• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stop sleeping on Carly Rae Jepsen's music

Status
Not open for further replies.

PS_GUY

Y0xccCPl.jpg

I'm going to be the first to admit that I'm not the biggest fan of pop music. However, there's just something different about Carly Rae Jepsen's music. It sounds genuine, and not artificial or manufactured like some of the more well known pop acts out there. I guess it doesn't hurt that she's this tiny, adorable Canadian.

Her first single, I Really Like You, failed to top the chart like Call Me Maybe did, but she did manage to stay on the Billboard's top 100 for over 20 weeks. I guess having Tom Hanks star in the music video didn't hurt.

Her second single, Run Away With Me, has this awesome synth saxophone in it. A lot of people are also saying it's Carly's version of Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream".

10HeSQll.png

She just dropped Warm Blood, which is my favorite so far from her album. It doesn't even sound like a song she would record which is why I like it so much. It's a collaboration between Carly and Rostam Batmanglij from Vampire Weekend.

Here are the remaining 2 songs she has released so far which are just easily as great: All That and EMOTION

Her new album, E•MO•TION, comes out in North America on August 21st.

E•MO•TION is currently number 28 on Rateyourmusic.com. This is huge since mainstream pop music are hardly ever rated that high on that site.

I am officially on the Carly Rae Jepsen train and you should be too, Neogaf!

PS_GUY

C'mon Gaf, be a little open-minded and let Carly into your life!

Just listen to Warm Blood dammit!

It's some underground, experimental pop music, not just your average bubble-gum pop music.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
EMOTION (the single) has great production. I really like it. One of the standout pop tracks of the year for me, the rest seems a bit lacklustre.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
listening to warm blood. its nice. will try the other songs and maybe pre-order the album.

and wow to the picture >> did not know that she looks like that >> perfect girl for me

don't like "All That" really do not like it.
Really Like You is nice.
Warm Blood is the best so far.
Emotion is pretty good.
Run Away with Me is nice.

Maengun1

As far as pure sugary pop music, she's my favorite out there right now. Her new album is much better than Taylor Swift's (who I don't get the appeal of at all) or something like Katy Perry (zzzz) etc.

"When I Needed You" off the new album is great (sorry, doesn't appear to be on youtube or I'd link).

Feep

Banned
I was once a volunteer from the audience at a show at the Magic Castle alongside CRJ.

She was adorable. <3

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stump's alt account?

I really dislike Call me maybe and went in with very low expectations, but I'm pleasantly surprised with Warm Blood. Not half bad at all, I'll keep my eye on her future releases.

komplanen

Came here expecting a teaching story about how Florida man slept on a stack of CD's of his favorite artist and somehow got im trouble.

amaretto

I feel slightly ashamed for people who don't recognize EMOTION as a top 5 (at worst) candidate for AOTY.

The beautiful freedom, bliss & joy in almost every song is just woo. Let me blast When I Needed You & cry happy tears.

see5harp

Her album is definitely a lot better than I thought it would be. It's a much better album than her debut.

EDIT: In fact, it's a much better album than 1986 even if it's missing some of the crazy radio singles.

Can I sleep with her as well?

(I find her music to be catchy. I use it when I need an upbeat song to get me ready for a big moment)

KHlover

Banned
"Owl City ft. Carly Rae Jepsen - Good Time" is pretty much the only song starring her I know besides Call Me Maybe. Good song to relax to, but that might be more on Owl City that CRJ.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Yeah I gotta admit her shit is catchy, and I don't feel dirty listening to it either.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
She's super adorable.

linsivvi

C'mon Gaf, be a little open-minded and let Carly into your life!

Just listen to Warm Blood dammit!

It's some underground, experimental pop music, not just your average bubble-gum pop music.

Dude, there's nothing underground or experimental about that song.

It's not a bad track though.

Frodo

All That is a bop. I'll give you that.

And I'll stream the album when it is finally released here, even though it has been out in Japan for years now.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Not my kind of music whatsoever. I will continue to sleep on it, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom