• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT7 Developer Polyphony Goes on Hiring Spree

Cyborg

Polyphony Digital has been hard at work on Gran Turismo 7, and looks like the studio is pushing on the gas of development, going on a veritable hiring spree in search of new talent.

The studio posted opportunity ads for thirteen new positions, including AI Engineer, Online Engineer, Graphics Engineer, Game Engine Development Engineers, Game Script Engineers, Sound Development Engineer, Data Engineer, Test Build Engineer, Pipeline Tool Development Engineer, Mobile Application Engineer, In-House Tool Development Engineer, Vehicle Simulation Development Engineer and Physics Engine Development Engineer.
We can also glimpse a few interesting facts from the specific ads themselves:

• - Polyphony wants to improve the situational awareness of AI drivers, and their reactions to the ever-changing conditions of the tracks, giving there a more human-like behavior.
    - Implementing specific regulations for racing series like GT, rally and NASCAR is mentioned, also for events and “mission races.”
    - Polyphony plans to implement a tool to render audio based on 3D space infomation.
    - The studio plans to implement a companion app on mobile that can interact with the series on PlayStation via the network.
    -The studio is collaborating with production sites around the world, and needs to develop communication tools to make the process smoother.
    - The use of GPU compute for physics is mentioned.

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/recruitment/index.html

GHG

This game is miles off isn't it...

No way GT7 comes out next year if they are only now hiring for key positions like this.

GnawtyDog

Banned

No way GT7 comes out next year if they are only now hiring for key positions like this.

Fall 2016 is not really something out of the picture. 1 year + if it's a November release. Lets say a Sept/Oct release to avoid multiplats - still 1 year.

Loris146

Polyphony Digital has been hard at work on Gran Turismo 7, and looks like the studio is pushing on the gas of development, going on a veritable hiring spree in search of new talent.

The studio posted opportunity ads for thirteen new positions, including AI Engineer, Online Engineer, Graphics Engineer, Game Engine Development Engineers, Game Script Engineers, Sound Development Engineer, Data Engineer, Test Build Engineer, Pipeline Tool Development Engineer, Mobile Application Engineer, In-House Tool Development Engineer, Vehicle Simulation Development Engineer and Physics Engine Development Engineer.
We can also glimpse a few interesting facts from the specific ads themselves:

• - Polyphony wants to improve the situational awareness of AI drivers, and their reactions to the ever-changing conditions of the tracks, giving there a more human-like behavior.
    - Implementing specific regulations for racing series like GT, rally and NASCAR is mentioned, also for events and “mission races.”
    - Polyphony plans to implement a tool to render audio based on 3D space infomation.
    - The studio plans to implement a companion app on mobile that can interact with the series on PlayStation via the network.
    -The studio is collaborating with production sites around the world, and needs to develop communication tools to make the process smoother.
    - The use of GPU compute for physics is mentioned.

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/recruitment/index.html

I'm glad they are aware of this problem.

Mikey Jr.

Serious question, how does turn 10 get 2 forza games, and 2 offshoot games (probably 3) out before poly gets 1 game out?

Is poly just really really slow? Or are the gt games that much more robust/better?

GnawtyDog

Banned
Serious question, how does turn 10 get 2 forza games, and 2 offshoot games (probably 3) out before poly gets 1 game out?

Is poly just really really slow? Or are the gt games that much more robust/better?

Staff count + more content in sheer numbers? I think T10 is twice as big.

Cyborg

I asked the same question back in the PS3 era.

bombshell

The last Gran Turismo was out later than the last Forza Motorsport. Just FYI.

FH is made by Playground not T10. Furthermore T10 are twice the size of PD and outsource.

Most important.

Yeah, I wonder what sites they are collaborating with and in what aspects.

Mahonay

Banned
Man this is a ways out then. I imagine throwing out things like those left over PS2 assets and starting fresh on everything is going to make this a long dev cycle.

oldmario

there's like 2-3 dev teams working on the games, i think turn10 do regular and sumo do the spin off, the GT games usually have more cars too i think

nOoblet16

PD has lower staff count plus GT games have bigger scope. Also the offshoots were by different developers.

Toro

Banned

Turn 10 is more than twice as big. And btw. Turn 10 didn't develop Forza Horizon.
(And still, GT is way the bigger franchise and game.)

bombshell

Wow, no way this is coming in 2016 with this info.

Why?

Just 2 days ago, the same banned site that OP is "sourcing" reported that Naughty Dog just hired The Order's Environment and Lighting Artists for Uncharted 4.

Studios hire developers all the time.

The game hasn't even been announced, nor does anyone know what state it's actually in, yet people are confident that it can't come out next year. Absolutely amazing.

Edit: Also, these job listings are from July.

GHG

Fall 2016 is not really something out of the picture. 1 year + if it's a November release. Lets say a Sept/Oct release to avoid multiplats - still 1 year.

Doubt it. Even in the best case scenario with these positions (finding quality people who are immediately available and on the ground in Japan) then there is only roughly 12 months to go before the game goes gold.

Different approaches to development. One I more structured and conservative while the other is more focused on being creative/experimental while giving employees more freedom.

ReBurn

Gold Member

Turn 10 just likes us more.

truth411

To be honest, considering how packed 2016 game lineup is, I don't want GT7 in 2016. 2017 would be perfect, it also gives them more development time, remember this studio is almost half the size of Turn 10

I was hoping for 2016 but 2017 sounds more plausible now...

If we don't get any GT7 information this year I'm guessing 2017 then.

Bedlam

Some time ago I read that T10 is outsourcing a lot more busywork than PD (car models etc.). Don't know if it's true but it would fit the different work cultures in the respective countries.

I believe they've already said there willl be standard and premium models again.
Source?

If so, the game is dead to me already. Different tiers of quality in one game is so weird.

tilomite!

Why?

Just 2 days ago, the same banned site that OP is "sourcing" reported that Naughty Dog just hired The Order's Environment and Lighting Artists for Uncharted 4.

Studios hire developers all the time.

I don't speak Japanese, but the source appears to be Polyphony themeselves. And they have a history of long development times. I hope I'm wrong, but 2016 doesn't look probable to me.

Mohonky

Some time ago I read that T10 is outsourcing a lot more busywork than PD (car models etc.). Don't know if it's true but it would fit the different work cultures in the respective countries.

Source?

If so, the game is dead to me already. Different tiers of quality in one game is so weird.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...o-7-is-in-the-works-standard-cars-set-to-stay

https://www.gtplanet.net/no-prologue-for-gran-turismo-7-standard-cars-likely-included/

I genuinely don't understand how a software project can be financially sound and drag on as long as GT games do.

I wondered this when GT5 came out; it took forever and was a mish mash of new and recycled content from the previous generation. I'm pretty sure Yamauchi just takes the piss and uses the game as an excuse to travel the world and drive cars at this point. If I was Sony I'd have audited the studio to find out how much of the money invested is spent on crap like that vs how much goes into actual development.

With the series dropping in sales and more competition with race simulators on the console market, I don't see how they can continue going the way they are.

Dynasty

Source?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...o-7-is-in-the-works-standard-cars-set-to-stay
"I doubt that we'll be throwing away the standard cars," said Yamauchi. "Each car has its own fans. So I think we'll hang on to the archive. In the meanwhile, some of those cars we may be able to make into Premium cars as they become available - but basically we're more focussed on increasing the number of premium cars."

I don't speak Japanese, but the source appears to be Polyphony themeselves. And they have a history of long development times. I hope I'm wrong, but 2016 doesn't look probable to me.

One game took a significant amount of time. One! That's it and people act like it represents their entire development history.

I genuinely don't understand how a software project can be financially sound and drag on as long as GT games do.

I was about to say that the GT games always make up for PD's ridiculous development times by selling huge numbers, but there was that thread from a few days ago that said GT6 only sold a couple of million, which is extremely poor by GT standards. I wonder if that's going to be a wakeup call for PD.

I wish they'd follow Turn10's example and start outsourcing work. Contract some random graphic design company to turn those Standards into Premiums, for God's sake.

Top Bottom