• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: climate "not healthy" for PlayStation Vita successor

chadskin

Shocking, I know.
Don't hold your breath for a PlayStation Vita successor - so says Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios.
"That's a tough question," he replied when asked about a PlayStation Vita 2. "People have mobile phones and it's so easy to play games on smartphones," Yoshida said. "And many games on smartphones are free, or free to start.

"I myself am a huge fan of PlayStation Vita and we worked really hard on designing every aspect. Touch-based games are fun - there are many games with really good design. But having sticks and buttons make things totally different.

"So I hope, like many of you, that this culture of playing portable games continues but the climate is not healthy for now because of the huge dominance of mobile gaming."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-26-sony-climate-not-healthy-for-playstation-vita-successor

:-(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm surprised this question needed to be asked. Sony putting out PS Vita 2 would be really weird.

hamchan

I think it'll be a very long time, maybe never.

Thing is the Vita is actually a well designed system. I feel the reasons it hasn't done well aren't related to how good a handheld it actually is, which is a shame.

oti

Banned
Nintendo handheld for mass appeal, Vita for the weird Japanese and indie stuff we all love. Not that bad of a situation if you ask me.

zadig

Neo Member
It's sad, but not surprising. The Vita is my favourite handheld, playing games on the phone is just not the same as buttons make a huge difference.

Cleve

Yeah, I feel like this is the question no one needed to ask. As much as I've yet to find a mobile game I actually enjoy, I accept that it's the status of the market.

Bashtee

THE DREAM IS DEAD! I knew we wouldn't get a successor, but actually reading it hurts my feelings. The next question is:

if they stop the support, will I lose access to my big ass digital Library?

Missing "Shocking News" on the title.

THE DREAM IS DEAD! I knew we wouldn't get a successor, but actually reading it hurts my feelings. The next question is:

if they stop the support, will I lose access to my big ass digital Library?

PC backup using Content Manager is your friend, though it might get huge if you have a lot of games. My current backup is something like 150gb+ and I stopped buying Vita/PSP/PS1 games ages ago.

Bowler

the size of phablets, and 6s pluses, and Notes... just throw phone capabilities into a vita 2... best of all worlds!

I know I am in the minority :(

Acosta

Really sad, but hard to be surprised. At least vita have some years ahead of Japanese content.

The last hope for dedicated handheld is that Nintendo delivers.

Neoxon

I guess the NX Handheld won't have any competition next year. Though it's sad to see Sony leave the market. While their reason is justified, I do think that Nintendo needs some kind of competition in the dedicated gaming handheld market.

Here we go again.

The climate is harsh for a dedicated handheld gaming device aimed at 18-40 year old males. Harsh is putting it mildly.

No one said its easy. But with a constant stream of good exclusives, you can still manage to build up a decent userbase.

Acosta

Eh, the climate isnt that harsh, if you support the damn thing.

It does. Support will be even worse in the following years.

The console was well supported from the beginning, market outside of Japan said "no" in capital letters and shinning colouts.

There is nothing more Sony could realistically do in term of support to change that.

Scrawnton

With how powerful the Vita is and the type of games that are best for it, I don't think there would need to be a Vita 2, just continuing support of the current system (and a price drop of the memory cards because that is still a huge barrier).

Oemenia

Banned
Here we go again.

The climate is harsh for a dedicated handheld gaming device aimed at 18-40 year old males. Harsh is putting it mildly.
On the other hand, there's tonnes of potential on the system. Besides don't you think their screw-up in Japan should be a good indicator as to how they messed up?

Petrae

Smart (though expected) move from Sony. Dedicated handhelds are a crapshoot (at best) now, so why waste more R&D resources on another?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
No one said its easy. But with a constant stream of good exclusives, you can still manage to build up a decent userbase.
It's still just an assertion by you. One I wouldn't even put a fiver on, let alone several tens of millions.

Not unexpected but no leas tragic nevertheless. Sadly, Sony doesn't have the established handheld market share and fanbase Nintendo has to compete the mobile movement. If only they aimed exclusively for the hardcore/niche crowd and planned accordingly, maybe it could have been a success... *sigh*

The console was well supported from the beginning, market outside of Japan said "no" in capital letters and shinning colouts.

There is nothing more Sony could realistically do in term of support to change that.

It was abandonned by Sony the first year. I mean, it had basically 5 minutes presence at E3 2012 SCEA conference iirc.

Kathian

Banned
Another Vita would do even worse let's be honest. Its gotten harder in handhelds rather then levelled off and I think finally the "omg console games on the go!" has been finally put to rest.

Neoxon

If the NX is a handheld then Sony would have to be idiots or like throwing away money to release a Vita 2.
More likely than not, the NX will have multiple form factors (one of them being a handheld). It can't be a coincidence that Nintendo is slowing down both Wii U & 3DS support.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah, just add "support" and suddenly the demographic that does not exist grows to "decent." Sony doesn't have the IP or the studios to make the IP to target the shrinking demographic (both domestically and internationally) that buys dedicated handheld gaming devices. The climate is harsh and that is a very demure statement by Yoshida.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Dedicated handheld gaming has been declining for a while now. It's soon to be nothing more than a niche. (In fact it already is a niche)

For example, this year it is expected that total revenue generated from handheld gaming will account for around ~3% of total revenue generated from Video games market.

Nintendo are the only major player in handheld right now and even they're seeing a contracted market with no real Western publisher support.

Exile20

With how powerful the Vita is and the type of games that are best for it, I don't think there would need to be a Vita 2, just continuing support of the current system (and a price drop of the memory cards because that is still a huge barrier).

HAHAHHAHAHAH
Sony support the Vita?

Zalman

It's a shame to lose a player in the dedicated handheld market, but it's the only logical thing to do. It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo handles it in the upcoming years.

I would be ok with this if it weren't for the fact that I hate touch games so the iPad isn't very compelling (and the 3DS still seems underpowered, so I can't get my nice shiny graphics there).

Guymelef

The reasonable thing for Sony should be not releasing another handheld but I think at the end of the day this would be bad for PS4 in Japan as well.
PS4 is having some Japanese support thanks to "PS ecosystem" with PS3-PS4, PSV-PS4 or PS3-PSV-PS4 games.

Scrawnton

HAHAHHAHAHAH
Sony support the Vita?
I don't necessarily mean Sony, I mean games in general. Like at TGS is seems like big Japanese publishers are starting to give a dang about the system.

Also, with rumors that the NX handheld will be on par with Vita graphically, that could be the best news for Vita because it could mean 3rd party games being developed for both handhelds together. Granted, by the time NX comes out it might just be the final nail in Vita's coffin because it may outclass it.

Neoxon

I would be ok with this if it weren't for the fact that I hate touch games (and the 3DS still seems underpowered, so I can't get my nice shiny graphics there).
From the looks of how Nintendo is progressing, you may not have to worry about the 3DS for much longer.

Top Bottom