• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Chinese Company Tencent Planning to hire Kojima to develop new IP

Justified

A rumour has surfaced on Chinese media recently which states that Tencent would be interested in hiring the Metal Gear Solid producer, Hideo Kojima.

The source that broke the news said that an executive in the company intends to hire Kojima to develop new IP’s and the negotiation process has already started.

Tencent is a Chinese company who provide games, social media, e-commerce and other services within China and Asia. They are the world’s largest gaming company in terms of revenue and hold big stakes in companies such as Riot Games, Activision Blizzard and Epic Games.

http://www.mrgamer.net/news/150

http://gearnuke.com/chinas-tencent-planning-hire-hideo-kojima/ [English]

h/t Z.E

LOicMJA.gif

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hideo would likely have a large set of suitors asking for his services so this one would make less sense than the likely more lucrative offers he would receive from major players.

Jawmuncher

F2P game using Unreal Engine 4 but with Kojimas style.
That was the first thing I thought of when reading the companies wikipedia.
Though they could perhaps be wanting to hire him, since they want to shift a bit into regular software style sales.

Arion

Tencent are known for multiplayer f2p games so I'm not too happy about this. But they do have a lot of money so it would be great if they let Kojima make single player games instead.

Machina

Banned
Why would Kojima buy into this and risk the brick walls of chinese censorship? Go to the west and do what you want.

Foffy

Banned
I read this is Tencent wanting to buy Konami. I was ready to say "good riddance, Konami" but Kojima? Pls no.

Alienous

Fuck, I wouldn't mind seeing Hideo Kojima's take on a free-to-play game. Wasn't he talking about having the player pay for another copy of a game every time they die?

Give Kojima a couple dozen million dollars and let him have a go, Tencent.

Jawmuncher

Why not ? Does this company have a bad record ?

They're not the fit for the kind of games Kojima has made in the past.
They bought epic games for the engine and sold off gears like it was nothing. They don't seem to really have much of a care for Single Player experiences.

DrArchon

I'm sure plenty of companies want to hire him.

Tencent wouldn't be the end of the world or anything. They really haven't screwed around with the Western companies that they're involved them (at least to my knowledge). As long as they just cut the check and let Kojima do what he wants that'd be pretty great for everyone involved.

They're not the fit for the kind of games Kojima has made in the past.
They bought epic games for the engine and sold off gears like it was nothing. They don't seem to really have much of a care for Single Player experiences.

Well, it's not like they can't start somewhere. I doubt they'd hire Kojima to developp a MOBA.

What's up with China and video games right now?

Also, yeah right.

Consoles just got legalized for public sale, so it's become a boom town for gaming startups with minimal understanding of the business.

If Tencent wants to make a serious play at the mainstream, Kojima's not a bad place to start.

wrowa

The interesting part isn't that they are interested in him, but that they are supposedly already in talks with Kojima.

They also have a ton of money, as far as I'm aware.

The picture rumored to be him at tencent HQ looks nothing like him and we all know he is busy editing the launch trailer of TPP now.

iMax

A rumour has surfaced on Chinese media recently which states that Tencent would be interested in hiring the Metal Gear Solid producer, Hideo Kojima.

The source that broke the news said that an executive in the company intends to hire Kojima to develop new IP’s and the negotiation process has already started.

I'm sure this is the case for a whole bunch of other companies too.

KarasuEXE

I checked Wikipedia to see what games they made. CrossFire, AVA, Dungeon & Fighter are the most well known, and also Epic Games, Riot Games and GLU Mobile stand out as subsidiaries and significant investments. Well, it seems the next Kojima game might be MMO/FPS/MOBA/Mobile.

5taquitos

Hideo would likely have a large set of suitors asking for his services so this one would make less sense than the likely more lucrative offers he would receive from major players.

Tencent could put in a more lucrative offer than most of the other players without breaking a sweat.

Top Bottom