• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CultOfMac:Why the new Apple TV will kill your Xbox or Playstation(hint:Motion ctrl)

ekim

http://www.cultofmac.com/387000/why-the-new-apple-tv-will-kill-your-xbox-or-playstation/

apple-tv-pacman1-780x443.png

A new report gives us our best insight yet into the radically improved Apple TV expected to be launched next month, including the fact that it will ship with a motion-sensitive controller similar to the Nintendo Wiimote — but a hell of a lot sleeker. And that’s just to start.

In an exhaustive report for Techcrunch, Matthew Panzarino says Apple is about to “lay down its cards” when it comes to the future of television, and what Cupertino has planned is nothing less than a game changer.

The new device will be the first to move Apple TV beyond the “it’s just a hobby for us” category Cupertino has put it in since the set-box debuted in January 2007. The report confirms that the new Apple TV will boast a dual-core A8 processor maximized for performance. In correlation with a new TV App Store, this will allow the new Apple TV powerhouse to run apps graphically on par with last-gen consoles like the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

It sounds like the new Apple TV is shaping up to be a killer gaming console. Can it take over console gaming the same way the iPhone and iPad dominated mobile gaming? Only time will tell

lol

Takao

Banned
I swear it seems like every single year there are rumours about a game-focused Apple TV and every single year they never come true.

L~A

"Cult of Company Name" believes Company Name will take over the world.

Yeah, right.

Also, new Apple TV won't kill anything. We're still waiting on that Amazon Fire TV to do any killing.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
So Xbox 360/PS3 in terms of performance. So how is gonna kill my PS4?? Title is stupid.

I am interested in an Apple home console for games. They could make something amazing but this Apple TV isn't gonna be it. It'll just be an extension of iPhone/iPad/Mac Apps. Apple could create a console to rival the XB1/PS4 if they wanted.

Alx

Because of the title I expected them to include a depth camera for gesture controls... why the heck did they buy Primesense if they don't do anything with them ?

fedexpeon

Banned
Motion+PS3 graphic lol...
Tongue in cheek with the word cult...then again, there are people that would rather be in debt to buy a marginal upgrade for a bad functional one-button phone.

It's 2009. My time machine works!!!!!!!!!

Fuck off with this crap. Doesn't matter if its got two 980s in there, if its all freemium games and a controller with no buttons it will be shit.

But hey, Candy Crush on your TV!!!!!!!!!

Skux

Even if it's just used as a TV remote, it still won't beat buttons. Imagine how janky it would be trying to scan across a TV episode.

oti

Banned
But you guys the new Infinity Blade on that thing will kill Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft you guys.

Jonnax

So being able to play pacman with PS3/360 tech is a system killer? Thats a weird thing to say.

Well of you don't really play console games then mobile phone games are probably mostly what you're aware of.

And PS3/360 might in their opinion be 'good enough' just like a 720p smartphone screen.

ISee

Just imagine, in the near future you can play all your favorite EA mobile games like Dungeon Keeper on your TV with touch like controls. Please be excited.

In general the idea to use motion controls to simulate touch for 'apps on TV' isn't too bad, but for gaming we are in sort of a been there done that time.

Alx

And PS3/360 might in their opinion be 'good enough' just like a 720p smartphone screen.

I can agree with that at least. I've played on 360 most of the week-end, and had as much fun as on the current gen. I even had several "wow, that's pretty !" moments.

loddite

Neo Member
Ignoring the article's hyperbole for a moment: who is this console for? It costs about as much as a ps3 does nowadays, and it has a smaller library and can do less things. It's not a budget console like the OUYA, and its tech is not on par with the latest stuff.

ekim

Ignoring the article's hyperbole for a moment: who is this console for? It costs about as much as a ps3 does nowadays, and it has a smaller library and can do less things. It's not a budget console like the OUYA, and its tech is not on par with the latest stuff.

Casuals. I can see them supporting iPad games now running on the TV. The controller is said to have a touchpad so in theory that should be possible. That would make the library rather big. You could play some DS ports on this thing on your TV. Hooray?

spekkeh

Banned
Well none of this stuff has stopped apple from selling gazillions before.

I swear i am reading "graphics on par with 360/ps3" for over half a decade now whenever an apple processor is mentioned by "tech" media.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

It seems to me that it's just a newer Apple TV that happens to have some gaming features, I doubt the gaming angle is the main focus. The Apple TV has been in desperate need of an update for years (the latest one is essentially a 4s in a box), this will sell really well.

I swear i am reading "graphics on par with 360/ps3" for over half a decade now whenever an apple processor is mentioned by "tech" media.

Because despite impressive tech demos under tech demo conditions for the past five years with each new piece of mobile hardware, actually gaming performance has only now been able to put games out on the level of those consoles.

It'll be interesting to see how some of the games being ported to Nvidia's microconsole, like Borderlands: The Pre-sequel, turn out.

Anybody who would even me remotely interested in this, is already content playing on their mobile phones.

The current console market would have absolutely no interest.

Danneee

Will it have its own app store? That would be my only reason for buying one. If not I don't see a reason to upgrade from my atv3.

I swear it seems like every single year there are rumours about a game-focused Apple TV and every single year they never come true.

I swear it seems like every single year before E3 there are rumours about Shenmue 3 and every single year they never come true

never say never ;)

So Xbox 360/PS3 in terms of performance. So how is gonna kill my PS4?? Title is stupid.

I am interested in an Apple home console for games. They could make something amazing but this Apple TV isn't gonna be it. It'll just be an extension of iPhone/iPad/Mac Apps. Apple could create a console to rival the XB1/PS4 if they wanted.

Whoa whoa whoa hold on, wait.

What if, WHAT IF, Apple comes in and like, BUYS Sony. Then instead of Xbox vs Playstation we'll have Microsoft vs Apple. It's like, PC vs Mac all over again! Or Windows Phone vs iPhone!! Oh shyt just got real, got REAL man.

Seriously though, we all know this thing, even if it releases with its wiiimote (the third 'i' being for 'iOS') and games, will do absolutely nothing to the home gaming console market.

Cult tag me if I'm wrong.

Top Bottom