• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight XB1 Retail Release Cancelled Due To "Publishing Policies"

banner_physicalreleaseupdate.png

This was assumed to be coming after retail listings for XB1 versions of the retail release were removed and orders cancelled but this was the first time we got confirmation.

Certainly disappointing to see. Perhaps this was an issue with the minimum quantities of discs orderable from Microsoft?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://yachtclubgames.com/2015/10/retail-update/

Xbox One Retail Version Cancelled

With extremely heavy hearts, we’re sad to announce there will not be an Xbox One physical version this holiday. We really gave it our best effort, but unfortunately, because of publishing policies on that platform that are totally beyond our control, we couldn’t make it happen. We’re very sorry…we know there is a lot of interest – the pre-orders were really good and we thank everyone for their support!

We’ll keep fighting to get a retail version on Xbox One, but as of now, the boxed version is in indefinite limbo. The digital version of Shovel Knight on Xbox One is already available and will, of course, continue to receive new updates and our full support!

Other versions out November 3 (NA) and October 30 (EU).

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Microsoft's loss. Hopefully One owners will still end up picking up the digital version.

pastrami

banner_physicalreleaseupdate.png

This was assumed to be coming after retail listings for XB1 versions of the retail release were removed and orders cancelled but this was the first time we got confirmation.

Certainly disappointing to see. Perhaps this was an issue with the minimum quantities of discs orderable from Microsoft?

That's my guess. Sony is more flexible, and Nintendo platforms were Shovel Knights strongest platforms, so minimum runs for them were probably easy to clear.

Danlord

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the parity clause that MS has had in place for some time now with Xbox One games. Since the game came out physically for other platforms, they would need to release it with additional content.

Zubz

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if it's the parity clause that MS has had in place for some time now with Xbox One games. Since the game came out physically for other platforms, they would need to release it with additional content.

They already have the Battletoads level, though?

Eusis

Nah, the game is available on Xbone right now.

Like somebody else said, they probably have some kind of minimum for discs printed or something like that.
It's why we saw some niche games drop off from 360 later on last gen vs PS3. And unfortunately I guess it's still in place even when they're the underdog.

Majine

Banned
Why would you get the physical release anyway? It's a 200MB file that will still install on your system. The only difference being that you can't put another game in the disc drive.

(And you can resell it, I guess)

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Fucking hell Microsoft.

But this is weird. The game is digitally already on the store. The discs act as a delivery format for a digital copy. What could possibly be the issue here?

Quonny

I do not understand the point of such a policy to the point where it effects this.

They likely put this in place to limit people making garage games and submitting them for testing or something, but yeesh.

Vashetti

Banned
Why would you get the physical release anyway? It's a 200MB file that will still install on your system. The only difference being that you can't put another game in the disc drive.

People like collecting things. Sometimes it's nice to have a tangible product to display.

entremet

Looks great on the shelf.

It's also a fan favorite, so many would love a copy that they own--for realz.

Stanng243

Fucking hell Microsoft.

But this is weird. The game is digitally already on the store. The discs act as a delivery format for a digital copy. What could possibly be the issue here?
I've seen out mentioned here before. Microsoft asks for a high minimum disc printing.

Rocketz

Yeah this is kinda dumb. I bought the game day 1 digitally on my Xbox but it would have been nice for people to enjoy it who want it physical.

Top Bottom