• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U hack - Multiple N64 games played via VC Wii U

Anth0ny

vZWLIA5.gif

Nanashrew

Banned
That's how is the N64 VC on Wii U sadly.

That's far too dark for their VC so I don't think it's that. Lots of people on Youtube have been adding dark filters when uploading full episodes of TV shows and cartoons to avoid copyright strikes these days. The menu is even dark when it should be vibrant.

deleted

Woah!

This is some kind of RAM trick, right? You can't start the game you inserted from the Wii U menu?!
Seems kinda stable for unoptimized games. Hopefully games like Banjo and Bomberman 64 will run fine. Are the games upscaled to 480p? Lag on the Wii U Pro Controller?

TunaLover

Never played any N64 games on Wii U after the initial reports. Where's the 'hacking' exactly?
Those games are not available for purchase.

Woah!

This is some kind of RAM trick, right? You can't start the game you inserted from the Wii U menu?!
Seems kinda stable for unoptimized games. Hopefully games like Banjo and Bomberman 64 will run fine. Are the games upscaled to 480p? Lag on the Wii U Pro Controller?
It's similar to Wii injecting roms in official releases.

In simple words, they took the "emulator" inside Zelda OoT, and inject a different rom.

Has you can see in the video they are using Zelda OoT as base, different bases support different games, there's not 100% compatibility (far from it), at least we could see alot of 1st party games.

And yeah, all is restricted to original releases, don't expect improvements. According the guys who made this, the method still buggy.

cyba89 said:
So he just shows direct feed gameplay and that VC menu.
Isn't that like super easy to fake?
It's from a guy who has made previous ram tricks in Nintendoland, Mario Kart 8, and I believe SM3DW. Now if they were playing GoldenEye, or whatever non first party game, that would scream fake :p

Rich!

What is cool about this is that it uses DK64 as a base for ROM injection.

Good chance GoldenEye would work. Ha

sörine

Banned
Injection's less exciting when we still have that awful forced filtering. When I can play VC unfiltered like on Wii (or at least filtered properly) I might look into homebrew.

deleted

Those games are not available for purchase.

It's similar to Wii injecting roms in official releases.

In simple words, they took the "emulator" inside Zelda OoT, and inject a different rom.

Has you can see in the video they are using Zelda OoT as base, different bases support different games, there's not 100% compatibility (far from it), at least we could see alot of 1st party games.

And yeah, all is restricted to original releases, don't expect improvements. According the guys who made this, the method still buggy.

It's from a guy who has made previous ram tricks in Nintendoland, Mario Kart 8, and I believe SM3DW. Now if they were playing GoldenEye, or whatever non first party game, that would scream fake :p

Ah, I see. What's the difference between Nintendo N64 games and 2nd/3rd party ones? A rom is a rom, right? Aside from glitches here and there and performance issues, depending on the rom? Not my field of expertise, so no idea, if I have the basics right...

And I may remember this wrong, but didn't the Wii method allow people to have a non official rom fixed on the home screen? That is not possible yet with this method, right?

foltzie1

gbatemp

But don't get too excited, nothing decent is out yet. Only a matter of time though, original release for the full exploit was planned for E3 time, but delayed due to the race attack being too unreliable

I too find the Rocket League controls to be tricky.

. . . I'll show myself out.

TI82

Banned
sörine;173395536 said:
Maybe with PS5/XB4. All the current consoles don't have the CPU brute force for it.

Was the Wii just that weak or was it because it was so similar to gamecube?

Rich!

Was the Wii just that weak or was it because it was so similar to gamecube?

The Wii WAS a GameCube. With more RAM and a higher clockspeed.

Really.

And besides, the Wii U can play all GameCube games natively. That's better than what Dolphin can offer. I can play Timesplitters 2 right now, full speed, with real controllers via the GameCube controller adapter. On my beast of a PC, I can't play it in full speed via Dolphin.

Same for Rogue Leader. Runs flawlessly on my Wii U. And looks fantastic.

FZZ

Banned
Someone who undertsands the technical intricacies of emulation explain to me why it's so damn dark

If this method actually supported the gamecube adapter. I would care. Otherwise, I'll leave my Wii U as it is so I can get that Smash DLC for tomorrow.

Top Bottom