• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Wii U" section of Wal-Mart Changed to "Nintendo"?

Was in my local Wal-Mart and noticed that the section that was formerly under a Wii U banner is now all under a red-lit Nintendo banner.

Maybe I'm just now realizing it, and its always been there? Not sure about other stores yet. Maybe this didnt deserve a thread as its not really a big deal, but meh.

It did spark more NX thoughts to my mind.

I actually noticed the same last week. My wife was in Walmart to buy some art supplies and I wandered over to electronics as I tend to do. Didnt make anything of it at the time but your post jogged my memory.

I saw something on reddit about Target doing the same thing, probably just reshuffling/reorganizing shelf space before the big holiday season, having separate Wii U and 3DS section doesn't really make sense.

Probably to put 3DS and Wii U in the same section. They most likely want to give as little shelf space for Wii U games as possible. They only need the 1st party games and some shovelware on there.

jholmes

I saw something on reddit about Target doing the same thing, probably just reshuffling/reorganizing shelf space before the big holiday season, having separate Wii U and 3DS section doesn't really make sense.

This and the fact that there will be new hardware coming, so why not future-proof it. Plus between selling stuff like the 2DS and the New 3DS and maybe some old Wii U stuff and amiibos which are neither, why not give it a common label?

Sometimes a sign is just a sign, guys.

This is a new marketing initiative for Nintendo. Its hitting all across retail.

New coloring is red instead of blue and labeled simply Nintendo instead of Wii U / 3DS

Make of that what you will

Neoxon

Wait, the red Nintendo logo? Is Nintendo returning to the old version of their logo?

That being said, they're likely preparing for the holiday season. This decision makes sense when you consider that Nintendo is slowing down support for the Wii U & the 3DS with the coming of the NX Platform. The unification of the two existing platforms should also be a signal of what's to come for Nintendo's dedicated gaming platform efforts.

Bsigg12

This is a new marketing initiative for Nintendo. Its hitting all across retail.

New coloring is red instead of blue and labeled simply Nintendo instead of Wii U / 3DS

Make of that what you will

Wii U cases will still have the blue color but the dominant color will be the Nintendo red. Big push to the new color everywhere. I really like everything I've seen of it.

Make it happen Nintendo, leave the baggage behind, rising like a phoenix from the ashes

Nintendo-Logo.svg

Wii U cases will still have the blue color but the dominant color will be the Nintendo red. Big push to the new color everywhere. In really like everything I've seen of it.

Yep. Whats next though I believe will follow the "new" red template instead of Wii Us blue

Bass260

It's to consolidate the entire brand under "Nintendo" again instead of Wii or DS. I expect similar things across all their multi-media projects and licensing opportunities. It's a good way to remind people of the Nintendo brand.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
This has been the case for a while now near me. Dunno about the logo, but Nintendo stuff is stuffed into a corner in Walmarts, Targets, and even Best Buys around here. Not near the amount of space Xbox and PS get for their stuff.

inner-G

Banned
It's more accurate since they still have full-price copies of Flingsmash and Other M in the case at my local store.

Kriken

It'd be pretty silly to have a NINTENDO section and then a 3DS section

In hindsight it was a dumb question, I was thinking of how there were two sections for Xbox (360 and One) at a Walmart I was at a while ago. (Different sides of the aisle, weird setup)

Vice

Yup, the former Wii U section is now filled with more Skylanders/Infinity/Amiibo stuff and has a section for Guitar Hero.

At our local Target, Nintendo is given the largest amount of shelf space. They have one section dedicated to Wii U and Wii software. Another section is dedicated to Wii peripherals, and pack in games (Cabelas, Skylanders), and another section solely dedicated to 3DS software and accessories. Thus, I think depending upon region and sell through, store shelf space varies.

jholmes

In hindsight it was a dumb question, I was thinking of how there were two sections for Xbox (360 and One) at a Walmart I was at a while ago. (Different sides of the aisle, weird setup)

To be fair the last Walmart I was in (I don't go to Walmart often) had this whole section for what they term new releases. Super Mario Maker was in there (it was release day so, yeah, pretty new) and some guy came to complain that Mad Max wasn't there (it was sold out and pretty new at the time) but a lot of the games were relatively old so it was half new releases, half a PS4/Xbone overflow section.

So yeah a Nintendo section plus a 3DS section wouldn't be that strange at that Walmart, anyway.

Vena

Sounds like rebranding away from 3DS and WiiU is starting, and the next system is going to be a Nintendo *something*.

Tanoooki

NES, SNES, and N64 were just commonly referred to as just Nintendo.

I heard people call the SNES Super Nintendo and the Nintendo 64 just N64 but Nintendo was still the primary name for the device for a lot of users especially old people like parents who made most purchasing decisions.

Maybe they're trying to bring that kind of brand recognition back?

Neoxon

Sounds like rebranding away from 3DS and WiiU is starting, and the next system is going to be a Nintendo *something*.
With Nintendo winding down on Wii U & 3DS support, this makes sense. Nintendo's likely gonna shed the Wii & DS branding next year for something new with the NX Platform.

I forgot how much I love that logo! I really hope it's about to make a comeback. It's amazing what a simple color change can do.

I like the red logo itself, but it can screw up the boxart and the title screen of the game due to color mismatch. In this regard, dark gray on light background and white on dark/colored background is much better.

Or maybe I'm still sick of Nintendo of Europe making Nintendo logo twice big in GCN/GBA days, and putting a Seal of Quality near it. It's, like, three Nintendos on one box art!

Super_Mario_Sunshine_PAL.png

Nintendo's likely gonna shed the Wii & DS branding next year for something new with the NX Platform.

Also I am VERY excited to see this. It has been a decade, and every single change in branding will surprise me in a good way.

Persona7

Banned
At our local Target, Nintendo is given the largest amount of shelf space. They have one section dedicated to Wii U and Wii software. Another section is dedicated to Wii peripherals, and pack in games (Cabelas, Skylanders), and another section solely dedicated to 3DS software and accessories. Thus, I think depending upon region and sell through, store shelf space varies.

Yes, for example all the targets in my area cut the Wii U row in half to add the amiibo display when they came out and e-shop cards/accessories. The target two cities over still has full 3DS and Wii U rows.

Top Bottom