• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo America takes over Cake Wars on Food Network - July 20 @ 8/7c

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
So, this is bizarre and unexpected.

TUNE IN to @FoodNetwork on Mon., July 20 at 8/7c to see @NintendoAmerica take over #CakeWars!

CKEDou4UAAAEsQU.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/Super_D3/status/621782222316699648

They also made a deal with Splatoon and a frozen yogurt chain in Canada. Their marketing team is comprised of people who use Pinterest instead of Twitter.

Lunar15

That's so random. Curious to see what happens.

I guess their ploy worked in terms of getting me to watch a show I haven't watched. Curse you, easily exploitable nerd tendencies!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Contestants will have to reenact the cake baking mini-game from Paper Mario.

.............& everyone will fail 5 times because they didn't bake it for exactly 30 seconds.

I have a weird addiction to watching Food Network, and so this sounds perfect.

I want to see a Nintendo-themed episode of Chopped, now. :D

.............& everyone will fail 5 times because they didn't bake it for exactly 30 seconds.

I've played that game many times and I have never failed that part. I always assumed it was super generous.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Quirky Nintendo, doing different things even on a promotion level?
...this is exactly what I hope to continue to see in the post-Iwata's future.

Alongside improvements on TV ads, though.

Reading Console Wars has given me a new perspective on this sort of thing.

It doesn't surprise me that the ad people of Nintendo think this is a great idea.

I watch a lot of Food Network. I love Food Network and competitive cooking. Just an FYI that this show is insufferable and you should not even try to watch it.

Bass260

My sister and I back in the day would always dread this part :3

Jetku

Not surprising if you watch food network! The Nintendo cakes have been in this show's commercials for weeks.

EulaCapra

I'll be legit surprised if any bakers reference anything outside of Mario, Zelda, and arcade Donkey Kong.

And it seems too much to hope that the last challenge will be a Metroid Anniversary cake.

Reading Console Wars has given me a new perspective on this sort of thing.

It doesn't surprise me that the ad people of Nintendo think this is a great idea.

"let's get people who watch the food network into playing nintendo"

when in reality it's only going to be getting people who already play nintendo watching the food network

Chindogg

I don't know how well this'll work with younger people, but in college my friends and I watched a ton of Food Network. I imagine that trend has continued over the years among my generation so who knows.

They also made a deal with Splatoon and a frozen yogurt chain in Canada. Their marketing team is comprised of people who use Pinterest instead of Twitter.

To be fair, last time I saw nintendo UK try a serious twitter competition, it was a hilarious failure. They gave away 5 Nintendo 3DS xls with copies of Layton & the miracle mask as prizes to people who tweeted a picture of themselves in a layton hat with a certain hashtag, and got the most retweets.

There were a total of 7 entries. And one of them didn't even read the rules and ended up ineligible for the prizes. My family got 3 of the prizes. And while I won't ever turn down a set of free 3ds xls for me and my sisters (we all entered), it obviously failed as a marketing campaign.
So I'm not really surprised they're looking at other avenues for advertisment.

I remember spotting the Mario cake in a promo asking with an Aquaman cake and didn't think they'd go all out Nintendo in an episode. Neat.

Dee Dee

Haha, interesting! I think I vaguely read about the Paper Mario baking thing before. I just recently played the game for the first time on Wii U VC. When I got to the part with the "keep it in the oven for 30s" I remembered reading that this part was tricky, and looked over to my boyfriend, panicking. He was like "I got this", and gave me the indication when 30s where over. Cake was perfect on the first try!

Also, someone needs to do a "barrel roll" cake, or tables will be flipped.

udivision

To be fair, last time I saw nintendo UK try a serious twitter competition, it was a hilarious failure. They gave away 5 Nintendo 3DS xls with copies of Layton & the miracle mask as prizes to people who tweeted a picture of themselves in a layton hat with a certain hashtag, and got the most retweets.

There were a total of 7 entries. And one of them didn't even read the rules and ended up ineligible for the prizes. My family got 3 of the prizes. And while I won't ever turn down a set of free 3ds xls for me and my sisters (we all entered), it obviously failed as a marketing campaign.
So I'm not really surprised they're looking at other avenues for advertisment.

holy medaroli
How did they mess up so bad?

Top Bottom