• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Business booming for CEO that gave employees raise to $75k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So a few months ago, there were reports that the guy who raised his employees base wage to $75k was having a pretty rough time with his business. But now?

Revenue is growing at twice the rate it was before Chief Executive Dan Price made his announcement this spring, according to a report on Inc.com. Profits have doubled. Customer retention is up, despite some who left because they disagreed with the decision or feared service would suffer. (Price said he’d make up the extra cost by cutting his own $1.1 million pay.)

Gravity was inundated with résumés -- 4,500 in the first week alone -- including one from a high-powered 52-year-old Yahoo executive named Tammi Kroll, who was so inspired by Price that she quit her job and in September went to work for Gravity at what she insisted would be an 80-85 percent pay cut. "I spent many years chasing the money," she says. "Now I'm looking for something fun and meaningful."

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/...ade-70-000-minimum-wage-for-all-his-employees

R.I.P. capitalism

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
So, some people are discovering that you get better workers if you pay more?
Interesting.

I had to Google him for his age; born in 1985. I've faith this and the next generations are going to change things up for the better as the baby boomer corporate dino's are retiring.

ChaosXVI

God...70K a year to me at this point in my life just sounds like so much money, but I live in the rural Midwest where 30-40K can get you a comfortable life barring children.

Glad to see his experiment is paying off after the initial roughness, makes me more hopeful for more companies to see the light and raise wages, even if not in such dramatic fashion.

Maybe he mistook his employees for offshore tax havens? Wait, the company is actually benefiting from not just hoarding profits at the top? I just don't know what to think anymore...

I'm glad that we keep getting updates on the status, and the challenges and opportunities that they contend with as a result. It's too early for pilot mode!

Coolluck

I think the wording is wrong in that it implies a $75,000 raise rather than a raise to $75,000.

I'd kill for a salary like that. But then I'm also miserable in my current job regardless of money so I don't know how much better of a worker I'd be with the extra money. I'd be happier just working less.

ISOM

Really happy for him. It was sad to see so many comments by people who felt like what he did was a slap in the face.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Interesting.

Such a new and fascinating concept.

I'm really happy for this guy and I hope other companies do eventually follow suit.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wait people LEFT because they were getting paid more?

whut? :eek:

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I would be interested to know what percentage of business he got from the extra publicity regardless of how this would work out in general.

Ermc_G6

Wow, we are on neogaf again??

Feel free to check the other threads on this topic, but as mentioned before I actually work for Gravity Payments, and was one of the people who got a raise.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Picture of me in the NYT that ran last April:
aSg4hT5.png

Feel free to check the other threads on this topic, but as mentioned before I actually work for Gravity Payments, and was one of the people who got a raise.

aSg4hT5

Do you find there's more internal competition and stress because of the raises to $75,000? I worry a lot of people are scared they'll lose their new high-paying jobs if they don't ramp up the productivity.

Ermc_G6

wait people LEFT because they were getting paid more?

whut? :eek:

The two people who left were for idealistic reasons rather than pay. One of them left because they felt it was unfair for some of the new hires to get the same pay raise as the people who had been working at more or less the same pay for 1-2 years.

The other guy was on his way out the door anyway, and he also had some problems with how this was done.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

aSg4hT5.png

So is this article accurate or a case of the liberal media spinning things?

Ermc_G6

Do you find there's more internal competition and stress because of the raises to $75,000? I worry a lot of people are scared they'll lose their new high-paying jobs if they don't ramp up the productivity.

I would say there has been lots more stress on me personally since the raises, but none of it from worries of my performance or internal competition. The stress has mostly come from that fact that our workload went up about 30% overnight without warning from all the new business, and everyone on my team had to find a way to reach deep inside and do the 30% more work with the resources we had. Before the announcement, I would show up for my shift, take a easy lunch break, and leave right as soon as my shift is over. Now, I'm frequently coming in early, taking lunch at my desk, and working some late and on the weekends to make sure everything gets done.

krae_man

aSg4hT5.png

Be honest, is NeoGAF on your screen in that photo?

Ermc_G6

So is this article accurate or a case of the liberal media spinning things?

Could you be more specific? Over all yes, the article is accurate. There was some very negative responses, and some very positive responses. Our sales volume month to month has grown 50% - 80% ever since April, and we've made about 10 hires since April to try and handle all the new work caused by it.

I would say there has been lots more stress on me personally since the raises, but none of it from worries of my performance or internal competition. The stress has mostly come from that fact that our workload went up about 30% overnight without warning from all the new business, and everyone on my team had to find a way to reach deep inside and do the 30% more work with the resources we had. Before the announcement, I would show up for my shift, take a easy lunch break, and leave right as soon as my shift is over. Now, I'm frequently coming in early, taking lunch at my desk, and working some late and on the weekends to make sure everything gets done.

Sounds like most jobs where the pay goes up (a raise or getting a new position/promotion) but you work more anyway so the pay per hour isn't much of an increase. Still sounds like a net gain, but maybe not as clear as one would initially think.

Could you be more specific? Over all yes, the article is accurate. There was some very negative responses, and some very positive responses. Our sales volume month to month has grown 50% - 80% ever since April, and we've made about 10 hires since April to try and handle all the new work caused by it.

How much were you making before you got the raise, if you don't mind me asking? And are you browsing GAF from work?

Ermc_G6

Sounds like most jobs where the pay goes up (a raise or getting a new position/promotion) but you work more anyway so the pay per hour isn't much of an increase. Still sounds like a net gain, but maybe not as clear as one would initially think.

You are absolutely right. I have often wondered to myself if I would rather have my old life back with less pay and less expectations. Over all though, I'm realistically not going to be making this much anywhere else, so I'm going to stick with this opportunity while I can.

You are absolutely right. I have often wondered to myself if I would rather have my old life back with less pay and less expectations. Over all though, I'm realistically not going to be making this much anywhere else, so I'm going to stick with this opportunity while I can.

Interesting. Well thanks for answering my questions. I wish you and the company good luck going forward.

Madrin

Do you get the impression that they're going to continue hiring more employees to meet the increased workload?

Ermc_G6

How much were you making before you got the raise, if you don't mind me asking? And are you browsing GAF from work?

I started with the company at 31K a year. I have a college degree, but this was my first "real" job out of college. I was promoted/moved some within the company over the course of 18 months or so, and my pay was about $39K at that time.

Ermc_G6

Do you get the impression that they're going to continue hiring more employees to meet the increased workload?

We have six open positions right now, and I know a few other departments are planning on posting positions soon. I don't see it slowing down as of now.

Ermc_G6

God...70K a year to me at this point in my life just sounds like so much money, but I live in the rural Midwest where 30-40K can get you a comfortable life barring children.

Glad to see his experiment is paying off after the initial roughness, makes me more hopeful for more companies to see the light and raise wages, even if not in such dramatic fashion.

I was raised near Kansas City, and have a lot of family back there. It would not surprise me to learn I am currently earning more than many of my family members, and I am only 25.

Cost of living is crazzzzyy out here though. In KS I was paying $225 in rent for my room. In Seattle my wife and I share a 1 Br apartment for $1400. No parking, no dishwasher, and the building is 30 years old.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad to see this. I hope more companies follow suit. Glad to see a Gaffer was benefited! Hope you guys get more employees to alleviate the work load.

soco

Interesting.

is it that you get better workers? weren't the increases for existing pay-raises? also, the one exec took a pay decrease to work there.

Apt101

This even works in companies and departments with high compensation to begin with. Money is a motivator, the primary motivator, despite what clueless business professors might tell their students. In my department everyone was already earning about $20k over the area average for salaries. But our management noticed productivity had stagnated. So out of the blue the did a "market adjustment" (the term they used to justify it to HR and the CEO) and boosted everyone's salary by 5%-10%, gave many promotions prior, and implemented discretionary bonuses.

That was a little over a year ago. In that time productivity ramped up and my department alone developed a number of tools that help application owners (mostly developers) and DBA's have an almost hands-off approach to their servers and applications, easily schedule maintenance to bring things into standards, approve SLA's at a click of a button, view their servers' and apps' performance metrics, budget expansions and new resources then build those servers/storage/whatever with simple to use browser-based tools, etc. They brought an outside company in to evaluate and found that we now save each app team (and there are literally almost a hundred) about 2,000 man hours a year. My team consists of eight engineering types and a technical manager.

A shame more companies don't realize that they could pay their people a little more and get twice the work out of them. No, they'd rather be hard asses and rip off kids coming out of college with atrocious salary offers - then complain when those underskilled, under experienced young workers can't hit goals and drag the rest of the team down.

Ermc_G6

is it that you get better workers? weren't the increases for existing pay-raises? also, the one exec took a pay decrease to work there.

In some cases the quality of the hires went up. For my department we hired someone who had years of industry experience to come work for us because of the news. We are in a very niche industry, so finding anyone with experience in this field is a big win.

Cagey

Banned
The cost of the raise across the company and the subsequent amount of high profile publicity and advertisement the CEO achieved versus the cost of purchasing that level of publicity at standard rates and the quality of what he'd be able to get and saturation and penetration of that advertising?

He got an absolute steal.

Man, it's pretty awesome that someone from the company happens to be on GAF. Glad to get an insiders perspective and I'm super thrilled that this seems to have worked out well for the company. Hopefully more will follow the example set here.

Anyway, Ermc, I have a super important question. Can you get me a job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom