• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I stopped a kid from getting GTA V

TheDanger

Banned
So I was in the game section in a local store today browsing through (I do this from time to time even though I know all the games anyway for some reason), then this kid and his mum come to the Playstation games and the kid wants GTA V. Then she says it says 18 on the box bla bla, then the kid was going on about how it's just about driving and he had almost convinced her when she suddenly noticed me and asked if this game is alright for an 8 year old.

I didn't know what to do, I saw it in the kid's eyes how much he wanted it, but then I thought about GTA V and how perfectly it can be used as a "murder innocent helpless people simulator" so I told his Mum I'm sorry for the kid, but you can shoot innocent pedestrians and she immediately said no. The kid got teary eyes I felt really bad for it (8 year old me would have hated me with the passion of a thousand burning swords), but I think I did the right thing. Then again I played Vice City at that age too and I'm not a sociopath, granted it didn't look nowhere near as realistic, but I still killed thousands of pedestrians and cops.

What would you have done? If she didn't ask me I probably wouldn't have said anything.

Blablurn

Maybe this kid has no friends at home.

Maybe all his online friends are playing GTA Online

Maybe he just wanted to have more contact with them

But then you came around

Would have told her I didn't care, it ain't my kid.

Edit: Unless you're an employee at a game store or something. Then yeah, I would have told her what it was. Don't the games have advisory warnings for that stuff on the back anyway?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
That sneaky little 8 year old, "all about driving". God damn.

Mom should look at the back of the box a little more though as well.

Good on you, OP.

Sephzilla

I would have done the same thing you did, OP. Though I would have felt like a massive hypocrite because I played a lot of 18/older games when I was too young too.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It is not a game for his age group, but unless you worked for the store I see no reason why you should step up to inform the guardian of the contents of the game.

Edit: overlookrd the part where she asked you for advice. Sorry!

Alienous

I wouldn't mislead a parent who is trying to do a good parenting job regarding something they are personally uninformed about.

So I'd say you did the right thing.

Maffis

You did good OP. TBH, I feel that if it was a real punishable law I would enjoy online games more. So many shitty people and from my experience most are under age.

oti

Banned
You didn't lie.
You didn't decide whether the kid could play the game or not.
You did the right thing.

Honestly idk what I would've done.. I grew up with loaded and doom.. Those games were pretty graphic.

I still think cod is worse gta looks so cartoonish imo.

platocplx

I would have done the same thing. Its rated that for a reason. Kids need to have at least some of their innocence intact.

I mean, it's not like you did anything underhanded. She asked you a question and you answered it honestly. In the end it was her decision regardless.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i would have hated you so much

resized_obi-wan-the-chosen-one-meme-generator-you-were-the-chosen-one-i-trusted-you-4d4e12.jpg

way to go and ruin this kids childhood.
i was watching aliens and it when i was 10 years old.

you should feel bad.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Maybe this kid has no friends at home.

Maybe all his online friends are playing GTA Online

Maybe he just wanted to have more contact with them

But then you came around

Fuck that noise. It's a 18 certificate game and not suitable for a young child.

Some people. SMH.

What would you have done? If she didn't ask me I probably wouldn't have said anything.

Pointed out the ESRB rating and content descriptors: Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content, Use of Drugs and Alcohol.

I would've told her that the game is fine for him, and then me and the kid would've given each other a nod and thumbs up as he walked towards the cashier.

Bros before
moms

So I was in the game section in a local store today browsing through (I do this from time to time even though I know all the games anyway for some reason), then this kid and his mum come to the Playstation games and the kid wants GTA V. Then she says it says 18 on the box bla bla, then the kid was going on about how it's just about driving and he had almost convinced her when she suddenly noticed me and asked if this game is alright for an 8 year old.

I didn't know what to do, I saw it in the kid's eyes how much he wanted it, but then I thought about GTA V and how perfectly it can be used as a "murder innocent helpless people simulator" so I told his Mum I'm sorry for the kid, but you can shoot innocent pedestrians and she immediately said no. The kid got teary eyes I felt really bad for it (8 year old me would have hated me with the passion of a thousand burning swords), but I think I did the right thing. Then again I played Vice City at that age too and I'm not a sociopath, granted it didn't look nowhere near as realistic, but I still killed thousands of pedestrians and cops.

That's like asking if an R-rated movie is appropriate for an 8 year old.

Top Bottom