would be a favourite of EE contractors. Probably very very reliable with loads of well tested software components.

Just what you need for a probe eleventy billion miles away.

If Japan made such a probe maybe they might have gone with Hitachi SH-series processors. The Saturn would have truly lived up to its name

-Amon-

So anything but sony, even when chosen by nasa, even on a space probe.

That's entertainig on so many levels :)

Because when you thought your PS1 was broke, you can turn it upside down and it will work.
Some of the NASA people probably grew up and knew about the durability of the PS1 with that simple trick, so they decided to use the PS1 CPU.

I doubt it was chosen specifically because of the PS1. MIPS R3000 CPUs were used in many devices, including the PS1.

FZZ

Banned
why the fuck does everyone think everything is about fanboying LMFAO

I said Pentium because it is traditionally a reliable CPU. Looking at it on paper has more power than the one NASA used

jesus christ some of you form a narrative based on one post and then focus on it

No shit I am not informed I don't work at NASA, didn't think I would need to do research and form a thesis as to why they should use a Pentium for stating an opinion.

hesido

The original Pentium from 1993 was an 800nm chip. Not sure about the R3000

Oh, it was meant to be an additional information to the OP and not to address the silly remarks on how they should have used Pentium because it was silly to use the PS1 cpu.

Carn82

I said Pentium because it is traditionally a reliable CPU. Looking at it on paper has more power than the one NASA used

jesus christ some of you form a narrative based on one post and then focus on it

No shit I am not informed I don't work at NASA, didn't think I would need to do research and form a thesis as to why they should a Pentium for stating an opinion.

I'm sure that if Intel or another company provides them with Pentium CPU's that fit NASA's criteria for a nice price that they would go for it.

The CPU in New Horizons is actually the Mongoose-V; a heavily modified R3000 processor. They cost 20.000 dollars a piece.

No shit I am not informed I don't work at NASA, didn't think I would need to do research and form a thesis as to why they should a Pentium for stating an opinion.

Pentium wasn't produce anymore in 2006 while the R3000 lived just fine as cheap and reliable chip for embedded systems.

FZZ

Banned
I'm sure that if Intel or another company provides them with Pentium CPU's that fit NASA's criteria for a nice price that they would go for it.

The CPU in New Horizons is actually the Mongoose-V; a heavily modified R3000 processor. They cost 20.000 dollars a piece.

Pentium wasn't produce anymore in 2006 while the R3000 lived just fine as cheap and reliable chip for embedded systems.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you guys.

stryke

*At NASA*

"Umm sir, New Horizon is playing up, she's not sending any pictures"

"Try turning it upside down"

"Sir?"

"Worked for my PlayStation..."

sub_o

There's no up nor down in space (or maybe there is).... which means that PS1 will perpetually work, and cats will keep on turning!

Bollocks

Just like how New Horizon left Earth to usher in a new era of space exploration, the PlayStation 1 left the kids bedroom to usher in a new era of gaming.

Drencrom

In space, the CPU will be in the upright position and upside down at the same time, which means it will always work one way or another.

What a genius solution.

Top Bottom