• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Housemarque's new game, Matterfall, gives me Mega Man vibes

ReaperXL7

So Housemarque announced this game

http://youtu.be/ihgHkAnOPjo

thanks for the extra info Guymelef
Key Features

Survive a unique combination of platforming and bullet hell action within a massively vertical futuristic city that is being overrun by the mysterious “Smart Matter”.

Manipulate “Smart Matter” to turn the environment to your advantage.

Master extreme aerial agility, sliding, leaping, and blasting to take down hordes of enemies.

Experiment with augmented weapons as you explore landmark locations known as the Domed City, Alien Ruins and The Space Elevator.

Engage in local co-op and competitive gameplay modes, comparing kills, scores and statistics against other players.
t http://gematsu.com/2015/10/sony-hous...x1HXpU14jau.99

It's not really difficult to see what may be influences for the game when you consider that Housemarque likes to take old game formulas and spruce them up for a new age.

It may be speculation but Colin Moriarty posted on Twitter about the game (he's a big Megaman fan) and HM favorited this tweet

xKvAwll.jpg

I'd love to see HMs version of Megaman so I'm pumped for the possibility.

CLEEK

My take from the reveal trailer was Contra, built using the Resogun voxel engine, with an Ikaruga colour mechanic to it. Either way, you know it's going to be awesome. Housemarque are one of the few studios I have complete faith in.

Why did they use a generic videogame title generator tho

What happened to creativity

I immediately couldn't take it seriously after they said the name

What does Matterfall even mean

Guymelef

Yeah... Megaman...

Key Features

Survive a unique combination of platforming and bullet hell action within a massively vertical futuristic city that is being overrun by the mysterious “Smart Matter”.

Manipulate “Smart Matter” to turn the environment to your advantage.

Master extreme aerial agility, sliding, leaping, and blasting to take down hordes of enemies.

Experiment with augmented weapons as you explore landmark locations known as the Domed City, Alien Ruins and The Space Elevator.

Engage in local co-op and competitive gameplay modes, comparing kills, scores and statistics against other players.
t http://gematsu.com/2015/10/sony-housemarque-announce-matterfall-ps4#Imc1Fx1HXpU14jau.99

Fury451

Banned
So, is that with the game is supposed to look like? I love their products, but this really looks like something out of the early last-gen generic shooter design.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well I guess he has a gun on his arm...?

I'm not sure how you watched that and thought "Megaman".

Elios83

Until they show something real time it's difficult to tell.
Seems more like an arcade version of Vanquish to me.

slapnuts

So Housemarque announced this game

http://youtu.be/ihgHkAnOPjo

thanks for the extra info Guymelef

It's not really difficult to see what may be influences for the game when you consider that Housemarque likes to take old game formulas and spruce them up for a new age.

It may be speculation but Colin Moriarty posted on Twitter about the game (he's a big Megaman fan) and HM favorited this tweet

xKvAwll.jpg

I'd love to see HMs version of Megaman so I'm pumped for the possibility.

The game looks bad ass....Sony really impressed me with all these unique exclusives coming. I get a feeling they saved a lot from E3 for this conference because, imho, the Paris conference seemed better than E3 for Sony.

Vire

Resogun was great but this just looks like an amalgamation of blandness in terms of art design. Even the title I think says a lot about the game.

It's at least more interesting to me than the alien top down shooter they were working on. I'll keep an eye on it and watch out for gameplay.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
SonyToo!™;183189761 said:
Has nobody played Vanquish? YT comments all said Megaman but I would have expected GAF to get it.
I got hints of Vanquish but I think a third person shooter would be uncharacteristic of Housemarque (though it would no doubt be incredible).

Housemarquee is officially my favorite arcade-esque game creator. Super Stardust was played nightly for almost 6 years. I still play Resogun all the time when I am itching for some old school arcade schmup insanity. Alienation looks like a ton of fun in the classic over the top shooter style with couch co-op / online gameplay. And now Matterfall which has a classic Contra/Megaman feel to it.

Can't wait to see more from both titles.

MrHoot

Sooo is there like...gameplay somewhere ? Because i'm getting a more "nothing" vibe from a CG trailer from a vague sci-fi setting with robot gunman with jetpack here. Or am I missing something

I got hints of Vanquish but I think a third person shooter would be uncharacteristic of Housemarque (though it would no doubt be incredible).

I agree a TPS would be a large step up for Housemarque but if they were to ever go for a TPS then a Vanquish clone would be what I'd expect them to make given their love of Japanese arcade games

The Suit, sliding while shooting, The shape shifting gun being moved to the arm, space station setting, robot enemies. Those are more than just hints EDIT even Eurogamer called it "Vanquish, only with voxels"

Top Bottom