• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Director’s Cut Launches on October 13th

Loudninja

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp6jziT8RZ4

For those of you who haven’t heard of Wasteland 2, it’s a role-playing game where you build a squad of Desert Rangers in post-apocalyptic Arizona and California. We combined complex character building, an extremely reactive storyline and game world, and tactical, explosive turn-based combat to give you a deep, post-apocalyptic RPG experience.

Translating that PC-centric experience to consoles was a challenge with some people not believing we could take such a large and complex game to PS4, but we did it! We have always felt that it’s our mission to bring the best game possible for each platform without compromising. That means we took Wasteland 2 and looked at it as if it we were making a brand new game for consoles right from the start.

One of the biggest challenges was controls and user interface. Obviously we didn’t want to lose any of Wasteland 2’s complexity, so we knew we had to totally rework the game to play well on consoles. Instead of simply trying to port the controls over, we looked at it as if we were starting from the ground up. This also involved studying some other great turn-based games like XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Instead of a point-and-click interface as we did on PC, we switched to contextual and radial menus that let you quickly select actions and gave you the ability to change between combat targets using the shoulder buttons. The result is that playing Wasteland 2 on a controller is a faster and smoother experience.
Of course, there are tons of changes we made to improve Wasteland 2 on PS4 as well. We did a complete graphics overhaul by moving to the Unity 5 game engine, including its new physically-based rendering system. That meant totally redoing all our character models, environments, and lighting to take proper advantage of next-generation hardware.

Some of the changes we made were more on the gameplay side. Our fans kept asking, so we delivered. Our character system got a big boost with Perks and Quirks. Quirks let you specify new personality traits that will have both advantages and disadvantages when you create your characters, and Perks let you pick special bonuses and new abilities as you level up throughout the game. On top of that, we added Precision Strikes which let you do targeted attacks on your enemies, crippling them and increasing your tactical options in fights to create some really chaotic combat encounters.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/09/21/wasteland-2-directors-cut-launches-on-ps4-october-13th/

Dont mind if I do-
tumblr_mg46kxiXQP1ribuu7o1_400.gif

Podge293

so i have this game on PC, would it be better just waiting till this update rolls out to the PC or should i fire away at the game now?

Unai

so i have this game on PC, would it be better just waiting till this update rolls out to the PC or should i fire away at the game now?

It's better to wait since it's so close anyway and we get the update for free. Saves won't be compatible I think.

Serra

Been waiting for this to start a playthrough. I could have sworn we had a thread for this already tho

Donos

So, any previews out how this controls on PS4? Looking really forward to this , Divinity Original Sin and hopefully Pillars of Eternity (PS4) sometime.

Honome

I never played it but definitely interested in a turn-based rpg for my PS4. Anyone know how much it will cost?

NoWayOut

Never played the PC version, but I remember from reviews and let's play that most of the dialogs and text was not voiced over. Do we know if that will change on the PS4 version, like Larian did with DOS Enhanced Edition?

Having to read ton of dialogs on a TV would be a deal breaker for me.

I waited to finish this because I wanted it to get a few patches, and that turned into waiting for the director's cut. :p What I played was fun though, I can't wait to jump in to it for real.

Edit: and yeah, that cover art is horribad.

I almost bought this on PC yesterday. Will wait for the PS4 version now. I can remove it from my Steam wanted list now.

Thanks for sharing!

I almost bought this on PC yesterday. Will wait for the PS4 version now. I can remove it from my Steam wanted list now.

Thanks for sharing!

I remember reading that the PC version will get an update to add the new Directors Cut content, improvements etc. No matter how good they get the controls on PS4, I prefer mouse and keyboard for this type of game.

Thanks for sharing!

You should still buy the PC version. It will have both options of m/kb and controller controls. Also, it's a free update if you own the original version. M/KB works much better for this type of game though.

You should still buy the PC version. It will have both options of m/kb and controller controls. Also, it's a free update if you own the original version. M/KB works much better for this type of game though.
Yeah, you will get the same version on PC for (presumably) less money, and it will control better.

pastrami

Exciting to see crpgs making their way to consoles these days. Hope this becomes a trend.

Now I just need some 4x games to make the jump.

Owzers

What the fuck is this cover inXile?

Why not just use this?

cover definitely looks budget-gamey. I didn't know it was $40, if the ps4 version is good i'll probably buy it instead of renting it, I skipped the pc version much like Divinity because my laptop is bad and i don't like playing on it anyways but both those games looked fun.

Alastor3

Never played the PC version, but I remember from reviews and let's play that most of the dialogs and text was not voiced over. Do we know if that will change on the PS4 version, like Larian did with DOS Enhanced Edition?

Having to read ton of dialogs on a TV would be a deal breaker for me.

I think they added some voice but not that much, not like Larian (which I really don't know how they manage to get all those voice actor to do that especially since the game is out for a year now, they should keep their money for other project, but hey, im not complaining )

I helped Kickstart the PC version but I will probably end up finally playing it on the PS4. I really want to support more of this type of game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm excited to see how this thing turns out. First version of the game seemed pretty cool, but I passed after hearing about how dull the combat was. Hopefully, this delivers on that potential.

Combat was fine, but the map design wasn't great. Way too much traversal between events (and I don't mean the over-map stuff).

They had to say x-com didn't they. The trailer got me interested. I want more turn based, modern or future RPGs so I have to support.

Damn there are too many games coming out this year

I have high hopes for the revamped gameplay, it just needs a little something to be so much more than OG Wasteland 2 is. The story and writing of the original could only bring it so far when the fundamentals were so lacking.

Hopefully they also put more effort into QA for release, because Wasteland 2 really needed it the first time around.
Combat was fine, but the map design wasn't great. Way too much traversal between events (and I don't mean the over-map stuff).

The encounters themselves were the problem, further compounded by the skeletal combat engine and samey battlefields. Everything boiled down to find cover > whittle enemy down until victory occurs, with very little variation in turn-to-turn decisionmaking. There wasn't a feeling of risk so much as one of monotony. It gets even worse once assault rifles (and to a lesser extent, sniper rifles) become the clear and obvious choice as far as offense is concerned.

And, yeah, there were some divergent combat encounters, but they were very rare in the grand scheme of things.

Exciting to see crpgs making their way to consoles these days. Hope this becomes a trend.

Now I just need some 4x games to make the jump.

I'm very curious to see how well this and Divinity sell on consoles. Good sales might bring turn-based games back into the mainstream.

Well then, releasing on my birthday.

So, having not followed this game much, could you confirm this as being a must buy for a fan of the original Fallout games (haven't played the original Wasteland)?

Sweet, glad the date isn't moving. It went TBA on my amazon order for a bit, then back to the 13th, so I wasn't sure what was happening.

God there's so much to play this fall.

batfax

Well then, releasing on my birthday.

So, having not followed this game much, could you confirm this as being a must buy for a fan of the original Fallout games (haven't played the original Wasteland)?

As a fan of the original Fallouts it definitely scratched an itch the new games haven't been able to. It wasn't exactly the same or anything, but it was definitely a great experience.

As a fan of the original Fallouts it definitely scratched an itch the new games haven't been able to. It wasn't exactly the same or anything, but it was definitely a great experience.

Thanks! I guess I'll buy this depending on the amount of other games I'm invested at the time.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Glad to see this game getting some re-hype. It kinda landed with a thud when it launched. I beat the game at around 80 hours, and it was a little janky, although I loved it. Hopefully it gets a strong reception this time around.

shmoglish

Great idea to throw out all the RPGs in the last three months of the year^^. May buy this game and hope I can finish it till Fallout releases. The setting may be similar, but the price is fair (grrr divinity, why 60 bucks ;_;) and I am sure the game is great.

tmespe

Not sure about the interface. Looks a little small and difficult to read. Wish they showed more of it in the trailer.

Top Bottom