• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales for July 2015

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Overall retail sales are up 6% year over year.

Hardware sales saw a "modest growth" year over year.

Retail software sales were "flat" year over year.

Software:

51NQaMHiwGL._SL160_SL150_.jpg
51%2Bi4bpzWPL._SL160_SL150_.jpg
51EYPFcLK9L._SL160_SL150_.jpg
61r3go-E5VL._SL160_SL150_.jpg
51I7K0o10aL._SL160_SL150_.jpg

1.) Lego: Jurassic World (360, 3DS, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U, PS4, Vita)
2.) Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
3.) Minecraft (360, PS3 ,Xbox One, PS4)
4.) Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
5.) Rory Mcilroy PGA Tour (PS4, Xbox One)
6.) The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
7.) Destiny (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
8.) Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
9.) FIFA 15 (PS4, 360, Xbox One, PS3, Wii, Vita, 3DS)
10.) Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)

Notes:
- PS4 leads in software in July
- If you include bundle sales, Batman: Arkham Knight was "easily" the best selling title in July
- Rory McIlroy PGA Tour's first month sales exceeded Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 by "close to 70%"
- Wii U software sales are up 10% this year compared to the first seven months of 2014
- Splatoon sold nearly 85,000 units (retail + digital) in July, bringing the total to nearly 540,000
- “After 21 months, combined Xbox One and PS4 hardware unit sales are close to 50 percent higher than the combined sales of Xbox 360 and PS3 after 21 months on the market,” said Callahan.
- Accessories sales up 17% YOY, interactive figures up 42%

Hardware:

PlayStation 4: Top selling
Xbox One: Up 44% year over year; estimated around 188-189,000

Notes:
- 3DS up nearly 35% in 2015 compared to the first seven months of 2014

Welfare

Thank you, Mpl90. You are the real MVP.

Xbox One 189k | July 2014 131k x 1.44 = 189k

MoM drop was 36%

YoY rise is 44%

Weekly average

June: 297k / 5 weeks = 59,400

July: 189k / 4 weeks = 47,250

3DS is a number

Meh, who cares about NPD? They aren't even close to showing the full story. Who cares if Sony sold 20000 or so consoles more? July saw the launch of Windows 10, bringing with it 14 million people into the Xbox ecosystem within 24 hours. That's enough to eliminate the sales gap IN ONE DAY.

I don't see how Sony can recover from this. I mean at one point they had the Vaio, but Kaz shortsightedly got out of the PC business to afford buying timed DLC for CoD.

I guess I should let all the ponies enjoy this one NPD battle, but Microsoft is winning the war.

Tratorn

That Lego and Minecraft still sell so "bad" on PS4 isn't good for the upcoming holiday/christmas sales.

It was a problem last gen with PS3, where (besides the first few years) it managed to not be behind the 360 by a huge margin in 9 months of the year, but get "destroyed" in october - december. And this gen it still seems that parents prefer XBox/Nintendo platforms as a gift for their kids. Of course that's relatively spoken.

If you want to have really great holiday sales, your console should also be the "goto" platform for games like lego, minecraft, just dance etc., but PlayStation still seems to lack the "I'm a good familiy gift"-appeal a bit.

QuikNez

1. 189 K is respectable for X1
  2. Surprisingly, Destiny continues to be in Beast mode
  3. Unsurprisingly, PS4 is in Beastiality mode

Chobel

We still have no estimation for PS4? C'mon people

“After 21 months, combined Xbox One and PS4 hardware unit sales are close to 50 percent higher than the combined sales of Xbox 360 and PS3 after 21 months on the market,” said Callahan.

AdanVC

This top ten is just... A golf game charting. I have never enjoyed a golf videogame in my life, not even the one on Wii Sports. Grand Theft Auto... almost two years since it was released and continues charting. Pretty much every single person with a 360, PS3, X1 and PS4 has the game... and PC. Splatoon out of the top ten :'( Do we know how much Wii U sold? 1k probably.

Wow. Sony is like unstoppable right now. With upcoming bundles like Battlefront and Blackops - I think they might take the holidays too. Congrats Sony.

Boke1879

That Lego and Minecraft still sell so "bad" on PS4 isn't good for the upcoming holiday/christmas sales.

It was a problem last gen with PS3, where (besides the first few years) it managed to not be behind the 360 by a huge margin in 9 months of the year, but get "destroyed" in october - december. And this gen it still seems that parents prefer XBox/Nintendo platforms as a gift for their kids. Of course that's relatively spoken.

If you want to have really great holiday sales, your console should also be the "goto" platform for games like lego, minecraft, just dance etc., but PlayStation still seems to lack the "I'm a good familiy gift"-appeal a bit.

Eh those games are selling better on last gen platforms though. So It could have something to do with how cheap last gen consoles are plus the family friendly options.

Lets be real. The consoles are going to sell well because of Halo, Fallout, Battlefront, COD, MGS and Batman. Plus amazing bundles and great holiday deals.

Tapejara

Good year for Warner Bros. Dying Light, Mortal Kombat X, Arkham Knight and now LEGO Jurassic World. What do they have for the rest of the year? LEGO Avengers?

Also, somewhat surprised PS4 was second last for LEGO Jurassic Sales. Guess the 360 is still doing well when it comes to "family" (edit: "family" was the better word choice) software.

Toki767

Meh, who cares about NPD? They aren't even close to showing the full story. Who cares if Sony sold 20000 or so consoles more? July saw the launch of Windows 10, bringing with it 14 million people into the Xbox ecosystem within 24 hours. That's enough to eliminate the sales gap IN ONE DAY.

I don't see how Sony can recover from this. I mean at one point they had the Vaio, but Kaz shortsightedly got out of the PC business to afford buying timed DLC for CoD.

I guess I should let all the ponies enjoy this one NPD battle, but Microsoft is winning the war.

I don't think anyone's falling for it. Boo.

I'm guessing this is just sarcasm but I reserve the right to have a sensible chuckle about it later.

Ōkami

Ōkami;175339395 said:
PS3+360 after 21 months: ~10998k

That's 360 from November 2005 to July 2007 and PS3 from November 2006 to July 2008.

Close to 50% higher would put XB1+PS4 at <16498k.
Quoting myself from the predictions thread, posted this just as the thread came out.

Kids want what their friends have, and will natter at their parents to get it. This gen, that's PS4.

Whatever happened last gen with PS3 has no parallel now. If anything, it's the Xbone that's struggling to "not be behind" the PS4 by a huge margin in 9 months of year. If they hold yet another firesale this holiday season, it'll help - but only in the United States.

Kyoufu

I'm guessing the reason that Destiny sold more on Xbone in July was because of people waiting for the PS4 TTK bundle next month?

That's all I got.

Top Bottom