• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Yakuza 2 (2008) [PS2] - A girl without a past, a clan without a future

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
This thread marks the second in my playthrough of the entire localized Yakuza series leading up to the upcoming release of Yakuza 5 in the West. If you're interested in my reflection on the first Yakuza game, please give it a read.

With that out of the way, I'll gather my thoughts on Yakuza 2, which is almost everyone's favorite Yakuza game. Do I agree? Read on to find out!!!!1

JM9ZDzf.jpg

Story​

Unlike in my Yakuza 1 thread let's save some of the technical talk for later and get right into the story of Yakuza 2, reason being is that it's a lot better. While I still feel that many of the characters aren't being used to their fullest (Daigo Dojima!), overall the main narrative of Yakuza 2 not only makes more sense to me but also is just more gratifying overall. The love story is given more elbow room than the first game's, the villains are given more screen time, and the urgency of most of the chapters is tuned up a bit.

Ryuji Goda is an excellent foil to Kiryu, and Majima is so awesome in this game. We don't see as much of Date, but it is great to have him back, and Haruka's inclusion feels a little unnecessary, but not unwelcome. There's some gorgeous set-pieces, such as the sword fight in the snow at the Tojo HQ, with the full moon's reflection beaming from the enclosed pond, and lots of great action sequences like when the helicopters descend upon Kamurocho.

Since these games lean heavily on narrative it's really nice that everything goes down a lot easier this time around.

Changes from Yakuza 1​

I'm not sure where to put this stuff so I'll just throw it all here. That UI bug in the first game where if you set the game to widescreen the radar would be stretched out has been fixed, and load times when the camera cuts are reduced but still present. The transition into battle looks a whole lot better - in Y1 it was just a black screen with a logo representing your opponent's clan, but here it's more cinematic and nice looking.

Gone, of course, is the english dub. This has major, major consequences and all of them are good. Most importantly the script is a LOT better (as I mentioned in the Y1 discussion, it felt like lines were rewritten to fit the character's mouth, at the expense of whatever the line was meant to convey). The japanese cast is overall a massive improvement, but Kaoru really got on my nerves in the final act with all that shrill blubbering. That minor complaint aside, good change all around.

Performance wise, it seems that the dev team was able to make some really good adjustments to make better use of the Playstation 2's architecture. This manifests itself most obviously in the duration of cutscenes, which are much much longer than those in Yakuza 1, which felt like they couldn't exceed 40 seconds before you'd have to load the next scene. Obviously, this makes a HUGE difference in the dramatic value of cutscenes, since they were able to have more stuff go on, and for longer.

There were some hiccups, notably in the last few scenes, where the framerate would again dip during cutscenes pretty noticeably, especially jarring since it felt like gameplay ran much more solidly this time around.

Side content​

I wish I did this in my last thread - dedicate a section to the not-story parts of Yakuza, which constitute a good deal of the franchise's personality and value. New to Yakuza 2 is the ability to fail missions, as in complete them but do so with a "bad ending". The dude told me not to look in the box, but I did anyway. I have mixed feelings about this, especially since some of the missions seem to deliberately mislead you towards the bad ending, but it's not too big of a deal. The mission screen now displays information that give you an idea of what you need to do to fulfill a mission, which is a welcome change. In the last game, I missed where someone told me to go and never got around to finishing the mission as such.

Let's talk about the two big side-missions in Yakuza 2: playing host at Adam and managing the Marietta. The Adam quest feels a little too trial and error for me, like I'd pick the wrong things to say the first two times I attempted playing host to some girl, so the third time around, I knew what to say by the process of elimination. If you're familiar with the Shin Megami Tensei games, it sorta felt like how you convince demons to join you in those games, in that there's SOME room for intuition, but at the same time it feels random in many cases. Nevertheless, I found the Adam side-quest to have a satisfying conclusion and worth the effort.

Managing the Marietta however... Okay, I don't know what the consensus on this mission is in the Yakuza community, but for me, it really, REALLY overstayed its welcome and felt like a spoiled opportunity. I say spoiled because the actual mechanics of managing the club are really fun - gradually replacing the furniture and keeping the girls happy while occasionally renovating the club and having little crisis arise on occasion. Fine. Good. Except for the last stretch of the mission where every piece of furniture costs millions and millions of yen and you only make 600,000 or so per night, meaning I really had to grind to get the furniture rating where it needed to be. To wrap this rant up, I genuinely liked the Marietta mission until I ended up wasting a shitload of my own money to keep the models happy while I slowly... slowly but surely grinded my way through getting all the furniture the customers wanted.

Also I couldn't figure out how to complete the training quests. Didn't really care though...

And lastly bowling is awesome. I'm really glad I did the bowling stuff.

Combat​

The general consensus on Yakuza 2's combat seems to be that it's a significant improvement over the combat in the first game, and I mostly, but not completely, agree. There's definitely a lot MORE you can do, and counters were fixed (you may have read that the counters weren't reliable in Y1 - now they are), but I miss the parry. The parry was cool. It's honestly overwhelming how many heat moves there are, and I feel sour that there was so much I never got around to using, such as many of the weapon heat moves. Even at the last fight I found a HEAT move I had never used before, and it was something as banal as holding your opponent from the back while facing the wall.

In general, the game felt a lot easier, and maybe too easy. I only died once and that was because of a QTE that killed me when I failed it.* Contrast this with my Y1 experience where I died like 17 times...

* DEAR GAME DEVELOPERS: NEVER. NEVER DO THIS. STOP PUTTING THIS IN GAMES.

Conclusion​

Yakuza 2 is on every level and from almost every angle a better video game than Yakuza 1. While I still feel that the cast is occasionally misused or underused I had a blast tearing through the two (and a half?) major locations in the game and soaking up all there was to see and do. Just like Y1, I approached this game with the feeling that I didn't want to use a guide to 100% the game, but did want to do everything I could. I'm honestly surprised at how low my side-mission completion is, as I truly tried to visit and revisit every place in the game (check that locker key completion!).

It's a shame that so many people are going to skip this game because it's on the PS2 and instead jump into Yakuza with 3 or 4. I feel that Yakuza 2 should have a home in every self-respecting PS2 owner's library, despite its current market price (which, really, is about what video games cost...)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The numbers​

Difficulty: Normal
Temporary EASY uses: 0
Retries: 1
Food completion: 47%
Drink completion: 85%
Side mission completion: 57%
Hostess completion: 0%
Coliseum completion: 27%
Locker completion: 94%
HEAT action completion: 61%
Play time: 35:24

Im still looking for a decently priced copy but that seems like a fever dream at this point. Hopefully Yakuza 5 does well enough to warrant a localization of 1 and 2

I've never seen romance in a video game executed quite as well as the one in Yakuza 2, which caught me hugely off guard at the time because I had no idea that that was how things were going to pan out, and not to mention that Yakuza is a series pretty heavily revolved around male pride and bravado.

But yeah, best Yakuza game, at least out of the mainline installments. I can't speak for the spin-offs and games not released outside of Japan.

I, like most people I suspect, started by playing Yakuza 3. Naturally, I was a little snowed but I enjoyed it all the same. Of course I watched and took in the story of the previous games, thanks to a feature in the game. In fact, I often refer to it as one of the most surprising games I've played in recent memory. I got it free in BOGOF due to literally nothing else grabbing my interest. It blew me away.

The cinematic direction and story narrative were absolutely wonderful. I'm playing through Yakuza 4 now, and am of course excited for Yakuza 5 this fall - but I must ask you all a question:

Is it feasible to play through the Japanese only games with absolutely no knowledge of the Japanese language? I understand there are translation guides out there - and that's fine, but I'm also interested in the many spin off games (the Samurai game for PS4 in particular, as well as Yakuza 0 of course, which I hear is arguably the best in the series yet!)

With no way to really play these games for the foreseeable future, the only way I'm able to get my fix is to import. I'm just looking for opinions of those who have done the same thing.

If Yakuza 3 and 4 are anything to go by, the clear cinematic direction and context of things that happen should allow me to piece the 'gist' of the story.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on importing all 8 games in the series (Japanese)

Never played Yakuza 1 or 2, and I'd obviously pick up the HD remasters of both.

Labadal

I'm currently replaying through the game and I have reached chapter 10. I'm having a lot of fun but the controls feel rough compared to the PS3 games. Also, the camera can be maddening at times.
Still, the whole package reeks of awesome.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Man, one of these days I'll play these PS2 games. I was late to the series, and my third PS2 died last year.

O well.

Enjoyed the write-up, TC. Thanks.

Having just replayed all the localized releases, I'd say that Yakuza 2, while not as refined as the PS3 games, is probably my favorite of the bunch. The whole Osaka Castle chapter is so rad, maybe my favorite section in the series
but I reaaaally didn't like the section after it when Kiryu tries to like send Haruka off to be an idol or something that fucking sucked

I think the final boss and lead-up really stand above the rest as well.
The game has you wanting an awesome, man-to-man final battle with Goda, but instead once you get to the top of the construction site you have to deal with all these fucking small time dudes showing up and double crossing each other, seemingly revealing themselves to be the mastermind. So when they're all picked off and you finally do get to the incredible fight to with Goda, it just feels so good. You don't need a crazy twist to have a good final boss, just give us the fight you've been building up to all game and make it awesome.

oneida

I, like most people I suspect, started by playing Yakuza 3. Naturally, I was a little snowed but I enjoyed it all the same. Of course I watched and took in the story of the previous games, thanks to a feature in the game. In fact, I often refer to it as one of the most surprising games I've played in recent memory. I got it free in BOGOF due to literally nothing else grabbing my interest. It blew me away.

The cinematic direction and story narrative were absolutely wonderful. I'm playing through Yakuza 4 now, and am of course excited for Yakuza 5 this fall - but I must ask you all a question:

Is it feasible to play through the Japanese only games with absolutely no knowledge of the Japanese language? I understand there are translation guides out there - and that's fine, but I'm also interested in the many spin off games (the Samurai game for PS4 in particular, as well as Yakuza 0 of course, which I hear is arguably the best in the series yet!)

With no way to really play these games for the foreseeable future, the only way I'm able to get my fix is to import. I'm just looking for opinions of those who have done the same thing.

If Yakuza 3 and 4 are anything to go by, the clear cinematic direction and context of things that happen should allow me to piece the 'gist' of the story.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on importing all 8 games in the series (Japanese)

Never played Yakuza 1 or 2, and I'd obviously pick up the HD remasters of both.
PS2s are dirt cheap and playing the game with English subtitles will be way better than using a translation guide.

The PS2 isn't the problem, it's the cost of the games themselves.

On top of that, I'd like to play Yakuza 0 the the samurai spin off series. I do hear good things about Yakuza 2 especially.

oneida

The PS2 isn't the problem, it's the cost of the games themselves.

On top of that, I'd like to play Yakuza 0 the the samurai spin off series. I do hear good things about Yakuza 2 especially.
it's like $60 which is what games cost generally. don't buy a sega Saturn lol.

it's like $60 which is what games cost generally. don't buy a sega Saturn lol.

You mind linking me to one? I'm finding $100+ on eBay. I do want the game complete with original case and manual though. But still, it's expensive. Do wish they'd put them up on PSN store.

oneida

You mind linking me to one? I'm finding $100+ on eBay. I do want the game complete with original case and manual though. But still, it's expensive. Do wish they'd put them up on PSN store.
Look at completed listings, one sold for $65 shipped two days ago. Just keep your eye out man, it's worth playing and I can't recommend playing with a guide like that. If you can forgo the need to have a CIB copy both games are available for $60 right now.

/edit/ there's a "Like New" copy on Amazon for $80.

Theosmeo

I want to play this before I move onto Y3, 4, and 5, but I can't find it for a reasonable price anywhere.

I found a JP copy for $5, expecting to be able to play it in my PS3, but the PS2 region lock too stronk. :/

oneida

I want to play this before I move onto Y3, 4, and 5, but I can't find it for a reasonable price anywhere.

I found a JP copy for $5, expecting to be able to play it in my PS3, but the PS2 region lock too stronk. :/
buy it beat it flip it. you'll prolly make money off it actually.

Sgblues

Yep one of the best stories made for the series, thanks to Hase Seishu who people have wanted to come back and write for future games. I remember seeing the commercial for Yakuza 2 and hearing its main theme"As a man, As a brother" played and I couldn't control my hype as Y1 had become my personal sleeper hit. Ryuji Goda is a character who
could have been the star of his own game, he's almost everything Kiryu is but younger, slightly taller and a bit stronger with ambition, some cockiness and some impulsiveness to go along with his pride which was one of his best traits
, for me he would always be one of the better rivals for Kiryu(if not the best), beating out Majima and Saejima for the top spot.

While I love Kaoru and all the moments she and Kiryu shared
like their night out in Sotenbori and she been cute during their "date"
I did hate the fact she does fall apart coming closer to the end of the game, I'm hoping if she does return to the series that she would be made a stronger character emotionally and seeing how the series is moving towards having more with female fighters(mostly trainers for now with
Nair from Y4 being the first woman you actually fight)
this would be a good thing.

Oh and the Tiger Drop is forever the move that lives up to its namesake and being one of the most powerful moves in the series as it goes on.

tumblr_mvao5mn8HK1s3t6r6o1_400.gif

I could only imagine if Sega decides to remake Y2 as well with playable Ryuji and Kaoru(hoping here) that would be so cool.

oneida

I can't find the song used towards the end of the game when
Ryuji and Kiryu decide to fight one last time, and Ryuji sends Kaoru down in the elevator

Anyone have it?

Yeah, I've definitely been wanting to see Sayama return, particularly as a playable character. I always found it really odd that
after the start of Yakuza 3, she's basically never referenced again, despite seemingly being at least somewhat serious with Kiryu. I think she just sends you completion messages in Y3 and that's it?

Maybe if this stuff about Y6 partially being set in America are true we'll see her!

IrishNinja

god, such a great game - i imported 1/2 HD but im dying to repaly this one in english.

i still lean heavily towards 4 but this game really was fantastic, and as OP said, improved in virtually every area - shame it was such a late release and so many missed out. also i hear it's getting kinda expensive now sadly.

I'm so glad that I impulse bought Yakuza 1 when I was younger. I ended up getting Yakuza 2 not realizing it'd be an incredibly rare title someday, and even though I like 3 it's the weakest game and I doubt Yakuza would've become one of my favorite series if not for grabbing Yakuza 1 because I liked the cover. Validated every other bad game purchase I've made.

But yeah, to get back more on topic, Ryuji Goda is the coolest bad guy ever and the idea of playing as him and Majima was the only thing that made me able to stomach Dead Souls.

Ah! I couldn't keep up, I'm only at chapter 12, so I'll hold off on reading and writing. But I'll say my impression of the game just continues to improve, and it will probably become one of my favorites on the PS2.

Sgblues

isn't this the track that plays during the fight? I'm looking for the one that plays in the cutscene before it, it's got a cool guitar bit when Ryuji hits the button.

I know which one you are talking about but its not in the ost.

Fevaweva

Yakuza 2 is rare? Shit I bought that game for like £10 not too long ago (as in, in the last 4 months or so) on Ebay.

What a steal!

oneida

Ah! I couldn't keep up, I'm only at chapter 12, so I'll hold off on reading and writing. But I'll say my impression of the game just continues to improve, and it will probably become one of my favorites on the PS2.
Sorry man! The first few weeks of the semester are pretty slow, so I sunk a lot of time on this game. I don't think I'll be able to play through Yakuza 3 as quickly :(
I know which one you are talking about but its not in the ost.
rats

Sorry man! The first few weeks of the semester are pretty slow, so I sunk a lot of time on this game. I don't think I'll be able to play through Yakuza 3 as quickly :(

Haha yeah that's what got me, semester decided to unload on me suddenly. Totally forgot to post my thoughts though, so here I go.

I agree with everything Oneida said regarding the improved script due to no dub. Aside from that though the story on it's own was just the perfect type of sequel. Building off characters and events from the first game to create a unique and interesting story, instead of just rehashing similar plot points in order to try and replicate the first. Like Onedia said, Ryuji Goda is a fantastic foil for Kazuma, and it doesn't hurt that those type of antagonists are always my favorite. I really enjoyed all the new characters and it's great to see all the characters that return, and that all feel justified in being there which is good. Also
that fake out ending. Gave me chills like I haven't had in a while, and made me forget for a few seconds that there are another 4 Yakuza games haha

The refinements to the combat system were welcomed. Learning a lot of special moves by leveling up, (especially since I was more than halfway through the first game before I found Kamaki haha), a lock on, and the team up segments. But man are there a lot of Heat moves. I thought I had gotten a lot of them but to see I only got 63% really surprised me.

Also, Bayonetta has been dethroned in terms of QTE's. Yakuza 2's QTE's go so fast, there are some you could never get unless you knew they were coming before hand, and even then they are just too fast.

Side missions were the other thing that completely overwhelmed me. I kept my eyes open and felt like I did plenty, and ended up only doing 41% of them. A lot of them are just "beat up X" but some ones that stood out were ones like helping the girl's singing career, and then Haruka showing you a newspaper clipping about her at the end of the game.

Overall this has become one of my favorite games on the PS2, and whatever needs to be done to get them as PS2 classics on the PS4 (whenever that is inevitably announced), needs to happen asap.

Nottle

I played like 4 yakuza games. Back to back and did a lot of annoying side quests so they are sort of a blur to me, but 2 had a lot of standout moments I really liked the ending and the cop lady. I wish she was in another game.

Yeah, I was really bummed out that she was essentially put on a bus and never seen again. Yakuza 6 is partly in the US, isn't it? Maybe she'll show up again there.

Late to say it.... but literal best in the series.

This and Yakuza 1 made me commit to the series long-term and it has been worth it.

So damn good.

And yea the lady in this game (sorry it's been years since I played it) was the best counterpart to the player in the entire series.

She whooped so much ass and had those great combos with Kiryu.... fucking amazing game and yes very surprised we didn't see her after this game.

She was the best love interest for Kiryu in the series (only real love interest post Y1?).

Man I bought a PS2 around a year ago so I could play Yakuza 2. Got to where you head to the mahjong parlor and give the guy the secret phrase.

Need to head back into it. Had to unplug the PS2 and never went back.

oneida

Man I bought a PS2 around a year ago so I could play Yakuza 2. Got to where you head to the mahjong parlor and give the guy the secret phrase.

Need to head back into it. Had to unplug the PS2 and never went back.
That's like right at the beginning. The best of Y2 awaits you

DC1

Very happy you're doing this op!

Enjoy the heck out of every minute that you play. This series is synonymous with playing THE DREAM of all man drama personified.

Looking forward to your experience and report of Y3. Super Excited.... Likely far more than I should be. :)

As if!

528082-yakuza-3-playstation-3-screenshot-kazuma-and-rikiya-pretending.jpg

thanks for the bump. playing Y3 as we speak!

Thanks for the awesome write ups! I'm also digging into 3, and I hope to have it finished by year's end.

Also I forgot to mention, totally agree that Diago could have done a lot more.
I was really digging his character at the beginning, thinking they might be going for a mentor/mentee thing with Kazuma, and then he just kind of disappears for most of the game. At least he gets his cool tattoo shot near the end haha.

oneida

Very happy you're doing this op!

Enjoy the heck out of every minute that you play. This series is synonymous with playing THE DREAM of all man drama personified.

Looking forward to your experience and report of Y3. Super Excited.... Likely far more than I should be. :)
Light LTTP spoilers: I found the first four chapters very tedious, but I'm seriously loving the return to Kamurocho.

Thanks for the awesome write ups! I'm also digging into 3, and I hope to have it finished by year's end.

Also I forgot to mention, totally agree that Diago could have done a lot more.
I was really digging his character at the beginning, thinking they might be going for a mentor/mentee thing with Kazuma, and then he just kind of disappears for most of the game. At least he gets his cool tattoo shot near the end haha.
On tattoos, I LOVED the sympathetic turn for Ryuji we see when we learn about his tattoo. Damn, Y2 was so good!

One of the things that made yakuza 2 my favorite is that the bosses had unique exclusive HEAT moves against them.. . which made each fight epic and kept you wondering.. . what badass move is kiryu gonna pull on this guy.. .

i didn't like that 3 & 4 didn't have that.. . but i think yakuza 5 has brought those back.

Light LTTP spoilers: I found the first four chapters very tedious, but I'm seriously loving the return to Kamurocho.

On tattoos, I LOVED the sympathetic turn for Ryuji we see when we learn about his tattoo. Damn, Y2 was so good!

I KNOW right?! Little side stories like that are a testament to how good the writing was overall. It's pacing was perfect in that it allowed for things like that, and was solid enough to have them be interesting in their own right.

I agree with the beginning of Y3 feeling slow, but glad to hear it picks up! I should be back in Kamurocho by tomorrow haha

Top Bottom