• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you identify as a "gamer"?

oni-link

When looking at things like GamerGate, it seems like there are a lot of people who see themselves as "gamers" and that use being a "gamer" as part of who they are. They self identify as gamers, and get offended when people say things about "gamers", or they feel personally attacked or praised when anyone talks about anything positive or negative with regards to those who play games

I think it can also be seen in attitudes towards mobile gaming, or anything else gaming related that isn't seen as being core, as well as in advertising for some gaming related stuff as well

I love games as much as the next person, and probably spend more time than most people playing and talking about them, but I don't identify as a "gamer" or see it as being something I need to defend or protect, there are good and bad things about both the industry as a whole and about games in general, and discussion about these things is always a positive

What about you, GAF? Do you identify as a gamer, or do you see being a gamer as part of who you are? If so, why? If not, why?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Some really dislike the term, but sure. I play games a lot. If you read a lot of books, your a boom worm, and similar things, so I figure just roll with it.

I also go by AestheticGamer in some other places, but that name was more because I was making a YT channel and wanted to make it completely identifiable by the name the channel was mostly dedicated to games, and I like aesthetics and play slowly through games, taking time to explore. So the name was more born to be an easy label.

I think labels are not what people are, but a way to identify certain traits. I wouldn't go to some non-game related thing and declare I'm a gamer or anything.

JimiNutz

Banned
I used to, in the sense that it was one of my main hobbies and I used to be interested in the industry.
As I've aged that has passed though (although still spend too much time reading and getting excited about games that I'll probably never actually have the time to play).

pixelish

could someone please define what a 'gamer' is first and only then i can tell whether or not i identify myself as one?

Since playing/studying/industry-watching games is my main hobby, yes. If watching/studying films was my main hobby I'd be a cineaste.

I don't see a reason to shy away from the term, in spite of shit like COD dudebros and GoofyGoobers.

Alfredo

I'm a person that happens to like video games. Maybe I like them more than the average person, but my hobby doesn't define me.

I'm convinced the term "gamer" was just some word made up by some person in marketing.

I don't like labels, but if someone calls me a gamer, I don't have a problem with it. I used to get real stuck-up about shit like that, but I just don't care anymore. Unless someone is actively talking about me in a derogatory way *because* of a factor like that, doesn't bother me.

Edit: Post below mine has the right idea. I think "gamer" is a bit patronizing, but coming up with some self-justifying description seems much more petty.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i play games but never call myself a gamer. just don't like it for some reason. same for other things. don't call myself a musician or artist cause i like playing my guitar or drawing.

maybe i just think i'm not good enough to give myself these titles.

Axbarn

Banned
No, because I feel like "gaming" and "gamers" are more associated with "Hardcore gaming" these days, which implies LoL, eSports and Battlefield and CS, which is kind of not why I'm playing games at all.

That said, I probably spend a good third or so more time playing video games than most other people I know but I play for the experience and immersion of playing engrossing single-player games and my dream is that the medium will some day lose its reputation of having poorly written stories.

We've gotten close a few times. The Last of Us is one of the most recognized popular hits where the story was the reason for its success, and Mass Effect was quite a phenomenon as well (until writing faltered during 2 and 3) and then more niche games like Hotel Dusk or Ace Attorney on Nintendo's handhelds keep me going.

So nah. I don't like associating myself with the part of gaming I don't really care for and I feel like "gamer" does belong to the "hardcore gaming" crowd. That said, I definitely would prefer being called a "gamer" than a "Computer nerd" which was my label in middle-school.

Woah, what is everyone's problem being called a gamer in this thread? It seems like people are taking it as an offence; surely it just means a dude who plays video games, no? Or are a bit more interested in them then the general population (hence why people are on GAF in the first place)?

Or is a video game enthusiast a better word? I mean saying gamer is much simpler lol

I thought it was a stupid term back in 2009 and smh at this being straight up Gamergate related, shoulda expected it coming into the thread but no it's a dumb thing to refer to yourself as.

Roni

Gold Member
I'm a gamer. When I get home from work overwhelming odds say I'll play a game instead of reading a book, watching TV or a movie, listening to music or engaging in any other form of entertainment.

poodaddy

I don't see why it's trendy to hate the term gamer right now to be honest. I identify as many things; film buff, fitness enthusiast, foodie, techie, music lover, avid reader and, yes, gamer. I don't feel the need to defend it for the most part, it's simply my favorite of many hobbies, but I don't understand what's wrong with identifying as a gamer at all, though I will say that I don't seem to get along well with any other "gamers" so I don't really know what that says.

I use to identify myself as a gamer but GamerGate made me re-evaluate that whole identity. I can't say video games are a hobby. My passion for games goes way beyond just hobby levels. I don't really have a term anymore. Guess Geek/Nerd covers it but there are large parts of Geekdom that I reject as well.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Why are so many people saying "No, I'm just a person who plays games"

Isn't that what a gamer is? Or have I missed something?

All I play nowadays is Gears of War and Super Smash Brothers Melee. I'll get a few big games when they come out, but that's about all. Still... I'd say I'm a gamer because...well...I play videogames.

MercuryLS

Banned
No, it's my my secret shame :p

I keep most of old games at my parents house, only keep my PS4 around and a Retron 5. I mostly buy digital now so when girls come over they don't see a massive game collection.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
No more than I identify as a tver or movier. It's a means of entertainment. Nothing more.

OBias

I am as much a "gamer" as I am a "reader" or a "viewer". I don't see the point of discussing it at all.

Top Bottom