• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games Japan: One AAA title to be announced using UE4 by the end of the year WOW

miku

qyZpkdu.jpg]

There is an interview about Unreal Engine 4 popularity in Japan here

It talks about a lot of games, PlayStation VR, and other stuff.

Here are a few very very rough translation by me:

Q: In Japan, it feels like there are suddenly a rise in Unreal Engine 4 titles particular this year. Can you give us a background?

Kawasaki: Certainly, there are many announcement especially this year and last year. There are Tekken, Kingdom Hearts, Street Fighter, and recently Dragon Quest. The announcement keeps coming, and you can see there are many in the past year. But in reality, we actually talked about these games 2 to 3 years ago. The timing of the announcement just didn't happened until last summer.

Q: Lastly, please tell us about the future development of Unreal Engine. So let's get to the point, are there any hidden gems?

Kawasaki: Again, it's scary when these things get checked all over the internet; however (laughs),
possibly, I believe there is one AAA title to be announced using Unreal Engine 4 by the end of the year.

Examples of Japanese Games using UE4:
Bloodstained
Dragon Quest XI
Kingdom Hearts III
Shenmue III
Street Fighter V
Tekken 7

So which game do you guys think is next?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Final Fantasy VII Remake or maybe the CyGames thing if they're not using their internal engine, but I'm not sure if that will be AAA either.

I'm not expecting RE7 to be announced this year.

komplanen

Man image if it's Deadly Premonition 2 with AAA budget and talent using Unreal Engine 4 and exclusive to PS4 + PC for maximum graphics. IMAGINE THAT!

Now I wonder what it'll actually be.

Nibel

I think Resident Evil 7 will use Unreal Engine 4, but I don't think they will talk about it this year. RE7 is E3 or TGS material.

I think Square said they'll talk about FFVIIR before the end of the year, right? Guess it might be that. Also, not that surprising if you look at their current lineup.

Jawmuncher

It's not a bad suggestion, but the fact that Umbrella Corps or whatever it's called is using Unity makes me doubt that RE7 will be on UE4. Why not use the same engine to enable easy sharing of assets, tech etc?

That seems like a pretty safe bet. Didn't DmC use UE3?

Those assets from umbrella corps don't exactly look like they're worth sharing,

Sesha

It said announced. That would mean that FF7 does not count, since that game has been already announced.

Going by the (Japanese) phrasing, it sounds like the fact that (the AAA title) uses UE4 is what will be announced, not necessarily that an entirely new title will be announced.

Numb

1318521000711.gif

Didn't expect to see Lucky Chloe coming in here....

Lots of classic Japanese titles there.
Hoping the next announcement is for a fighting game.
Darkstalkers/Soul Calibur/Rival schools/
TEKKENxSTREETFIGHTER

FFVIIR, since SEs already getting their feet wet in UE4 with KH3 and VIIR is confirmed to not use luminous, plus they said more information would be revealed this winter.

Durante

I greatly appreciate this development. Because you have to actively work hard to mess up arbitrary resolution and framerate support if you're using UE4.

Top Bottom