• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway Unfolded Review Thread

Jigorath

Banned
Slant - 10

If Tearaway were a diamond in the rough world of Vita gaming before, it's an exceedingly polished masterpiece on the PS4.

God is a Geek - 10

This is a new high bar for remaking games. From now on, Tearaway sits in a category all of its own.

NZGamer - 9.4

I never wanted a sequel to Tearaway, nor did I want a remaster. What we've got with Unfolded is something that's somewhere in the middle, and somehow achieves more than a typical sequel or remaster ever could. It's a fresh take on the same ideas that made Tearaway so good, and even if the different hardware means it doesn't capture that feeling of "holding a world in your hand" as well as the Vita game, Unfolded is still a must-play for anyone with a PS4, regardless of whether or not you've played the original.

TrustedReviews - 9

We didn’t think it was possible, but Tearaway Unfolded has surpassed the original PS Vita version. It’s story is longer, more expansive and the papercraft even more impressive. It manages to celebrate the PS4 and the DualShock 4 in its gameplay too, making the overall game package completely appealing and utterly adorable.

PS Nation - 9

What we’re left with though is one of the most unique titles on the PlayStation 4. This is a really long game with a lot to find, making replays a must and at $40 it’s an absolute steal. Even with the occasional control issues, this is one game that everyone needs in their collection.

Playstation Lifestyle -9

These small issues can easily be ignored when it comes to appreciating just how impressive of a project Tearaway Unfolded is. What could have been a simple cash-in HD port of the handheld title was instead lovingly (paper)crafted by the developers into a vastly improved, dedicated PS4 platformer. Newcomers are getting a great Media Molecule title and a chance to experience one of the Vita’s best games (albeit in a superior form), and those who played Tearaway previously are getting something that is so updated and expanded it feels like a completely different game altogether.

CG Magazine - 9

Even more worthy of your attention than it was on PS Vita, so do yourself a favor and give this game the love that it deserves.
PushSquare - 9

Tearaway Unfolded is so imaginitive that you'll feel yourself wanting to applaud it at points. An occasionally clunky camera and some narrative issues do threaten to screw up this paper-based platformer, but the quirky controls and sheer variety of the gameplay will keep a smile glued to your face. Pitch-perfect presentation and a well-executed conclusion ensure that this remixed release is in tip-top shape, while the sheer wealth of collectibles give it value long after the credits roll.

Atomix - 88

Tearaway Unfolded is not just a port of the Vita game on PS4, is a completely re-imagined experience for the home console and the capabilities of its controller. It looks pretty good on PS4 with slight problems in its camera. The Media Molecule’s game deserves be played by all PlayStation Fans.
IGN Spain - 8.3

Not only a good port, but a great exclusive game that stands out for its staging and colorful original visuals.

HobbyConsoles - 82

One of the best games on PS Vita transformed into a game that takes a great profit from Dual Shock 4 and adds some new areas and features. Iota has no rival as a postman.

Gameblog.FR - 8

Tearaway Unfolded takes all the good things from the PS Vita Version to make them bigger and better on PS4. Your Dual Shock controller will be your first ally in this superb and refreshing adventure.
DigitalChumps - 8

Surrounded by a weapons-grade aura of jubilation, Tearaway Unfolded rejects traditional applications of skepticism. Criticism just evaporates under tidal waves of color and personality, positive themes and excessive joy, and the heart-melting sentiment of its ending.
TheSixthAxis - 8

Tearaway was a game deserving of a much greater audience than the one that it got on the PS Vita, but Unfolded goes a long way beyond simply trying to port that game across to the PS4. It reimagines many of the ways you interact with the game’s papercraft world and it expands and builds upon some of the ideas in the handheld version, yet never strays too far from what was already a wonderful experience.

GameRevolution - 4/5

Tearaway Unfolded improves upon the original by adding innovative controls, a handy companion app, augmented reality features via the PS Camera, and a plethora of new content including expended environments with new quests. With this much whimsical content, it's going to be hard to tear away from my TV.

AttackoftheFanboy - 4/5

Tearaway Unfolded takes the enjoyable platformer from the PS Vita and makes it even better on the PS4. It might lose a little bit of its luster in the transition, mostly due to the two year timespan in between, but fans of Media Molecule's gaming style will find a lot to love here.
IGN - 7.6

Tearaway Unfolded is a big and bold adaptation, but lacks some of the original's intimate charm.

Jimquisition - 7.5

Sadly, the pacing issues just grind the smiles away and unravel an otherwise elegant experience. Were it not for the dragging of the feet in later chapters, Tearaway Unfolded would be a must-have PS4 release. As it stands, it’s a damn lovely game that nonetheless doesn’t need to be clamored for.

Likable, yet not as lovable as it deserves to be.

Now rest in peace, PlayStation Vita.

We Got This Covered - 3.5/5

Tearaway Unfolded doesn't benefit from an everything but the kitchen sink approach to development, but it stands as one of the most unique video games out there and has some truly great moments.
Metacritic

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Was great on the Vita.

So glad this gem is getting a 2nd chance at life... though the reviews are lower than I expected :/ (deserves much higher than 7.6 on IGN)

Zalman

I am not super confident this will be better than the Vita version, but I would like to be proven wrong.

Blobbers

Reposting from the other thread.

God is a Geek : 10/10
Pushsquare : 9/10
Trustedreviews: 9/10
Attack of The Fanboy: 4/5
Psnation: 9/10
PSLS: 9/10

Spanish reviews:
Vandal 9/10
IGN Spain 8.3
3D Juegos 8.5

Kill3r7

Are the VITA features THAT big of a deal to IGN?

No idea but my guess is the portions where you take a photo of yourself/environment and it becomes part of the game world.

For those who never played the Vita game, do yourself a favor and check it out. It is very charming game that captures some of the best features the Vita has to offer. Heck if you don't feel like buying it a rental is definitely worth it. It's a relatively short game.

FelipeMGM

Going to cop this later in the year, I loved the Vita version. I just think the IGN score is weird, didnt they give the original a 9.3/10?

Going to cop this later in the year, I loved the Vita version. I just think the IGN score is weird, didnt they give the original a 9.3/10?

Was it the same person reviewing both times?
Plus the versions are supposed to be very different, right? And they might feel that it doesn't measure up to the existing version

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Jimquisition, 7,5/10

Sadly, the pacing issues just grind the smiles away and unravel an otherwise elegant experience. Were it not for the dragging of the feet in later chapters, Tearaway Unfolded would be a must-have PS4 release. As it stands, it’s a damn lovely game that nonetheless doesn’t need to be clamored for.

Likable, yet not as lovable as it deserves to be.

Now rest in peace, PlayStation Vita.

edit: beaten. I will say that the pricepoint seems a bit steep for this one.

A big part of what made tearaway amazing was how you felt part of the story. If thats gone, indeed it can lose a bit of charm.

Yeah. The same reviewer did this one aswell.
I havent read why its so low compared to the vita one yet but a 7 is still good.

Hugstable

Banned

It sounds like he's more reviewing the new content as opposed to the old stuff as most of his complaints seem to stem from the new stuff (pacing problems). He mentions that some new areas boil down to basically waves and waves of scrap killing for one area and states that it feels more like a chore than anything.

Media Molecule's only good game. Excited to replay!

boo_this_man_half_baked.gif

FelipeMGM

Was it the same person reviewing both times?
Plus the versions are supposed to be very different, right? And they might feel that it doesn't measure up to the existing version

Yes, Daniel Krupa reviewed both versions. Im going to read his review now to find out why the lower score.

Hugstable

Banned
Jimquisition, 7,5/10

edit: beaten. I will say that the pricepoint seems a bit steep for this one.

Hmm so it does seem like the newer content isn't as good as what the base game was. Oh well, the base game is still one hell of an amazing game.

Yes, Daniel Krupa reviewed both versions. Im going to read his review now to find out why the lower score.

Pretty much the same problem Sterling had with the game, new areas have pacing problems

Schryver

Might buy this on release but I'm trying to not buy anything new except Uncharted Collection. Actually doing decent on my backlog so far this year.

Wil348

Currently an 84 on Metacritic. Lower than expected but certainly not bad, given that it has some significant changes, it could have been much worse. I'm excited for next Tuesday. :)

FelipeMGM

Hmm so it does seem like the newer content isn't as good as what the base game was. Oh well, the base game is still one hell of an amazing game.

Pretty much the same problem Sterling had with the game, new areas have pacing problems

I see why they would focus on new content there. Well, no problem for me, still buying this.

Yeah. The same reviewer did this one aswell.
I havent read why its so low compared to the vita one yet but a 7 is still good.

Yeah, a 7.6 is a good score

Hugstable

Banned
I see why they would focus on new content there. Well, no problem for me, still buying this.

Yeah, a 7.6 is a good score

Yup same here, I was a huuuuuuge fan of the original, so I'm definitely getting this day 1! And yes 7.6 is still a good score

kiguel182

I didn't even know this was coming out this soon. Sony really needs to improve the marketing for some of their games.

Baliis

Glad to see it reviewing well, didn't the vita version not review particularly well? Still my favorite game of all time though, so looking forward to the new one.

Top Bottom