• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games releases Infinity Blade Asset Pack for UE4 for FREE (7500 Assets!)

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/free-infinity-blade-collection-marketplace-release

Seems that Epic's decided to take the assets from the Cancelled Infinity Blade ARPG, Infinity Blade: Dungeons, and release the entire asset collection for free.
That's about $3 Million worth of Assets, according to them.

IBC-facebook-1200x630-398254359.png

Epic said:
You’re probably wondering what all is included for the production budget to amount to millions of dollars in content. It’s enough to make an awesome game! Here’s the TLDR on the 7,600 assets shipping in eight packs (all characters are compatible with our standard skeleton):

Infinity Blade: Grass Lands is the earthy citadel adorned with stone set pieces and beautiful props.
Infinity Blade: Ice Lands is the wintery fort set deep within a glacial enclave.
Infinity Blade: Fire Lands is the radiant castle interior laced with unforgiving paths, dramatic props and flowing lava.
Infinity Blade: Warriors includes loads of assets for crafting fierce heroes.
Infinity Blade: Adversaries has even more content for a making wide variety of rivals.
Infinity Blade: Effects gives you visual effects ranging from fire and smoke to lightning and magical reactions.
Infinity Blade: Sounds includes thousands of raw audio files and sound cues.
Infinity Blade: Weapons presents a vast array of melee weaponry, including never-before-seen swords and axes and also a few Infinity Blade fan favorites.

Most of the content comes from Infinity Blade: Dungeons, which we made here at Epic and chose not to release. While it was a tough decision to make back then, the content is beautifully crafted, and we are happy for you to have it for free. Use it in any Unreal Engine 4 project, no strings attached. We succeed when you succeed.

That is HUGE news for Indie developers, as they now have an entire AAA Game's worth of assets to use. Huge Kudos to Epic.

Kill me and have my son avenge my death if old.

rambis

Banned
This will be cool for a while. I remember when stuff like this used to happen in the good ole days. Its cool at first but then gets crazy repetitive.

Madness

Damn that's crazy. Can you just imagine what people will be able to create now? I wonder why they did this? Great news though.

zXe

I think it's cool from an artists perspective if you want to breakdown how those assets are made - particularly modular parts, checkout the model polycounts, texture maps etc to understand their construction. Also fun for designers/devs to throw something together/learn. But if you're serious about making a game, in my opinion it think it says more if you build your own assets personally. Reused assets from other games always feels a little cheap to me. Didn't Shadow of Mordor have assets from one of the Assassins Creed games.

th4tguy

Got to play this before it was canceled. It was looking really good. The elements impossible studios were adding was really exciting. I think in the end, the game combat just wasnt there and the touch controls really limited what could be done about it.

Luigiv

Jim Sterling post if you're okay!

Lol. Well we should be ok if the assets can't be used in Unity. I don't think any asset flippers haven't figured out how to use UE4 yet.
Who am I kidding, These assets will be all over steam in a couple of months.

Dio

Banned
Can this assets be used on Unity or exported to Maya for studying?

They should be able to. It really depends, since UE4 uses a different axis than Unity - the X Y Z orientation is different in Unreal than it is in Unity, so you may get a model that's on its side. That shouldn't be hard to fix, though.

Incredible!

Someone made a video of some of the content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxQEYsA_gWc&feature=youtu.be

Wow. That's incredible.

This makes me want to jump in and start creating shit. Learning game design stuff is so much easier when you can use great looking assets that aren't distracting. It lets you focus on your programming and code more than the art.

These obviously will also be used in games, too. Good shit.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wow that's a great move!
Are there limitiations? Can they be used outside the UE4 without license issues?

ppor

I think it's cool from an artists perspective if you want to breakdown how those assets are made - particularly modular parts, checkout the model polycounts, texture maps etc to understand their construction. Also fun for designers/devs to throw something together/learn. But if you're serious about making a game, in my opinion it think it says more if you build your own assets personally. Reused assets from other games always feels a little cheap to me. Didn't Shadow of Mordor have assets from one of the Assassins Creed games.

Since the game was canceled, it's not like the assets were really ever "reused"

LAA

Ah yeah saw this yesterday. Pretty awesome news for developers, but makes me said for IB I suppose. Guess this means Epic aren't going back to it. Absolutely loved that game.

Maybe this will mean someone can make IB for android now? Ha ha

FyreWulff

Can this assets be used on Unity or exported to Maya for studying?

You can probably port them to other engines, but the only way you can use them in a released project is to use them with Unreal, which means Epic makes their money back on the assets when you pay royalties, anyway.

Razorback

I wouldn't be counting on great games being made with this. Great games are made by passionate devs. They want to make their own stuff.

It's probably great for prototyping.

Can see it now, brand new company releases 'Infinity Dungeon Blades'. $1.19, showing a high quality environment and model in the screenshot. You load the 'game' and can move the character around in a circle in a closed room and nothing else.

Does this cancelled Infinity Blade game mean that we'll finally get a Shadow Complex 2?

Chair's most recent job posting hints they are probably trying something different - this sounds vague, but does not seem to be a "Metroidvania" type game,

k4qPVMr.png

Dio

Banned
$3M for that? Jesus

Asset creation takes time and money. It costs somewhere around 1 million dollars per Street Fighter character, and that's one single model, rigged and iterated upon. For 7,500 smaller models and particle systems, some of which are character models that also need to be rigged and some of which are just background scenery, I have zero problem believing I'm looking at 3 million dollars. I actually think that at another company that isn't Epic Games, which houses a ton of really talented and efficient people, this would be an even bigger amount of money spent to get assets like these.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Incredible! Very generous (and smart) move on Epic's part.

As has been mentioned by others, this sort of thing is perfect for getting prototypes rolling. Really excited to start toying with this stuff.

Asset creation takes time and money. It costs somewhere around 1 million dollars per Street Fighter character, and that's one single model, rigged and iterated upon. For 7,500 smaller models and particle systems, some of which are character models that also need to be rigged and some of which are just background scenery, I have zero problem believing I'm looking at 3 million dollars. I actually think that at another company that isn't Epic Games, which houses a ton of really talented and efficient people, this would be an even bigger amount of money spent to get assets like these.

I find that highly hard to believe considering, I've seen better characters for other fighting games created for far less money. If Capcom is really paying that amount of money for just one character that's some serious mismanagement going on.

Dio

Banned
I find that highly hard to believe considering, I've seen better characters for other fighting games created for far less money. If Capcom is really paying that amount of money for just one character that's some serious mismanagement going on.

For companies like Lab Zero, where they used 150,000 dollars for a single DLC character, that's actually quite low for what they did - they were living off ramen and working their asses off to make these titles, taking pay cuts and the like to develop the game. The other characters cost about 250,000 dollars to develop each.

For a larger company like Capcom which has a much larger staff and is making a much higher budget title than Skullgirls, I don't see why 1 million is such a ridiculous number.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-little-fighting-game-that-could/1100-4587/
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/2...-each-to-create-heres-why-squigly-is-cheaper/

They break down costs of Squigly here. As far as a single character cost for SF4, the Lab Zero CEO was the one to bring up the number:

Siliconera got in touch with Lab Zero CEO, Peter Bartholow, to ask if he had any idea how much characters for other fighting games cost to develop on average.

Costs differ depending on the developer, and whether the game is 2D or 3D, Bartholow replied, but added: “We’ve heard rumors that Street Fighter IV characters cost more than $1M each.”

He elaborated: “For comparison, though, the core Skullgirls characters cost between $200-250k to create, and we have it on pretty good authority that is actually quite cheap, especially for the amount of animation we put into our characters. Seth Killian isn’t with Capcom any more, but if you reach out to him he should confirm that $150k (especially when you consider that 2/5 of that cost is bureaucratic) is insanely cheap.”

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Chair's most recent job posting hints they are probably trying something different - this sounds vague, but does not seem to be a "Metroidvania" type game,

k4qPVMr.png

As far as I can tell they're working on some kind of f2p mobile (and maybe other platforms) title with all the sorts of things you'd expect, plus presumably more core oriented gameplay given who they are.

Their twitter also implied that they're too busy to work on Shadow Complex currently.

PBalfredo

Fantastic. I've been teaching myself to use UE4, but been mostly limited to making BSP whitebox levels due to the lack of available assets. Now I can start putting together something that actually resembles a game. Thanks Epic!

$3M for that? Jesus

Are we really going to go down the same path of the Skullgirls Indiegogo thread shitshow again, only now concerning Epic and Capcom? Ignorant armchair game development knows no limits.

Top Bottom