• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection will have a new difficulty option

Loudninja

So awesome.
Less motion control: Did you play the first Uncharted? Did you enjoy when you had to use the motion sensor in the PS3 controller to keep hero Nathan Drake balanced as he walked across a log? If your answer is yes, you’re weird. If no, well, you might be happy to know that motion control for log-crossing has been excised from this collection, according to a rep for the game’s original development studio, Naughty Dog. They are leaving a motion control option (not mandatory) for tossing grenades.

Difficulty tweaks: The new game will not have dynamic difficulty, which they’re saying will be coupled with some balancing tweaks to make the game flow better. I asked specifically about whether enemies in the first Uncharted wouldn’t be bullet sponges anymore. I got a general affirmative that damage to and from enemies is being recalculated across the games. Bluepoint is also working on a special “brutal” (not final name) difficulty level that is designed to be challenging even for the game’s most skilled testers.
http://kotaku.com/uncharted-the-nathan-drake-collection-the-basics-1718224929

Andrefpvs

I am not ready for Uncharted 1's Crushing on Steroids
tumblr_inline_njsm8hfgzQ1r83cml.png

ItIsOkBro

Difficulty in Uncharted is just a matter of how much time you spend in cover so I'm not too hyped.

Unless they tweak the puzzles and platforming too.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Ow man, just to think about the ship graveyard in U3 in a up-Crushing difficult....

This is going to be fun!

Glad to know they give us the option of playing without motion controls in the first game.
As for the new difficulty, they seem to be tinkering with damage levels so I'll guess we'll have to wait until we try it.
Crushing already had some rough moments...

Harder than crushing? Fuck me.

Crushing in 2 was a breeze.

UC3 crushing on the other hand gave me a hard time

With the exception of one notable location at the abandoned monastery, I agree. UC3 was harder because there more enemies and often less ways to approach them.

If no, well, you might be happy to know that motion control for log-crossing has been excised from this collection, according to a rep for the game’s original development studio, Naughty Dog. They are leaving a motion control option (not mandatory) for tossing grenades.
nxMBqb4.gif

Difficulty in Uncharted is just a matter of how much time you spend in cover so I'm not too hyped.

This is what I remember as well. Crushing just lowered your health and increased how long it took to recover, so it was really just a matter of how long you're willing to wait behind cover.

Not trying to bash the game though, absolutely love the franchise and for sure getting this.

Oh man. Flashbacks to playing Uncharted 1. Had a blast on Medium / Hard. Tried Crushing and just turned it off after
the plane crash bit.
Maybe I hit my difficulty limit, but I found it nearly impossible to not get hit at least once and so most of my time was spent cowering waiting for the screen to fade back to colour. Wasn't fun for me.

Ourobolus

Banned
Crushing has always been manageable to me, except for the final boss of UC2 where you basically had to cheese him to death.

Can't wait for Brutal.

Revven

If they want to do something on-par with Grounded difficulty in TLOU they could alter the enemy types you face. So, instead of normal guys in say Chapter 2, instead you would be up against armored guys. They could also add more enemies to the scenarios (not more waves, just more enemies) and even alter enemy placements as well. Uncharted can be a lot more difficult if you're not fighting non-armored goons.

Those changes + taking even more damage than you do in Crushing would be quite awesome.

This would be the opportunity to make a difficulty actually change some other things besides damage Drake takes. If they did it in TLOU (which they did) then they can apply the same logic here.

Uncharted 1 on crushing wasn't ridiculously hard, but it was rather the bullet sponge enemies and the random enemy spawning behind you so you have to shift from one side to another, making fights more dynamic.

The only truly difficult parts would be the mutants in all 3 games. The base games by themselves are truly not that difficult and are probably the best way to experience these games.

Best wishes.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Crushing was hard in 1, but doable in the others. I wonder how they'll top that here. Less checkpoints maybe?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I remember the motion control grenade tossing. Didn't seem that useful. They could just remove that entire option and no one would care. Double so when Uncharted 2/3 didn't have it.

The Water Room instantly came to my mind.

My God..

I'm wondering if they'll fix that glitch/oversight where you could cross the enemy spawn trigger point and be OUTSIDE the water-room and in cover just sniping people that came at you.

Begaria

Crushing was actually pretty easy in Uncharted 1 if you knew the "corner shooting" trick, or at least that's what I called it. I realized early on in Uncharted 1 that the camera panning when Nathan is aiming is really, REALLY wide. This allows you to stay behind cover, without actually using the cover system, and just aim around obstacles, giving the aiming full view of enemies while not being in their line of site, so they can't shoot back but you can shoot them. It's rather broken, and allowed the majority of shoot outs in Uncharted 1 to be a breeze, especially the final showdown on the boat. It'll be interesting to see if they tweaked that in the collection.

Blobbers

Beat Uncharted 2 and 3 on Crushing. Wonderful experiences.
Barely beat Uncharted 1 on Normal because some of the sections where you
fight both the humans and mega rats were fucking ALMSOT IMPOSSIBLE

But I say bring it.

hawk2025

No way, it's the opposite.

In Crushing, enemies flank you and do everything to get you out of cover as much as possible.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
In Crushing, enemies flank you and do everything to get you out of cover as much as possible.

To be fair though: You CAN camp some areas in Crushing without them being able to flank. The only trouble spots from what I remember were:

The infamous water room (which you can "glitch"), and the Sully-Drake Temple area before getting to Elena in.. 15-17? Right before they head to the Sub.

Uncharted 1's crushing wasn't that tough. It was only frustrating due to the high damage the enemies gave you on being shot. If you knew you had to headshot folks you already blew Crushings "difficulty" away. Head shot head shot head shot head shot head shot... while avoiding damage yourself.

The Water Room instantly came to my mind.

My God..

Really? That one wasn't so bad. Chapter 11 - Trapped, where you're in that big dome and you're ambushed... Now that part I will always remember due to the way the enemies spawn and how bullet spongy they were.

Uncharted 1's encounters were very dynamic though, unlike Uncharted 2 and 3. Far more memorable encounter pieces. It often forced you to change your strategies halfway through the fights.

Best wishes.

Hoje0308

Banned
Crushing was only tough in U1, so I'm looking forward to this. Headshots should be much easier to pull off with the DS4 too.

DieH@rd

Banned
As long as the new combat balance is good enough [especially for U1]. I'm happy that they will take a much closer look at U1 combat.

Pejo

I'd love to play Uncharted with a Goldeneye golden gun; one shot one kill.

This so much. I always wondered why more shooters didn't include this type of mode for people. I am hugely not a "play it hard!" type player, but when they even the odds by making enemies 1 shot/1 kill too, it can be immensely enjoyable.

My biggest complaint with the Uncharted games is the bullet spongey-ness.

Top Bottom