• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Gamescom Demo Impressions + Footage

tcrunch

Post a link here and I will add it.

Demo Footage:
16 minutes (IGN): Youtube / IGN Player (off-cam)
BOSS FIGHT SPOILER (IGN): Youtube / IGN Player (off-cam)
11 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVNVu-V26Lc (off-cam)
8 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l82BICToWZ4 (off-cam)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Lq_mNYy2k (off-cam)

Impressions:
Fextralife / Fextralife New Screenshots and Mechanics Round-Up
Eurogamer.de (non-English)
@peeverson
@peeverson (mechanics testing video)
DreadedCone / Oroboro (video)
DaveControl (video)
TerraMantis (video)
Gamespot
PCgamer
Escapist
Polygon
Destructoid
Playstation Access (video)
WorthPlaying
Ars Technica
SunlightBlade (video)
PCgames.de (non-English, Miyazaki interview - confirms as many weapons as DS2, demo characters were sped up, magic in next demo)

Screenshots & Art:
Screenshots
Art

gIp8Th3.jpg
NSHcOTb.jpg
HvIa8NO.jpg
O4Jozse.jpg

Mechanics:
Fextralife
Something to note about [Weapon Arts] is that you have to hold L2 to use some of them and others preform an action instantly when pressed. The Longsword for example, you have to hold L2 or you cannot use it, and while holding L2 you can’t block, heal, etc. It makes timing important. The Axe on the other hand, has a Battle Cry of sorts (I think it is called “War Cry“) that seems to stun nearby enemies and is instantly cast.
-
The first thing that we all noted was what seemed to be a “Mana Bar“, a blue colored demons-souls-like bar in between your health and stamina. No spells were cast and it was never used, so we asked “What is this”, and the answer… “This is a WIP and may be a place holder”
-
L2 is “Arts/Parry.” You have two stances with your shield, offensive and defensive. Selecting offensive will cause you to use a battle art, rather than parry. From the loading screen:
Arts are unique to a weapon held in right hand or both hands. equip a kite round shield or wield two handed to perform arts. Some arts can be followed up with a special attack. Parries are exclusive to small shields in left hand. Follow up with RB for riposte critical.
-
There is a sword symbol under health bar with a number – this is the number of times you can use Weapon Arts, and so is like bullets in Bloodborne (only much more powerful!)
-
Poise may determine the length you are staggered when hit, not IF you are staggered, but this has not been confirmed, it was audience observation from myself and those around me.
-
Miyazaki wants knights to be strong characters again, having got weaker earlier in series. Knights will move differently when equipped with different weapons.
SunlightBlade
Also me & peeve tried ravioli steps, reverse rolling, toggling and it all didn't seem to work
Gleacrawler
@SunlightBlade @Peeverson didn't intend to reverse roll but if you kill an enemy and roll while the lockon breaks it seemed to work for me
PCgamer
Another thing that’s new, at least to my recollection: enemies that change stances. When I faced off against one of Dark Souls 3’s knights, he stalked towards me with sword and shield in hand. When I backed away, he decided to switch gears from 'let’s dance' to 'get fucked,' tossed his shield to his back, gripped his sword with both hands, and charged right at me. It was terrifying.

I died.
TerraMantis
+ One boss has an aura that can apply a !FROSTBITE! debuff, which makes stamina recover slowly
DreadedCone/Oroboro
+ L3 jump option YES
+ Toggle-escape NO
+ Omnidirectional attacking YES
+ No access to inventory/stats menus, only settings menu
+ No humanity bar
+ DS1-style freethrowing of knives and firebombs back, can throw firebomb at your feet to catch roll-backstabbers
+ Knife tracks really tightly and flies fast, tracks strafers but not runners, you MUST react to knives in pvp to dodge them, can hit dogs running around with knives
+ Backstabs are instant, but you must be directly behind enemy, window is extremely narrow, no stabbing from the sides/45-degree angle
+ Poise-break seemed similar to DS1, but enemies had extreme hyper-armor (my note: this contradicts Fextralife's impression that all the enemies stagger easily, maybe a change in the version of the game played?)
+ DS1-style movement, "DS3 feels like an awesome DS1 DLC"
+ DS1-style stamina, running/sprinting cheap, battle actions very costly
+ DS1-style parrying, but you can only parry with small shields (buckler, target, small leather shield, NOT kite shield, other medium shields, etc)
+ DS1-style "instant" estus healing, chugging allowed
+ Kicking is improved, you can guard break and riposte off kicks
+ Jumping R2 can now also be activated while sprinting, while locked or unlocked, character does not stop to do the weapon animation
+ All weapon combos are strung together very smoothly, R1 L1 R1 is faster than R1 R1 R1
+ Weapon Arts is a combination of DS2's power stance and Bloodborne's charge attack systems, never required to use, forgot about it often, will benefit PVP more than PVE
+ Northern Warrior class's starting axe weapon art is a ground pound that stuns enemies
+ Bandit axe weapon art lights hands on fire and does a damage buff
+ Resting at a bonfire did not replenish weapon arts, but dying did
+ Weapon arts change based on stance, for example with shield/sword, if you L2 with shield out you will parry or do the shield's art (depends on shield), but if you two-hand the sword you will do the sword's art
+ Holding R2 does charge attack like Bloodborne
+ DS3 enemy AI is more consistent than in earlier games, DS3 enemy will punish you more for being aggressive
+ DS3 enemy pathfinding is extremely accurate, enemies will sprint around obstacles and find you if you try to cheese them
WorthPlaying
An important element of combat is the Battle Arts system. You always have the standard attack and parry moves available when using a sword and shield. The Arts system adds bonuses to your attacks, though each use has a small drawback, so it's a risk/reward kind of thing. Do you use standard attacks and go with what's known? Or do you risk using the Arts, knowing that if you miss, you've just opened yourself up to a punishing counter? The AI never passes up on an opportunity to punish. "You died." Yes, yes I did, again and again.

Using the regular sword, the Arts attack put my character into a stance from which he could launch a more powerful blow. It required timing the attack but wasn't that much different from a regular attack. Where the Arts really became useful was with the great sword. By itself, the great sword was powerful but so bloody slow. The Arts allowed for a rush that could break an enemy's block or an attack that cut low to high, launching an enemy into the air. To be honest, it looked like a golf swing of death. Due to speed, I couldn't really use the great sword's Arts attack in a crowd, but when going one-on-one, it was glorious.

Online:
Peeve
So by dedicated game servers, they mean Dark Souls 3 will be similar to DkS2. Also found out DkS2 had no Peer to Peer involved, at all.
-
Confirmed P2P is NOT in DkS2. The From employee giving presentation/Q&A was almost amazed we thought it had P2P
(I don't believe you, From employee.)
DreadedCone/Oroboro
+ Network test likely in December/January, expecting end-of-March release

Demo
Fextralife
Two Classes available in demo: Wandering Knight and Northern warrior
-
[Fat knight is supposedly in the demo, not just Dancer]
PCgamer
And the demo was obviously locked to a single area, meaning the wonder of discovery and exploration of a huge interconnected world just wasn’t there.

Having said that, I was surprised and pleased with just how layered the area we explored turned out to be. There were multiple paths through stone buildings, across ramparts and rooftops, with at least two shortcuts to be unlocked (a door and an elevator) and chests and secrets to find in out-of-the-way locations. If this area is a representative microcosm of Dark Souls 3’s world, it’s going to be as dense and interconnected as the original.
TerraMantis
+ In-game gravestone quote: To honour and shadowy retreats, fear the sun's temptations, and the winged executioner
DreadedCone/Oroboro
+ Fat knight has 3 spells, which look like: soul geyser, soul spear, AOE magic
+ Only option at bonfire in the demo is to Leave, did replenish all enemies
+ Knights with red capes are extremely vicious like Balder/black knights or red eye knights, high health, more dangerous than bosses in some cases
+ 3 bosses: fat knight, dancer, and a secret boss that looked similar to the final boss but also like "an elite knight that crawled toward you", very j-horror, created a !FROSTBITE! status effect, thought it made you take more damage from the boss's attacks

Graphics
Fextralife
The game never went over 30 FPS and sometimes was even less, that’s not a criticism, that’s just a statement. I’m aware this is probably and alpha build. One of the things I really noticed was the effects seem much improved.

The demo was clearly running on a PC. Resolution is great, and the draw distances are impeccable which is nice as you can see other parts of the castle in the distance.
Fire lingers on the ground after things are lit and it is the most realistic fire I’ve seen in a Souls game.
-
The hud looks nearly identical to Dark Souls 2, with the exception of a Solaire symbol in the upper left corner, possibly depicting the Covenant of the player.
PCgamer
The hour I spent with Dark Souls 3 wasn’t quite the stellar experience of Dark Souls 2’s port. It was running at 30 frames per second (mostly consistently, though one rooftop area sent the framerate dipping into the teens) and a locked 1080p. The 27-inch monitor that was two feet from my face didn’t do the game any favors, either—that’s too big a screen, too up-close, for 1080p to offer a sharp picture. Dark Souls 2 ran smoothly at a locked 60 fps and could handle just about any resolution you threw at it.
DreadedCone/Oroboro
+ Lighting sword on fire looks very realistic, fire coming up from base of sword

The game never went over 30 FPS and sometimes was even less, that’s not a criticism, that’s just a statement.

That's a shame, going from DS2 SOTFS to Bloodborne I noticed the difference in fps immediately. Maybe next gen we'll get an original Souls release (on consoles) with 60fps!

Gbraga

Can't wait for youtube links of the IGN videos.

Do you guys think the PC requirements for this will be much higher than DS2 or about the same?

Definitely much higher. I could run Dark Souls II at 3200x1800 and 60fps, I don't think that will be possible in this game. Porbably 1080p 60fps or even 1080p 30fps.

If it was about the same, then it would be 60fps on consoles.

That's a shame, going from DS2 SOTFS to Bloodborne I noticed the difference in fps immediately. Maybe next gen we'll get an original Souls release (on consoles) with 60fps!

It's not like their devs will learn to polish/port till then. I like the games from From Software, but damn they are so incompetent from a technical perspective.

BadWolf

Definitely much higher. I could run Dark Souls II at 3200x1800 and 60fps, I don't think that will be possible in this game. Porbably 1080p 60fps or even 1080p 30fps.

If it was about the same, then it would be 60fps on consoles.

Haha at 11:50.

Movement seems too fast for heavy armour, it needs more weight.

The character theyre using is probably specced to keep everyone fast rolling. People always seem to forget these details when gameplay footage of a new souls game comes out. I wouldnt worry about the speed, its like one uptick from Dark Souls 1 nothing really huge at all.

Matter of fact, im willing to bet poise will work like DeS in this game.

Gbraga

I love the lack of fog walls from Bloodborne, nice that they kept it.

Though it was still always quite obvious when a boss fight was coming.

Top Bottom