• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 16 EASHL Beta |OT| Where No Progression Is Better Than Nothing

NHL16%20BETA%20HEADER.jpg

This is the thread to discuss the NHL 16 EASHL Beta and coordinate teaming up for both PS4 and Xbox One

WHEN DOES THE BETA START AND END?
Starting July 30 until August 10th

***BETA IS NOW AVAILABLE ON PS4 & XB1
THE DL LINK CAN BE FOUND ON THE HOME SCREEN IN NHL15***

HOW DO I GET IN?
The NHL 16 EASHL beta is available to NHL 15 owners.

For players who own NHL 15 on either Xbox One or PlayStation 4
Jump into NHL 15 starting July 30 and you’ll see a new panel in the main menu hub to download the NHL 16 EASHL Beta. NHL 15 is required to access the beta initially, but is not required after you have successfully downloaded as the beta will be accessibly directly from your console hard drive.

For players who own NHL 15 on either Xbox 360 or PS3
If you’ve upgraded to a new console, you have a chance to get access to the NHL 16 EASHL Beta. If selected, you will receive a beta access code via your EA Account email on July 30 which can then be redeemed on either an Xbox One or PlayStation 4 (access code platform determined based on your previous console preference). If you haven’t opted in to receive emails from EA SPORTS NHL, change your preferences at the following link: https://www.easports.com/nhl/contact-preferences. Sign up before July 25, 11:59 AM PT for a chance to be eligible to receive a code. Limited quantities available.

BETA GAME MODE INFO
Beta only includes EASHL, you cannot play any other game modes
You can only play EASHL by creating or joining a club, there are no Drop-In games

WHATS NEW?

#1 - NO CREATED PLAYER PROGRESSION
You no longer accrue XP to gain increased attributes for your player. Instead EA has setup "builds" you can choose from with all of the player types from the old EASHL that have set attributes that do no change. All builds apparently have the same speed, acceleration and agility states to even the playing field. You can still custom your player's appearance and gear, but no changing attributes.

Here is EA's PR fluff about this:
What we learned through research and fan feedback is that fans wanted an even playing field so that team and player skill would be the determining factor in who wins hockey games. With the new EASHL, we’re removing the progression grind, which many of you told us created an unbalanced online experience, in favor of a new player class system. You now choose to play as specialized player classes that have their own strengths and weaknesses. Player skill and your ability to play as a team will now be the determining factor in who wins and loses hockey games

#2 - GOALIE CONTROLS & ANIMATIONS HAVE BEEN OVERHAULED
Goalie controls and animations have been updated. Canned desperation save animations have apparently been tuned down or removed. There is more risk reward to and how aggressively you choose to move laterally. New post controls have been added for standing up and down low.
Watch this video for details about changes to goalies: https://youtu.be/ASIzwF2rv0I

image.img.jpg

image_0.img.jpg

#3 - SKATING & PUCK PICKUP IMPROVEMENTS
Strafing has been improved which helps walking the blue line, dancing behind the net and other situations. New animations and logic have been added to help you more seamlessly pickup loose pucks or receive passes and keep your momentum going.
Watch this video for more details about these new gameplay improvements https://youtu.be/0rqbrM82MvY

#4 - BODY CHECKING & INCIDENTAL COLLISIONS HAVE BEEN TONED DOWN
Body checking in NHL15 resulted in too many way over the top animations so more variety has been added with more glancing type hits that can happen now. NHL15 was plagued with too many instances of incidental contact where players barely touched each other resulting in demolition derby-like gameplay in the OTP mode added to NHL15. This has apparently been tuned from the last hands on session from the GameChangers.

#5 - NO CUSTOM JERSEYS IN EASHL
You can only choose team jerseys and can no longer make your own.

#6 - EASHL PLAYOFFS ARE BACK TO MONTHLY

No more weekly playoffs, they happen once a month now

EASHL PLAYER CLASSES

SNIPER
Strengths:
  • The perfect class for when you need some scoring touch inserted into your lineup.
  • Snipers have strong shooting abilities.
Weaknesses:
  • Lack physical strength and will depend on teammates to create space and scoring chances.
  • Below average defensive skill.
POWER FORWARD
Strengths:
  • Excellent balance and strong on the puck. An effective player class for those who use the cycle game.
  • A physical player that uses strength to open space for other teammates.
  • Heavy slap shot.
Weaknesses:
  • Average shot accuracy.
PLAYMAKER
Strengths:
  • Top-end passing skill. The best choice for the EASHL player who likes to set up their teammates and create scoring chances.
  • Good puck control helps this class keep possession of the puck while teammates look to get open for a scoring chance.
Weaknesses:
  1. Lacks physical strength and can get knocked off the puck by stronger opponents.
  2. Average shot accuracy.
  3. This class should always look to make the pass before shooting.
  4. Average defensive skills.
GRINDER
Strengths:
  • High rated physical skills.
  • This class works well for players who like to engage in the physical side of the game – including puck battles, shot blocking or deliver crushing hits.
  • With a strong hand-eye rating, this class will have a higher chance at deflections in front of opposing goalies.
Weaknesses:
  • Below average shooting and puck skills.
  • Needs to keep things simple on the offensive side of the puck.
ENFORCER (FORWARD)
Strengths:
  • An imposing force with top rated physical skills. Can easily knock the puck off opponents by using checking skills.
  • Top rated fighting skills that can help energize the team.
Weaknesses:
  • Poor shooting and puck skills.
  • Strong but not skilled.
TWO-WAY FORWARD
Strengths:
  • Has elements of both a playmaker and a grinder.
  • An excellent player class for those who deploy a balanced attack strategy.
  • Uses defensive skills to win puck battles and create turnovers which help the team in the transition game.
  • Good passing skills which allow this class to set up teammates.
Weaknesses:
  • Good transition game but doesn’t excel on the offensive side of the puck compared to other classes.
  • This class needs to keep their play simple on offense as they lack deking ability

TWO-WAY DEFENSEMAN
Strengths:
  • This class provides a good balance of offense and defense from the blue line.
  • They are an excellent player class for those who deploy a balanced attack strategy.
  • Good at the transition game causing turnovers and getting a solid first pass out of the defensive zone.
Weaknesses
  • Average shooting.
  • Average puck control
OFFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN
Strengths:
  • A good choice for those who want to generate offense from the back-end or are looking for a power play quarterback.
  • Great shooting accuracy from the point.
  • Great passing in all situations.
Weaknesses:
  • Lack physical skills on offense and can get knocked off the puck more easily than the average player class.
  • Lacks physical skill on defense and will have trouble stopping opponents along the boards or in front of the net.
DEFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN
Strengths:
  • The perfect choice for when you want to shut down your opponent.
  • High rated physical and checking attributes.
  • Heavy shot from the point
Weaknesses:
  • Average puck skills. This class can make simple breakout passes, but don’t expect them to act as a playmaker.
  • Low shooting accuracy.
ENFORCER (DEFENSEMAN)
Strengths:
  • An imposing force with top rated physical skills. Can easily knock the puck off opponents by using checking skills.
  • Top rated fighting skills that can help energize the team.
Weaknesses:
  • Poor shooting and puck skills.
  • Strong but not skilled.

BUTTERFLY GOALIE
Strengths:
  • Covers the bottom part of the net utilizing the popular butterfly style.
  • Strong rebound control.
Weaknesses:
  • More vulnerable to high shots going into the top corners.
STAND-UP GOALIE
Strengths:
  • A style that might be rare in today’s game, but could be extremely effective in EASHL.
  • Covers the top part of the net more effectively.
  • Can see over screens with a higher vision rating.
  • Strong passing and puck playing ability that can help your team breakout of the defensive zone.
Weaknesses:
  • More susceptible to low shots that go along the ice.
HYBRID GOALIE
Strengths:
  • Average goalie skill across the board.
  • This goalie class is perfect for the player that like to mix up their playing style as the game goes on.
Weaknesses:
  • No major weaknesses.

VIDEOS

LINKS:
EA Beta Faq: https://www.easports.com/nhl/eashl/news/2015/eashl-beta-faq
EA Beta Feedback/Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/73FBJ5Q

BETA CLUB SETUP/CONTACTS
XB1 CLUB
Name = Napalmpom
Abbreviation = NPP
Owner XBL GT = shawnoftheshred

PS4 CLUB
Name = Beta Late Then Neva
Abbreviation = GAF
Owner PSN ID = TheVisualizer

FrsDvl

I have never played eashl. But I'm going to install NHL15 again tomorrow, and check it out. I'll be playing on XB1 so I'll join whichever club has been set up. I might be a little rusty though, haven't touched the game in months!

just saw a post over at Operation Sports with some interesting things taken from the hour Twitch stream of EASHL gameplay they did earlier

credit to jyoung over at OS
http://www.operationsports.com/foru...l-beta-gameplay-livestream-notes-updated.html

• EA has advised fans to not stay up past midnight, since the Beta download link is likely to go live Thursday morning or afternoon, whenever Sony and Microsoft update their respective marketplaces.
  • Each player class will have its own default height and weight that cannot be changed. This should help make the gameplay more realistic, and will prevent people from exploiting the height/weight system by gaining extra speed for a power forward or additional toughness for a sniper.
  • Any player class can accept a fight, though the more physical classes (grinder, tough guy, defensive defenseman) will have more stamina and more powerful punches.
  • The "playoff beards" feature will work during the EASHL's monthly playoffs. Created players' beards will become thicker as your team progresses from the opening game to the final game. The playoff tournament is four games long.
  • The positional indicator colors are back to the old system of red for center, dark blue for right wing, green for left wing, light blue for left defense, yellow for right defense, and purple for goalie.
  • NHL 16's menu music will once again be an original orchestral score. The licensed soundtrack will only play inside the arenas.
  • EA has fixed a bug that prevented players from aiming five hole in previous NHL games.
  • YouTube users are allowed to upload Beta footage.
  • The Beta will only let EASHL teams choose from the official NHL jerseys of this year's Stanley Cup Playoffs semifinalists. The final version of NHL 16 will let EASHL clubs pick from any jersey that's available in the game. You cannot create custom jerseys.
  • Fans will leave the arena early if the home team falls behind by a large margin.
  • Celebration animations are still limited to two-person interactions in NHL 16. Five-man celebrations are being considered for future versions of NHL.
  • Three-on-three overtime will not be immediately available in the EASHL, but EA is looking to add it sometime after NHL 16's release.
  • Each EASHL team is currently given three pauses per game, but EA will be monitoring this situation in the Beta to see if it's worth changing for NHL 16's final release.
  • EASHL teams cannot practice. The only way to play with your club is by starting a full, normal game.
  • In the Beta, all EASHL player classes will have the same skating attributes. Keep in mind, however, that height and weight also affect skating ability. Fan feedback will be used to determine whether or not this system should remain in the final version of NHL 16.
  • There will be a post-Beta survey where fans can give EA direct feedback. The developers will also be checking EA's official forums every day.

Delryk

For X1, just look at my profile and download from there. Its not in the store yet it seems, but i could download it from Rammer this way ;)

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Smells like old times

I won't be able to play much unfortunately, I'm working quite a bit this week. I can get a few games in at night though for whoever wants to play on X1.

bumpkin

I watched EA's stream a bit last night... A lot of things look just like 15. What's irksome is it's a lot of little things that you know they have the capability to fix. The simplest example; in real life, all five guys on the ice typically congratulate the goal scorer. In 15 -- and apparently 16 -- it's still just the scorer and one guy. Is it so hard to get that right?

Operation Sports says you can dl the beta now for Xbox One

Credit oasis90 and Steve_OS from OS
http://www.operationsports.com/foru...l-beta-xbox-one-right-now.html#post2047531535

Microsoft hasn't pushed it yet, but here are the steps to grab it now on Xbox One.

Go to the Friends tab
Then click the Friends Online tile
Go down to Find Someone
Enter rammer34 as the gamertag
Scroll over to the right, to see the Top Games (Last 30 Days)
Highlight NHL 16 EASHL Beta and hit the A button
Highlight View in Store and hit the A button
It's 4.8GB.

Edit: Mod on EA forums said:
When you log in to the beta, it connects you to the EA Servers which can then check your EA Account details to verify you've played NHL 15.
Sounds like that means those who have NHL15 via EA Access will be able to get it...

beanman25

Meh, not for me. Game lost it's competitive luster a few years back. Glad they are letting folks test it out though. From what I played at E3, it was kind of the exact same except mascots. lol

Cake Boss

Banned
Each player class will have its own default height and weight that cannot be changed. This should help make the gameplay more realistic, and will prevent people from exploiting the height/weight system by gaining extra speed for a power forward or additional toughness for a sniper.

In the Beta, all EASHL player classes will have the same skating attributes. Keep in mind, however, that height and weight also affect skating ability. Fan feedback will be used to determine whether or not this system should remain in the final version of NHL 16.

this makes no sense. So every class has a different height and weight to them?

Cake Boss

Banned
Operation Sports says you can dl the beta now for Xbox One

Credit oasis90 and Steve_OS from OS
http://www.operationsports.com/foru...l-beta-xbox-one-right-now.html#post2047531535

Microsoft hasn't pushed it yet, but here are the steps to grab it now on Xbox One.

Go to the Friends tab
Then click the Friends Online tile
Go down to Find Someone
Enter rammer34 as the gamertag
Scroll over to the right, to see the Top Games (Last 30 Days)
Highlight NHL 16 EASHL Beta and hit the A button
Highlight View in Store and hit the A button
It's 4.8GB.

Edit: Mod on EA forums said:

Sounds like that means those who have NHL15 via EA Access will be able to get it...

Do I have to download 21GB title update to get the 4.8GB?

this makes no sense. So every class has a different height and weight to them?

Not sure

From everything I read they want speed, and I think agility & acceleration to be the same across the board and that height and weight are standardized so they dont affect stats and also help them reduce wonky collision animations

Do I have to download 21GB title update to get the 4.8GB?
Not sure either, earlier in the week it mentioned the the system update would put a panel or option within the NHL15 menus to get beta download started

With the latest info I posted from the EA Mod that I found on OS it seems like maybe it just checks the EA servers to see if youve played. Maybe you need to boot the game once after the latest update for it to send the message to EA servers that you are allowed to dl the beta?

If anyone wants a team for the beta, I set up one:
Napalmpom
Abbreviation NPP

I assume thats Xbox One?
we can use that if you are OK limiting it to GAF people and/or people u know for now

Nice! Gonna try to enter Visualizer team on PS4 when the beta is up.

Yea whoever makes the teams first is fine. I wont be able to make the PS4 one until later tonight after 7:30pm est so someone will likely beat me to it. You can call the team whatever you want, prob good to set it as not public for now though and have owner/GMs handle accepting invites

Ill update the OP with the team names/abbreviations when we settle on what clubs we are using to team up

Honome

Yea whoever makes the teams first is fine. I wont be able to make the PS4 one until later tonight after 7:30pm est so someone will likely beat me to it. You can call the team whatever you want, prob good to set it as not public for now though and have owner/GMs handle accepting invites

Ill update the OP with the team names/abbreviations when we settle on what clubs we are using to team up

No problem, i only have time to play after wife & kids go to sleep, that's about 10pm brazil time, i guess its 9 or 8 pm on east us time. Once i am ready i'll check the thread for the team name.

Yes, that update will push the beta tile in the main menu. Unfortunately something went wrong with it on X1.

It's in the OP. You need to be part of a team, no drop in.

I dont think i have this in the OP since it wasnt known until people started playing this morning. Ill add it in there. Thx

Downloading it now on Xbox One. I never played EASHL, though. Or even an NHL game online. I'm also not all that great at these games.

The only ones I have are NHL 98 (Genesis), NHL 2002 (Xbox), and NHL 13 (Xbox 360). I got the latter earlier this month as a free game during a buy 2 get 1 free sale at GameStop. I originally got NHL 10, but it didn't work, so they gave me NHL 13. I got NHL 2002 for like a dollar two years ago, but my Xbox would never read it, even though the disc is fine. But my Xbox does that a lot. I need to replace the drive at some point.

Anyway, I've also played a lot of the NHL 15 demo, as well as the full game on EA Access when I had it. I had a blast playing that with my friends and younger brother went I went to visit them a while back.

I assume thats Xbox One?
we can use that if you are OK limiting it to GAF people and/or people u know for now

Yup, sorry, for Xbox One.
I set it as private and would accept requests from GAFers and friends I know.

Where exactly is it suppoused to be? Im on XB1 and dont see anything

I think people mentioned the option is not showing up in game on NHL15 yet. Look up a couple posts for the workaround to get it via Rammer on the XBL friends list.

I added that workaround to the OP as well

Downloading it now on Xbox One. I never played EASHL, though. Or even an NHL game online. I'm also not all that great at these games.

The only ones I have are NHL 98 (Genesis), NHL 2002 (Xbox), and NHL 13 (Xbox 360). I got the latter earlier this month as a free game during a buy 2 get 1 free sale at GameStop. I originally got NHL 10, but it didn't work, so they gave me NHL 13. I got NHL 2002 for like a dollar two years ago, but my Xbox would never read it, even though the disc is fine. But my Xbox does that a lot. I need to replace the drive at some point.

Anyway, I've also played a lot of the NHL 15 demo, as well as the full game on EA Access when I had it. I had a blast playing that with my friends and younger brother went I went to visit them a while back.

If you played NHL13, the game hasnt changed much since then

Where exactly is it suppoused to be? Im on XB1 and dont see anything
Search for rammer34, look at his recent games played, view NHL 16 beta, click to see it in Store, download.

Alternately, it's supposed to be up via the menus in NHL 15 today. Not sure if it's been updated yet, though.

Great, I'll try to logon as often as possible to accept requests.

If we get a few others to join and post in here I assume you will be able to setup another "assistant captain/gm" or whatever its called that can help with invites

I dont expect there will be a lot if interest as GAF in general hates sports games and NHL15 was shit so not a lot of people have the game

Im around and available to create the PS4 club whenever the DL is available

If we get a few others to join and post in here I assume you will be able to setup another "assistant captain/gm" or whatever its called that can help with invites

I dont expect there will be a lot if interest as GAF in general hates sports games and NHL15 was shit so not a lot of people have the game

Im around and available to create the PS4 club whenever the DL is available
I'll make a couple of assistant GMs to help with the process. For today, until about 6pm MST, I'll try to accept requests at least once an hour.

Cake Boss

Banned
Search for rammer34, look at his recent games played, view NHL 16 beta, click to see it in Store, download.

Alternately, it's supposed to be up via the menus in NHL 15 today. Not sure if it's been updated yet, though.

I am gonna see if I can do this without installing that giant useless 21GB NHL 15 update, since its not even up from the menu anyways.

Yaari

Can you only play this when you join a club? I remember in Fifa Teams you could play as a free agent with randoms or something. I don't want to bother people because I'm horrible at this game. I just want to give it a try.

IMACOMPUTA

After you get it do you need the disc to play on PS4? Or can i let my cousin borrow the disc for the beta download?

[EDIT] I'm an idiot. I read the OP a while back and re-reading it i see the answer is no, you do not need the disc after the initial download.

Thanks.

Can you only play this when you join a club? I remember in Fifa Teams you could play as a free agent with randoms or something. I don't want to bother people because I'm horrible at this game. I just want to give it a try.

No drop in/free agent games in the beta

Im sure people wont mind you joining up with other gaffers to check the game out

After you get it do you need the disc to play on PS4? Or can i let my cousin borrow the disc for the beta download?

From what ive read you just need the game to get to the download and the beta opens as a separate game/application.

I would guess you can prob share your disc afterwards unless they tie each download to a disc, which seems unlikely

So Vis, are you and I the only ones with a PS4?

from the old team

Swim
Aces
Noz
Marv (in a couple weeks)
RS4

All said they will play in the full game

Delryk has a PS4 now but not sure what his plans are

ForsakenKid played with me, aces and marv in NHL14 when we started the boycotters club and I think hes buddies with wsoxfan as well who had a PS4 last I checked

We should be able to put together a good bunch

Top Bottom