• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami taking down various older iOS games, including the original carnival of stupid

Takao

Banned
Never forget.

Konami's not willing to update their iOS catalog to newer OSes, so they're pulling down a bunch of them on September 10th.
http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2015/08/26/90577.html
・DanceDanceRevolution S (JP)
・DanceDanceRevolution S+(JP)
・Field Prowlers POLICE RUSH! (JP)
・FroggerPad(JP)
・METAL GEAR SOLID TOUCH (JP)
・SILENT HILL The Escape (JP)
・SILENT SCOPE (JP)
・Happy Face Popper
・Elemental Monster TD
・Crayon Physics Deluxe
・Charlene's Beachside Solitaire
・Table Game Selection
・Knights of the Phantom Castle
・Tomena Scanner TOUCH
・NeoSameGame
・Hyper Sports Winter
・Hyper Sports (Track and Field)
・Bomberman TOUCH -The Legend of Mystic Bomb-
・Bomberman Chains
・Bomberman Dojo
・Love Plus iM
・Love Plus iN
・Love Plus iR
・Hanafuda-kyo
・100 Ghost Stories
・Grappling Action: Moon Dancer
・World RPS
・Chikuwa Ninja
・Mahjong Police
・Haunted Pics
・Shot Watch

All released between 2008-2011.

This announcement is for the Japanese region, but I can't see any reason to believe the west would be excluded.

HUELEN10

But if mobile is dead to them, is it really gonna just be slots and shit like that from here on out?

Bomberman touch is LITERALLY the App Store's first game!

ZeroX03

Banned
It's ridiculous that a software update could render entire games obsolete. Mobile utopia it ain't.

It happens on every platform. Games end up needing updates or people need to tweak stuff to work. It's not ridiculous to expect an OS to improve while cutting obsolete things. And in the case of say SE's titles, I'm pretty sure it was something as arbitrary as a directory fix.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah. The teaser image they used was heavily reminiscent of the 360 logo so people went nuts

It should be said that "heavily reminiscent of the 360 logo" means "a green power symbol". That was literally all people had to go on and the conclusion many came to was "The X360's power symbol turns green when the console is on! This is finally it, guys! MGS4 for the X360!".

It should be said that "heavily reminiscent of the 360 logo" means "a green power symbol".

MGST_tease.jpg

Yeah

KevinCow

Banned
I don't know if any of these games are worth playing, but it still bothers me when digital-only games are completely removed from the market. Why do game companies care so little about the preservation of their games?

OmegaFax

Sega did the same thing with some of their mobile games not that long ago. I guess they're still downloadable if you bought them? ... but otherwise, they're depreciated relics at this point.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's ridiculous that a software update could render entire games obsolete. Mobile utopia it ain't.

Uh... OS updates can do the same on PC. Console "updates"/hardware refreshes can do the same (hello, no Backwards Comp).

It ain't just mobile.

Also "the next Metal Gear is..." discontinued?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
At least jubeat is still available. Thanks Konami!

What's the point of being a mobile developer if you don't even support your mobile games.

Maybe they have data on app usage and don't think it's worth updating apps from 2008 that have small amounts of users.

SURGEdude

VARIA

That Castlevania SOTN puzzle game is awesome, glad it's not on the list...or if it is, glad it's on my iOS list.

Ha!

Wait...from that thread...

Actually, it's Metal Gear Solid 5: Prologue.

You'll pay for the game that is actually a demo and online-beta, and you'l be happy pupy.

The green power symbol... green...the earth... earth = ground... power should be grounded... the circle looks like a zero...

KOOOOOOJIIIIIIMAAAAAAAAAAA

daevious

Actually, it's Metal Gear Solid 5: Prologue.

You'll pay for the game that is actually a demo and online-beta, and you'l be happy pupy.

Alright, fess up. Which one of you went back in time and posted this?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Konami's strange alien parasite mindflayers may command them to not only never put these back online again, but attempt to remove them outright from the systems so that people who've previously downloaded them can't play them again.

Hylian7

this is a pretty common move in the mobile marketplace

Not a valid excuse. People buy these things and are expected to be able to play them. You can always scoff at them and say "Well don't update your phone's OS", except that simply doesn't work because you need it for new features, but most importantly security updates. Remember the recent Android security issues? Yeah updates fixed those.

It's not buying a new console, it's just upgrading software on your mobile device.

Not a valid excuse. People buy these things and are expected to be able to play them. You can always scoff at them and say "Well don't update your phone's OS", except that simply doesn't work because you need it for new features, but most importantly security updates. Remember the recent Android security issues? Yeah updates fixed those.

It's not buying a new console, it's just upgrading software on your mobile device.

These kind of things need a compatability mode

oni-link

I don't know if any of these games are worth playing, but it still bothers me when digital-only games are completely removed from the market. Why do game companies care so little about the preservation of their games?

For the same reason hip hop sucks in 96

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You're acting as if we can play games we purchased 5 years ago on the current consoles .

Incorrect analogy.

A PS3 will always play every PS3 game.

This is more akin to a firmware update for PS3 killing your ability to play PS3 games.

oni-link

You're acting as if we can play games we purchased 5 years ago on the current consoles .

Yeah but we can play games we brought 5 years ago on our old systems, you'd have a point if there was a PS3/360 software update that removed a lot of games from sale/our libraries

Edit: beaten by a minute

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Incorrect analogy.

A PS3 will always play every PS3 game.

Yeah, but vital day-one patches won't always be available. Lots of discs are going to be coasters long before physical degradation is even a factor.

The PS3/360 gen was a major turning point in making console gaming temporary and disposable, and it'll only get worse.

Elessar

Neo Member
Anybody running the iOS 9 beta able to tell us if it breaks these titles?

Cuz if not this is pretty much voluntary.

Just tried Metal Gear Solid Touch. It works.

I think the reason for this purge is more like, "IF these apps breaks in the future, we don't wanna spend money fixing it. So lets get rid of all potential problem now."

Top Bottom