• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: "We're going to fight to preserve our independence" (regarding Vivendi)

For those who don't know last week Vivendi purchased 6.6 per cent of Ubisoft's stock for €140.3 million.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...e-going-to-fight-to-preserve-our-independence

"Our intention is and has always been to remain independent, a value which, for 30 years, has allowed us to innovate, take risks, create beloved franchises for players around the world, and which has helped the company grow into the leader it is today," Guillemot said.

"We're going to fight to preserve our independence. We should not let this situation - nor any future actions by Vivendi or others - distract us from our goals. Our best defence is to stay focused on what we have always done best - deliver the most original and memorable gaming experiences."

more at the link

Corpekata

Banned
Vivendi just really wants them to kill Uplay, that's what it's all about. They heard about Ubisoft Club earlier than the rest of us and were like "time to put a stop to this."

Shahadan

Our intention is and has always been to remain independent, a value which, for 30 years, has allowed us to innovate, take risks
k2mKmKP.gif

Ubisoft said:
"We're going to fight to preserve our independence. We should not let this situation - nor any future actions by Vivendi or others - distract us from our goals. Our best defence is to stay focused on what we have always done best - deliver the most original and memorable gaming experiences."

I'm not well versed on stock buyouts and such but this sounds to me like they're running on a timer until Vivendi takes control.

dex3108

Let's start a Gofundme for NeoGAF to buy 51% stock in Ubisoft.

And achieve what exactly? :D Then there will be thousands of people who will want their voice to be heard, arm chair developers who will want to dictate development, and armchair businessmans who will want to tell how things should be done. Company would be down year after that. :D

DrWong

Yep, they basically said the same thing in their first PR: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=181774479&postcount=28

It could be a tough fight as the Guillemot Bros don't hold more than 10% and Vivendi/Bolloré is really aggressive (and successful) at these taking over. He always operate the same way...

Vivendi owned Activision (merger of Vivendi Games and Activision) up until selling it's majority shares in 2013. Wonder what's brought them back on board with gaming?

nOoblet16

Laugh all you want but they did take risks with whatever they did.
Every franchise they have was something of a new idea and as such a risk...it doesn't matter if they decided to capitalise on it later on by making sequels since it doesn't changes the fact that they were risks and innovations at the beginning.

Farcry 2, Blood Dragon, Assassin's Creed 1 (and 2), various Splinter Cells and Rainbow Six (since even within the franchise they have so much differences), Driver San Francisco, Child of Light. These were/are all risky games.

Even the upcoming games like Division and the next Ghost Recon are risky ideas. People like to pile up on Ubisoft because it's the cool thing to do these days but let's not ignore the facts now shall we?

nOoblet16

No they weren't.

Uh prove me otherwise then.

What was not risky and innovative about Farcry 2 or AC1 ?
Prove me that these were your generic run of the mill games that just capitalised on the current market when they came out.

You can't because the truth is these games were going for something new and it is evident from the polarised response these games got since they were trying something new. You must not remember well if you think there used to be games similar to these when they came out.

Experimentation and innovation is not always about offbeat gameplay you see in indie games, it's about the structure of the game just as much.

Every franchise they have was something of a new idea and as such a risk...it doesn't matter if they decided to capitalise on it later on by making sequels since it doesn't changes the fact that they were risks and innovations at the beginning.

Farcry 2, Blood Dragon, Assassin's Creed 1 (and 2), various Splinter Cells and Rainbow Six (since even within the franchise they have so much differences), Driver San Francisco, Child of Light, the next Ghost Recon.

These were/are all risky games.

How were Assassins Creed, Far cry 2 and Splinter Cell risky games? Far Cry and Splinter Cell have followings while Assassins Creed as just new, so if we are saying new games are risky then literally every dev and publisher could be say they are risk takers.

Rainbow 6 shows how they aren't willing to take risks except to see how shitty they can make a known franchise and get away with it. They backed down from a storyline about terrorists which would have most probably caused controversy and have made the game multiplayer only. A franchise that was loved for it's singleplayer.

JordanN

Banned
One good thing about Ubisoft is you never here about them laying off people.

Really hope that part of their culture never change.

Busty

Banned
Just like the film Taken a a French voice can be heard down the phone saying...,

"Good luck."

Eh. Once Vivendi does swallow Ubisoft whole I doubt many people will notice a difference in the publisher's output.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Out of all the big publishers Ubisoft is probably the least risk-averse.
Just look at their Ubiart stuff, you don't see EA or Activision do that. Yes, they pump out AC sequels every year, but come on if they still sell like crazy they would be stupid not to.

Rainbow 6 shows how they aren't willing to take risks except to see how shitty they can make a known franchise and get away with it. They backed down from a storyline about terrorists which would have most probably caused controversy and have made the game multiplayer only. A franchise that was loved for it's singleplayer.

Wait what? Rainbow 6 was always about Multiplayer. Yes it had a singleplayer, but multiplayer was what made those old games for me.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Huh. I know nothing about stockholders and top tier corporate stuff. How is it one company can forcefully take over another without them even wanting it?

Farcry 2, Blood Dragon, Assassin's Creed 1 (and 2), various Splinter Cells and Rainbow Six (since even within the franchise they have so much differences), Driver San Francisco, Child of Light. These were/are all risky games.

Even the upcoming games like Division and the next Ghost Recon are risky ideas. People like to pile up on Ubisoft because it's the cool thing to do these days but let's not ignore the facts now shall we?

Not saying they aren't good games, but pumping out several murder sims and military shooters with an established fan base per year that share many design choices is not "risky." It is literally just taking a proven formula and applying it to as many popular game settings as they can. It's the safest business model you can have in this industry.

And Child of Light is not risky because it cost like $20 to make
and is a great game that everyone should own

Rocky

Banned
Didn't Ken Williams say something along those lines back when Vivendi acquired Sierra? But then he left and Vivendi completely ruined the company.

Not saying they aren't good games, but pumping out several murder sims and military shooters with an established fan base per year that share many design choices is not "risky." It is literally just taking a proven formula and applying it to as many popular game settings as they can. It's the safest business model you can have in this industry.

And Child of Light is not risky because it cost like $20 to make
and is a great game that everyone should own

Ubisoft's output is not limited to the last 5 years. Even including the last 5 years the created a template for some of the biggest games in the industry.

Kssio_Aug

"Our intention is and has always been to remain independent, a value which, for 30 years, has allowed us to innovate, take risks (...)"

Maybe theyre talking about some internal relations, but honestly, seeing their games it really sounds like a joke! lol

By what standard are you using when emphasizing risks? It ignores a wide spectrum of design within the game's market. This means making games outside your standard power fantasy fare add to that the production budget and the risk is significantly increased. Flower, Journey, Heavy Rain, TLG, Everybody Returns to Rapture and the like not only define themselves much more closely to "uniqueness" compared to your examples, they also have a bigger backing in funds than your typical indie title. This means it not only has to appeal to what is a very niche audience on top of the sales it needs to make up for the higher production costs. How is the division and Ghost Recon "risky" when it highlights all the features that have proven themselves success on the market such as shooting and open-world? If this is how you define risk taking them I think you have a very low awareness of the overall game spectrum.

Just look at their Ubiart stuff, you don't see EA or Activision do that. Yes, they pump out AC sequels every year, but come on if they still sell like crazy they would be stupid not to.

Those games cost so little to make I don't think it can be called risk taking meanwhile they literally have a blue print for making AAA games that everyone can see. They are as safe as Activision in their approach to making games. EA really seems to be more diverse of the three mainly because besides their sport titles they have yet to completely suffocate the market with yearly sequels for their biggest franchises.
Yet

Wait what? Rainbow 6 was always about Multiplayer. Yes it had a singleplayer, but multiplayer was what made those old games for me.

New Vegas 1 and 2 were all about the singleplayer, the multiplayer was fun but the campaigns were just as awesome.

dex3108

Let's see they are now doing Far Cry Primal set in stone age that is taking risk because after announcement opinions are divided. They took Ghost Recon and they are doing something different with that franchise and also opinions are divided that is taking risk. They are changing Rainbow Six and taking risk there too.

Yes Ubisoft is releasing many games that feel same but they are also only big publisher that is doing many different things too and they are taking risks.

RalchAC

Huh. I know nothing about stockholders and top tier corporate stuff. How is it one company can forcefully take over another without them even wanting it?

Imagine you have a company. You divide it in 100 pieces and sell, let's say, 70 of them because you want money for whatever reason. Those 70 pieces now belong to different people.

A few years pass and then I decide I want your company. So I start looking for the people that have those 70 pieces and buy 51 of those pieces.

Then I own most of the company, even if the founder doesn't want to have to deal with me.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but that should work as a simplified explanation, right?

nOoblet16

How were Assassins Creed, Far cry 2 and Splinter Cell risky games? Far Cry and Splinter Cell have followings while Assassins Creed as just new, so if we are saying new games are risky then literally every dev and publisher could be say they are risk takers.
Did you even read what I wrote? I am making an entirely different point there.
Farcry and Splinter Cell have following but they didn't get that automatically now did they?
Farcry 2 was Farcry in name, the game type that people associate with Farcry began with FC2 not FC1. You have to be kidding yourself to believe that they did nothing new in that game compared to the previous one that was made by Crytek. The entire concept they had for that game was something special which didn't work out in the end. Infact that question I should be asking is how was AC1 (or FC2) not an innovation?

On topic of Splinter Cell, are we to forget how different of a game Conviction was? or how different Blacklist was? Sure they all belong to the same franchise but people talk as if they have been doing nothing but releasing Splinter Cell 1 with a new coat of paint.

I am saying these franchise and "formula" exist because they took risks for something new, and the fact that they capitalise on these franchise once the got successful does not changes the fact that these were risks and innovations.

Innovation and risks does not automatically mean new IP, nor does it automatically mean offbeat gameplay. It's a culmination of many different things and not having one of these things does not exclude it from the category.

LeFAIS

Let's see they are now doing Far Cry Primal set in stone age that is taking risk because after announcement opinions are divided. They took Ghost Recon and they are doing something different with that franchise and also opinions are divided that is taking risk. They are changing Rainbow Six and taking risk there too.

Yes Ubisoft is releasing many games that feel same but they are also only big publisher that is doing many different things too and they are taking risks.

I think that a lot of people don't accept those things as "taking risks" because although the changes seem cool to me and I'm looking forward to Ghost Recon, they seem conventional.

Although For Honor, I can see that as their biggest risk that they've just announced.

Imagine you have a company. You divide it in 100 pieces and sell, let's say, 70 of them because you want money for whatever reason. Those 70 pieces now belong to different people.

A few years pass and then I decide I want your company. So I start looking for the people that have those 70 pieces and buy 51 of those pieces.

Then I own most of the company, even if the founder doesn't want to have to deal with me.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but that should work as a simplified explanation, right?

That's about how I would have explained it. Once you own those 51 pieces you have enough voting rights to throw out the old leadership and put your people in it, effectively controlling the company.

BibiMaghoo

Again, Ubisoft's output is not limited to the last 5 years. The innovations they have made in the industry have allowed them to create a template for huge selling games.

I enjoy several of their games, but I'm struggling to think of where exactly they innovated? What original work have they done of quality? They are good at building up what they have, but not good at coming up with new things. Almost all of their new stuff barring small downloadable titles has been garbage first run, and improved if they had a second and more.

By what standard are you using when emphasizing risks? It ignores a wide spectrum of design within the game's market. This means making games outside your standard power fantasy fare add to that the production budget and the risk is significantly increased. Flower, Journey, Heavy Rain, TLG, Everybody Returns to Rapture and the like not only define themselves much more closely to "uniqueness" compared to your examples, they also have a bigger backing in funds than your typical indie title. This means it not only has to appeal to what is a very niche audience on top of the sales it needs to make up for the higher production costs. How is the division and Ghost Recon "risky" when it highlights all the features that have proven themselves success on the market such as shooting and open-world? If this is how you define risk taking them I think you have a very low awareness of the overall game spectrum.

ubi does quite well in the innovation front, tbh. It's just that most people dont bother with their output when they go that route.

Setsuna

Those games cost so little to make I don't think it can be called risk taking meanwhile they literally have a blue print for making AAA games that everyone can see. They are as safe as Activision in their approach to making games. EA really seems to be more diverse of the three mainly because besides their sport titles they have yet to completely suffocate the market with yearly sequels for their biggest franchises.
Yet

Oh really now? Name the last big New IP from EA Activision or take two game

The only one I know of is Evolve Titanfall and destiny

nOoblet16

I enjoy several of their games, but I'm struggling to think of where exactly they innovated? What original work have they done of quality? They are good at building up what they have, but not good at coming up with new things. Almost all of their new stuff barring small downloadable titles has been garbage first run, and improved if they had a second and more.

And how do you think they got to the point where they have things to build upon?

Even AC started out as an innovation, since there was nothing quite like it. AC2 built upon it and innovated further with it's structure..which is why it's one of the best games from last generation and nothing can change that fact. Not even the reality that AC series now is an annualised series that does not innovate.

And let's not forget that they make more niche games than anyone else out there in the entire industry.

dex3108

I think that a lot of people don't accept those things as "taking risks" because although the changes seem cool to me and I'm looking forward to Ghost Recon, they seem conventional.

Although For Honor, I can see that as their biggest risk that they've just announced.

Well they are risk because those IPs have established user base and drastic changes like no guns in Far Cry or going OW with Ghost Recon are not easy transitions and they are big changes for those user bases.

Top Bottom