• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What temp do you set your AC to before you leave the house for work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
10 degrees Celsius. Then I put my washing machine on even though there's no clothes inside, and make sure al the lights are on.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
You leave your AC on when you go to work?

What the? I live in Brooklyn and turn it off when I leave. When I get back home, it's like 90 degrees inside for like 10 minutes until the AC makes it cool again.

Seems like a huge waste of electricity to avoid being uncomfortable for 10 minutes. What is your power bill like?

Krejlooc

Banned
You leave your AC on when you go to work?

What the? I live in Brooklyn and turn it off when I leave. When I get back home, it's like 90 degrees inside for like 10 minutes until the AC makes it cool again.

Seems like a huge waste of electricity to avoid being uncomfortable for 10 minutes. What is your power bill like?

...yeah, it's much different in Texas. Leave your AC off while you go to work, and you'll come home to a home that's like 120 degrees that takes 45 minutes to cool down.

80. Because it's Texas and hot as balls in August.

I put in a Nest thermostat which seemed to work better. My AC ran less and I could program it to kick on at the time that I got off work so I could come home to a cool apartment. Had to have a maintenance guy come to my apartment a few weeks ago to replace the lights in my kitchen and he must have said something to the landlord because they told me to put the old thermostat back on.

My AC seems to run way more often than it used to. I don't know if it's because the last few weeks have been much warmer or if it's because the thermostat sucks, or both.

:(

zulux21

Seems wasteful to have on when you're not home no?

it really depends.
A. I have cats at home that are far happier with the AC still on.
B. Dust mites thrive in warmer conditions but don't thrive in a properly regulated environment. I used to turn off my AC at work because it didn't take that long to cool down my apartment again and my cats can deal with 80-85(I would seal up the house as best as I could to keep the heat out) for a bit, but my doctor actually told me to stop doing that since I am allergic to dust mites and the non AC time was giving them a chance to greatly reproduce as my place warmed up and was what was causing my non stop allergy problems at home, much better at home now that I don't turn off the AC.

as for what temp, I usually move it up to 74 or so when I go to work, but I turn it back down to 70 or so when I am home. I don't like hot temps and I have only found like a $5-$10 difference in a month setting it at 70 instead of 78 (varies depending on how hot it is outside) thus I don't mind paying a little more to be much happier at home.

Humidity in GA makes it take forever to cool down if it's left completely off.
Usually set it to 80.
Only takes a few minutes to get to maintained temperature, as opposed to 30+ minutes if left completely off in this 90+ degree heat.

My Nest thermostat turns off automatically when no one's around, if it's particularly hot I'll turn it back on before I get home.

old

I leave it on. 68 or 65. I like it cold. This past winter I slept with a window open, even during a blizzard.

During the summer I set my AC to the mid 60's at night and put a fan on me full blast. I cannot sleep with a warm face. If I'm stuffy I'll stay up all night. During the day ill turn it up a bit because I won't notice it if I'm focused on something else anyways.

I set it at 74, which is at the apartment complex's request. That's their suggested temperature due to whatever models they have in all of the apartments. IDK. The entire building shares an electricity bill, so why not?

ApCEbmw.jpg

Being able to turn a 100 degrees into 70 degrees only through city architecture is what we need.

zulux21

I'll give you a hint. This past winter I slept with a window open, even during a blizzard.

During the summer I set my AC to the mid 60's at night and put a fan on me full blast. I cannot sleep with a warm face. If I'm stuffy I'll stay up all night. During the day ill turn it up a bit because I won't notice it if I'm focused on something else anyways.

heh, I closed mine during bad storms but in general I had my bedroom window open during the winter (at least a crack) and didn't have the heat on even though it was around 0F outside.

it doesn't help I am on top of the laundry room so even with 0 degree temps and no heat on my apartment still is around 65-70 in the winter. I prefer much closer to 55-60 to sleep.

What's AC?

Northern folk should do this thread in winter for heater temps

I don't pay for my heating...
I set it to 60 :p

styl3s

Seems wasteful to have on when you're not home no?
I have 3 dogs and running my unit year round. Usually 68 during summer (sometimes i will bump it to 70 if it isn't hot as satans ass crack outside) and usually 70 during winter (72 if it gets really cold)

My TV bill cost more then my electric bill if that tells you anything. It's cheap to live here and i know there are a lot of days i could not run it and be comfortable and i could not waste so much energy and blah blah i just honestly don't care i have the means i would rather live what short time i have on this earth super saiyan comfortable not krillin comfortable. My generations the worst i know.
You move it 1 degree? Somehow this makes perfect sense knowing it's you.

Also, who the hell keeps the air on when no one is home? Shit is wasteful as all hell.
Animals?

Bilix

Live in Florida.
Don't turn on AC at work.

Doesn't really get that hot when I get home. The low 80s is about as hot as it gets.

72, but 73 when we need to save money.
You move it 1 degree? Somehow this makes perfect sense knowing it's you.

Also, who the hell keeps the air on when no one is home? Shit is wasteful as all hell.

It's a matter of principle, fuck programmable thermostats.

Hell, I actually went out of my way today to rip to old one off, and install a new non-programmable one.
Why gets upset that they can control their settings? That's like getting mad you can control the temperature of your oven more than "hot" and "very hot" settings.

ItIsOkBro

Electricity where i live is several times more expensive from 5-8 than any other time of the day.

Well I'll have you know your electricity company are a bunch of bastards. It's more expensive during the hours when no one's home here. The idea being that you shouldn't use it during those hours lest you be punished.

Tarkus

72 24/7. It's hot and humid in GA now. Fuck coming home to a hot house.

Edit: I lied. My wife said she turns it up to 80 when she leaves.

HUELEN10

My Nest thermostat turns off automatically when no one's around, if it's particularly hot I'll turn it back on before I get home.

I was going to buy us a Nest today, but then I learned the greedy electric company abruptly stopped giving 200 USD rebates for installing one.

Greedy bastards! Smart thermostats are great, beats non-programmable, but non-programmable is still better than a shitty programmable one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom