• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn developer: sales “surpassed expectations,” sequel is being talked about

In an excerpt from an upcoming interview with executive producer Pete Samuels...

PlayStation LifeStyle: How is Until Dawn doing sales wise? Is it performing as expected? Better? We saw it do well in sales data, which a lot of people were surprised with.

It’s definitely surpassed expectations. I think that’s already been stated in other interviews, and reports of significant retail outlets running out of stock during the first weeks after release kind of supports that.

As for what’s next from Supermassive Games, they’re already working on something that builds on what they did with Until Dawn:

PSLS: What should we expect from Supermassive next? Any new games in the same genre or completely different/new projects? Is Until Dawn 2 being considered at all or is it too early?

I think that you should expect the team to build on what we’ve done with Until Dawn, whether it’s in horror or in other genres. We’re already working on one thing that does that, whilst exploring other avenues for our other teams in anticipation of them finishing their current projects. We do talk internally about what Until Dawn 2 could be, as it clearly can’t be a sequel in the traditional sense, with the same characters facing the same threat, not least of which because in different stories some or all of them are already dead! We’ve investigated other ways we could do Until Dawn 2 but it probably is a little early to be discussing that.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...being-discussed-sales-surpassed-expectations/

If this is old then it hasn't Dawned on me yet, so lock it up like an unfortunate scream queen.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I'd like to add that this is one interesting interview since it wasn't screened by PR. :)

We asked him a bunch of things such as the small marketing push, DLC, implementation of VR, and got honest answers.

Thanks for linking to us, OP! =D

Begaria

I would love it if Supermassive Games made this a "thing" of theirs: taking tropes of some kind of movie genre and making a game about it. A well written super hero game filled with tropes from the genre, or an Action movie/game. I bet they could even make a good satire of the Romance genre with a few winks and nods from the corny shit like Twilight. They don't have to do just Horror.

Great news.

Best exclusive this generation thus far for me by quite a long way.
I'm almost inclined to agree for the most part though MCC and sunset overdrive along with the Nintendo stuff are probably better/as good.

Still incredible though, and better than it had any right to be.

nib95

Banned
Awesome. Will buy. Enjoyed Until Dawn. Literally came from nowhere because I had zero hype for it up until retail release impressions started coming in.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Do damn deserved congrats to everyone at SMG. I expect this to have some legs through Halloween and holidays as well. So hyped for the next one.

Don't call it Until Dawn 2. Just plaster on the front cover, " From the Creators of Until Dawn " and that will be good enough.

Glad to hear the sales exceeded expectations. Hope it gets another boost around Halloween with some marketing put behind it.

Great news for Supermassive Games. Whether it is another entry in the Until Dawn IP or something similar but different, I think Sony should give them another shot.

Until Dawn 2 VR

fV0hUik.gif

I'm down for anything they do next, Supermassive has catapulted themselves onto my most watched list, absolute stunner of a game, the only downside being it was released alongside so many other great GOTY contenders :p

Fireblend

Banned
Super well deserved. I can't play the game since I don't own a PS4 but I watched alongside the Giantbomb playthrough and the game's really good - hopefully I get to play it someday. Good for Supermassive.

ezekial45

Banned
These guys made a better Quantic Dream game than the devs at Quantic Dream. Well deserved, I hope we'll see more from these SMG soon.

If there were a game you'd show off to non-gamers that have an affinity for horror, this is the game.

Dibils2k

well its good for them but i hope it doesnt lead to the market being filled with games like this.. so boring to play

jaypah

Just bought and played through this with the wife. It was very enjoyable as an interactive horror movie. I could see myself playing more movie games like this in different generes, I always was big on Choose Your Own Adventure books. Anyway, congrats to Supermassive!

Don't call it Until Dawn 2. Just plaster on the front cover, " From the Creators of Until Dawn " and that will be good enough.

Glad to hear the sales exceeded expectations. Hope it gets another boost around Halloween with some marketing put behind it.

They could make a sex-themed spin-off and call it Until the Crack of Dawn.

Yep, I thought of that aaaaaall by myself.

Koobion

This is great to hear! The game deserves this success, and it's quite exciting to know that this success will encourage more games like this to be made.

They really need to bring on another horror/film director who knows what they're doing for the sequel. Didn't really like the supernatural stuff, but the story flowed well and the writing fit the mood perfectly cause the directors are horror veterans.

Others have mentioned it, but an American Horror Story type of series for Until Dawn would be cool. Congrats to SMG.

Keep the same characters, throw them into a different style horror/slasher enviroment. Even if they went with a new cast I'd like to see them tacklet a different style of horror for the sequel.

eFKac

That's what I've expected, even if the game would not sell as good as it did (which was unexpected) the critical reception from press and gamers alike was very positive so I was sure Sony would give it another shot, this time probably expecting a commercial success so coming in with a different approach marketing wise.

Anyway nice to see confirmation.

stryke

well its good for them but i hope it doesnt lead to the market being filled with games like this.. so boring to play

Heavy Rain did 3 million and the market hardly got flooded with QTE heavy story driven games.

Your faux concern is unwarranted, and so is your selfish attitude.

Top Bottom