• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport for PS4: What We Know So Far

Loudninja

3 Game Modes

GTPlanet can confirm that GT Sport will include three distinct game modes: “Campaign”, “Sports Mode”, and “Arcade Mode”. This nomenclature is an interesting departure from what we’ve seen in the most recent titles, suggesting the game will take a
different route in its overall structure.
FIA Gran Turismo Online Championship

The FIA aims to formally ratify the “Gran Turismo Online Championship” at the organization’s next World Motorsport Council meeting. Two championships will be held simultaneously throughout the year: the “Nations Cup” and “Manufacturers Cup”, where players represent either their country or their favorite car manufacturer.

Once ratified, the FIA will manage the series directly as any of their other franchises, including the World Rally Championship, Formula 1, World Endurance Championship, etc. The winners will be honored at the FIA’s annual prize-giving ceremonies in Paris.
Live “E-Sports” Events

The Nations Cup and Manufacturers Cup will have “live” components, presumably similar in form to the regional finals held around the world each year for GT Academy. Polyphony Digital and Sony are actively looking to promote Gran Turismo as an “e-sports” platform to promote virtual motorsports in the future.

We have also learned that organized “online events” are also planned to be held on a regular basis.
Improved Graphics, Physics, & Sounds

This isn’t much of a surprise, but the physics will reportedly be improved to take advantage of the PS4’s additional processing power. Engine sounds have also been a priority for Polyphony Digital since the launch of Gran Turismo 6, and GTPlanet has learned the company’s new sound engineer Mike Caviezel has been hard at work to change the way the sounds are generated.

We’ll finally be able to hear his progress when we get our first hands-on look at GT Sport
https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-sport-what-we-know-so-far/

wapplew

I think this GT gone too far into that professional sport thing. It's like aiming more and more niche market.
Luckily Driveclub filled my filthy casual racing need.

HQ screens from kostacurtas

1tpkm7.png

2jrjsb.png

3zlkt1.png

4f5kts.png

55dkn9.png

61rkod.png

74ckfv.png

8dak9x.png

"GTPlanet has learned the company’s new sound engineer Mike Caviezel has been hard at work to change the way the sounds are generated."

So Polyphony finally went and did what the whole world has been telling them to for the last 10 years, and actually hired a sound guy who knows his arse from his elbow?

GHG

Why the feck didn't Kaz just say all this when he was on stage instead of fumbling around with his translator?

Its simple "we are dropping the numbering system, this will be the platform we use for the lifecycle of the PS4, we have a partnership with the FiA so will be able to give you some fantastic cars/tracks, here's a trailer" *drop mic and walk off to appluase*

But no, all he did yesterday was just confuse the fuck out of everyone.

And who was it that had the inside scoop on this before and knew it was going to be called GT sport by the way?

texore

Unbelievable.

I mean, they're definitely bullshots in that they have zero aliasing of any kind, which is usually a telltale sign of bullshot, but nonetheless that lighting engine and car detail is second to none.

General consensus seems to be that it's GT7 but they've dropped numbered titles starting now.
It might be because it's snapshots from the video, but you can spot some jaggies on the headlights of the Audi and Mazda.

Not sure, I still want a full blown GT7. I want my rally and snow courses.

Which you're going to get. This is from their job listing earlier this year

Polyphony wants to improve the situational awareness of AI drivers, and their reactions to the ever-changing conditions of the tracks, giving there a more human-like behavior.
Implementing specific regulations for racing series like GT, rally and NASCAR is mentioned, also for events and “mission races.”
Polyphony plans to implement a tool to render audio based on 3D space infomation.
The studio plans to implement a companion app on mobile that can interact with the series on PlayStation via the network.
The studio is collaborating with production sites around the world, and needs to develop communication tools to make the process smoother.
The use of GPU compute for physics is mentioned.

There were also shots of rally racing in the opening montage about the history of racing in the trailer.

Kaz and co really need to aim up here. GT6 was the first Gran Turismo game I actively skipped, and Project Cars has been pretty damn good on all fronts.

Why the feck didn't Kaz just say all this when he was on stage instead of fumbling around with his translator?

Its simple "we are dropping the numbering system, this will be the platform we use for the lifecycle of the PS4, we have a partnership with the FiA so will be able to give you some fantastic cars/tracks, here's a trailer" *drop mic and walk off to appluase*

And who was it that had the inside scoop on this before and knew it was going to be called GT sport by the way?

Have they said that? Because I haven't seen it anywhere.

GHG

List of current FIA events:

Code:
[i]Open-wheel racing:
[/i]
FIA Formula One World Championship 
FIA European Formula Three Championship 
FIA Formula E Championship 
FIA Masters Historic Formula One Championship 
FIA Lurani Trophy for Formula Junior Cars 
CIK-FIA Karting World Championship 

[i]Touring-car racing:[/i]

FIA World Touring Car Championship 
FIA European Touring Car Cup 

[i]Sports-car racing:
[/i]
FIA World Endurance Championship 
FIA Masters Historic Sports Car Championship 
Blancpain Sprint Series 

[i]Rallying:[/i]

FIA World Rally Championship 
FIA European Rally Championship 
FIA Middle East Rally Championship 
FIA African Rally Championship 
FIA Asia-Pacific Rally Championship 
FIA Alternative Energies Cup 
FIA NACAM Rally Championship 
FIA CODASUR South American Rally Championship 
FIA European Historic Rally Championship 
FIA European Rally Cup 
FIA Trophy for Historic Regularity Rallies 

[i]Off-Road:
[/i]
FIA Cross-Country Rally World Cup 
FIA World Rally Cross Championship (WRX) 
FIA European Rallycross Championship (ERX) 
FIA European Autocross Championship 

[i]Hillclimbing:[/i]

FIA European Hill Climb Championship 
FIA International Hill Climb Cup 
FIA Hill Climb Masters 
FIA Historic Hill Climb Championship 

[i]Other racing series:[/i]

FIA European Truck Racing Championship 
T1 Prima Truck Racing Championship 
FIA European Drag Racing Championship
Will be interesting to see how many of these make it into the game eventually.

Stillmatic

I skipped GT6 after owning all previous games, so I can't wait to get back into GT. I'll have PSVR too, so things are going to get bonkers.

The whole esports and FIA stuff sounds amazing too.

I wish I could wrap my head around this logitech wheel workaround so I could use my DFGT, hopefully things are simplified by then.

I don't like how it sounds, look like they just use old engine with new effects..

It's a substantial jump over GT6

GTS
4f5kts.png

GT6
qG8b.jpg

With that said, they did build a cross-gen engine starting with GT6 and this is running on it. But Uncharted 4 is running on cross-gen engine as well and God of War 3 is a heavily modified PS2 cross-gen engine.

Man

PSVR support is the biggest of news. Can't wait. All aboard the hype train.
Skipped GT6 due to post-PS4 release.

Bishop89

it doesnt sound like the structure is changing.

Arcade = arcade
Campaign = A-spec bronze-gold racers
Sports = new mode?

Cant wait to play it, GT is one of my fav franchises

I think we can all expect a game with driving automobiles as the focal point. Now this is just a tip off but it's from a reliable source.

Upinsmoke

Looking forward to it. Skipped 6, 5 was good but felt clunky and dated in some aspects, last GT that hit the spot was GT3 for me.

DonMigs85

I just want zero screen tear, rock-solid 60FPS and shadows that don't look like saw blades.
Those were my biggest niggles with GT5 and 6

These confusing announcements are a bit of a buzzkill for me. Don't know whether I can expect the number of cars and tracks I'd expect from a game called GT7 or if it's going to be a Prologue/Concept/Academy type thing. Will I pay $60 once and have a game, or is it going to be microtransactions and add-ons and patches and stuff for years.

Either way, I need to see some genuine effort expended in fixing the age old GT problems before I'm in again. Opponent AI, pretty much every aspect of sound, the wildly varying graphical quality with PS2 assets everywhere. Presumably GT5 and 6's shoddy framerate won't be an issue on the PS4, so that's one thing. If I load up this game and find that I have to click TCS and ABS down to zero on every single car rather than being able to set a default I'm going to lose my mind.

btw, can anyone tell me what this gorgeous creature is called?

Adam M

I hope that they can give us proper engine sounds.

In my opinion the only really major issue with GT games is the sound. If they can manage great sounds then this could be the full package

So annoying that you can't use the same wheel with Xbox and PlayStation, many people have both console and would like to play Forza and GT too but buying 2 wheels is kinda crazy...

The segment on this game was horrible. Really unclear and fumbled.

A lot of people need this because they skipped GT6.

I need this because I did NOT skip GT6.

Left a sour taste to close out my favorite playstation franchise on the ps3.

Top Bottom