• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Pixel is an independent studio once again

killercow

Twisted Pixel Executive Producer Bill Muehl added, "This transition has been in the works for a few months, with both parties working together to lay the groundwork for us to spin out and become independent again. We’re looking forward to the new relationships and platforms this will open up to us and continuing our strong partnership with Microsoft on future titles for their platforms.”

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/09/30/lococycle-developer-twisted-pixel-is-an-indie-studio-again

Salsa

well Kinect is done and Lococycle wasnt exactly a big success

I like em. hope they keep doing different stuff

Whaaat damn they were working on a AAA title, I wonder if that is still around? I liked that they brought diversity to MGS but I'm sure it is for the best.

RE_Player

They were the weakest part of Microsoft's first party developers adding almost nothing of value. This is the best for them and Microsoft.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Huh. Supposedly their next game is some big epic one. After the disaster of Lococycle I don't blame MS for cutting them loose.

In fact none of their games are all that great save for Splosion' Man, which was one of my favorite 360 games ever.

Troy

Banned
Is Ms. Splosion Man owned by MS? If not, bring it to the PS4 now. One of the best downloadable titles ever released on PS3 or 360.

Salsa

im still bummed that the original splosion man never came to Steam even tho it was listed several times

havent played Ms. yet, tho I did get it on Steam. GFWL tho

Ridley327

I really never understood why MS bought them when they did, especially since they were already contracting out the vast majority of their Kinect games as it was.

Fat4all

Banned
People seem to overlook The Gunstringer, one of the best Kinect games of the 360 gen.

Loco was shit, but I loved Comic Jumper. In my eyes Twisted Pixel has more good than bad games.

Alx

well Kinect is done and Lococycle wasnt exactly a big success

I like em. hope they keep doing different stuff

Twisted Pixel developed a grand total of one kinect game(s).

2009 The Maw
2009 'Splosion Man
2010 Comic Jumper: The Adventures of Captain Smiley
2011 Ms. Splosion Man
2011 The Gunstringer
2013 LocoCycle
TBA untitled twisted pixel game

It's funny how it only takes one game to be labeled "kinect developer".

By the way I thought Lococycle was an ok game. Not pretty at all, but with some twisted humor and old-school arcade action.

jbug617

Banned
Buying Twisted Pixel was probably a Mattrick thing where Kinect was going to be a big part of the Xbox One. Phil killed Kinect so they really didn't need to own Twisted Pixel. Maybe MS gets first refusal on their new games?

2009 The Maw
2009 'Splosion Man
2011 Ms. Splosion Man
2011 The Gunstringer
2013 LocoCycle

Wasn't Lococycle suppose to be a Kinect game also?

sörine

Banned
Is Microsoft the only major publisher that's let studios go independent rather than just shutting them down or selling them off?

Salsa

Lococycle wasnt a great game but I respect it for being so out of the blue and I still appreciate Twisted Pixel's attempt to keep FMV alive among other things. I mean its a game randomly inspired by fucking Torque.

like any media I have a special place for stuff that just goes for it and knows from the get go that wont be mass-appealing but aspects of it will find an audience. I believe that's very much what they went for here and with any of their games really

Huh. I wonder what's going to happen to their IPs.

(The Maw 2 and Splosion Man 3, please!)

If it's anything like bungie they will get to take them with them except lococyle and gun stringer. If ms retain publishing over their next game I suspect a will own that too

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They're freed up to create whatever and people are clamoring for another cookie cutter Splosionman game?! Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Warxard

Banned
Lococycle is the worst next-gen release ever made. That takes some talent for sure.

Did you play THPS5?

Lococycle, while bad, at least had a lot of redeeming stuff in it like the actual story and the music.

--

What's with this revisionist consensus that Twisted Pixel is a 'bad' developer? Lococycle is the only universally 'bad' game they eve made.

Alx

Wasn't Lococycle suppose to be a Kinect game also?

No, I think it's one of the few launch games with zero kinect feature actually. Maybe you're thinking of Crimson Dragoon, that started as a full kinect game and in the end only supported voice commands.

EBE

No, I think it's one of the few launch games with zero kinect feature actually. Maybe you're thinking of Crimson Dragoon, that started as a full kinect game and in the end only supported voice commands.

I think you could lean left and right to dodge shit. don't remember too well, though. been a while.

Salsa

2009 The Maw
2009 'Splosion Man
2011 Ms. Splosion Man
2011 The Gunstringer
2013 LocoCycle

By the way I thought Lococycle was an ok game. Not pretty at all, but with some twisted humor and old-school arcade action.

im not saying they're a kinect developer at all, I just think MS bought them up with it in mind, at least in part

Fat4all

Banned
sure, but the first game was better AND WHAT DO YOU KNOW YOU'RE A DOG

I am master game dog.

dahchsund-playing-playstation2.jpg

Strange trajectory for this company...they have a good few multi plats under their belt but they were acquired, presumably, to develop kinect titles for X1, after putting out one of the best kinect games on 360, Gunstringer

...then they make a regular controller based game which was announced for 360 and became an X1 launch title of all things with Lococycle, and since then they have been effectively silent.

I wonder what they've been doing since 2013? I was okay with MS buying twisted pixel at first, especially if it meant more incubated first party IP, but it really has amounted to nothing. Gunstringer and Ms Splosion man predate the aquisition, and Lococyle is all that Microsoft has to really show for it... do you think that twisted pixel was purely envisioned is being a premier kinect developer? and ended up being left in the dust a long with the kinect?

Ridley327

Truth be told, I wish they went back to the more understated humor of The Maw. While it's not the best collectathon out there, it had a lot of personality and I appreciated that it went more for amusement than being totally in your face with the wackiness like...well, everything after The Maw.

Top Bottom