• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 doesn't, and won't, have splitscreen - but Halo 6 might

Kriken

"Realistically, for Halo 5, it's not something we can just throw in a patch," O'Connor said. "It's just not feasible with the way the engine works." Now, before you get too sad, O'Connor admitted that the blowback to splitscreen removal has been "huge," and that just because it's not in Halo 5 doesn't mean the feature is gone forever.

"Splitscreen is fun for me too. It's not something that I object to, and we would've loved to put it in," O'Connor said. "We'll talk about it for the next game, and we'll talk about it for the future."

http://www.gamesradar.com/halo-5-doesnt-have-splitscreen-halo-6-might/

Saw the other interview from Gamesradar posted, but didn't see this one. Compare me to Star Wars if old

Krakn3Dfx

Splitscreen coop in Halo 6 pretty significantly increases my chances of buying it. Played through all of the previous games in SS coop with my son, and the lack in 5 pretty much kills any interest I have in it tbh.

Good to hear there was a significant backlash to the omission, it's unfortunate that they won't be able to add it in after the fact.

Ein Bear

Halo 5 is fantastic, but the lack of splitscreen really is a huge blow.

My friend came round to see the game with the idea that we'd pass the pad back and forth and go through the campaign. We ended up giving up after the first mission and playing Halo 3 in splitscreen instead. This is the first Halo launch since Halo 2 that my social group hasn't organised a huge launch day LAN, and that's just a huge part of Halo that's lost for me.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I wouldn't definitely bought a Xbox One and Halo 5 if it had split screen. Me and my little brother beat every Halo game split screen and had so much fun doing it.

Definitely hope they do this. My friends and I still like to get together when we can and instead of system linking (even possible with the One?) we've moved on to just playing split screen.

I must say, It's kind of interesting how some games have to move with the generation that grew up with them. Kids these days probably don't care about split screen as much as the kids and teens who grew up with Halo 1-3 want it.

I haven't played split screen in a FPS since probably '08 or '09, but I know a lot of problem use it. Split screen has been a staple for Halo for a long time, and I hope it returns in Halo 6.

So... does Halo 5 just not matter to the plot, then? How else would a splitscreen player be able to jump from 4 to 6?

What? Of course it still matters to the plot. They're not going to scrap the whole story and go "Fuck it, we'll make this non-canon because we couldn't get split-screen working."

Jito

Banned
So... does Halo 5 just not matter to the plot, then? How else would a splitscreen player be able to jump from 4 to 6?

wait-what-gif.gif

I hope Halo 6 has it. I had a couple buddies over last night and I showed them Halo 5, but we ended up just popping the Master Chief Collection back in and playing that. Without split screen I won't be playing Halo 5 nearly as much as the older games.

Head.spawn

As long as it's 60fps in full screen multi-player mode isn't compromised, idgaf.

All of my friends have xbones, so split screen is a thing of the past that we'll never do again. But I totally get that some love it for co-op and being screen watching cheating bastards.

Hopefully everyone can get what they want with the next iteration.

Hm, maybe I am remembering this incorrectly but didn't they have hard data through xbox live that showed them that no one cares for that anymore?

Anyway, so when is Halo 6 coming out? Is it this year?

ZSeba

So glad the backlash was big enough for them to notice. My decision to buy halo 6 depends on splitscreen

If halo 6 sticks with the team members theme then split screen would really be nice for when I play with my friends or family visits, I did that with halo 1, 2 and 3 back in the day, gears series, resi 5... split screen is important.

btags

Unless they go back down to 30 fps for splitscreen or have some pretty radical optimizations to their engine, I don't understand how they could possibly do this while maintaining a graphical level similar to halo 5 (or have anything close to the singleplayer experience of halo 6 if that is the route they take). Of course, this assumes halo 6 will come out for xbone.

People are piling on this guy, but this is the only way some people even want to bother with Halo. It was the last bastion of local co-op campaigns, among shooters in particular. There are a LOT of people looking for co-op games like this in the market as the gaming populace has expanded over the years and the number of brands doing it is not increasing this gen.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
If they end up forcing Halo 6 to be 30 fps because of the splitscreen backlash, I'm going to be extremely salty. >(

I think the lack of splitscreen and all the fuss is partly (mostly) just a vocal minority. Didn't they or some other Dev say before that the number of split screen gamers was pretty tiny?

Sure it's a nice feature but it has some serious technical implications AFAIK and honestly if I game has to remove it to maintain 60fps and a higher fidelity then I couldn't really care.

BokehKing

Banned
People are piling on this guy, but this is the only way some people even want to bother with Halo. It was the last bastion of local co-op campaigns, among shooters in particular. There are a LOT of people looking for co-op games like this in the market as the gaming populace has expanded over the years and the number of brands doing it is not increasing this gen.
We still have call of duty/Star Wars battlefront and the borderlands brand that does it, halo 6 might still do it, there is hope it survives

Fractal

Banned
Isn't split screen pretty much a thing of the distant past these days?

While I'm sure its removal may be an issue to some people on dedicated gaming forums, I doubt the general audience cares much.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Is splitscreen really that big a deal? I can't even remember the last game I played splitscreen. Actually it was COD4. Can't you play co-op with someone online? Why does it need to be split screen? I mean Halo 5 cut corners to get 60fps and if they were to add split screen then that'd go out the window then we'd have people moaning about that.

Hoje0308

Banned

There still isn't a single bit of logic in the question though. Technical difficulties don't mean the story isn't important, nor does the fact that the developer is responding to criticism. And it's pretty goddamn easy to get caught up on a story these days even if you're codependent or unwilling to buy a console to play a game you. His question answers itself with a level of thinking available to most children.

If they end up forcing Halo 6 to be 30 fps because of the splitscreen backlash, I'm going to be extremely salty. >(

Hopefully splitscreen is dropped to 30 while solo players can still enjoy the campaign at 60.

They won't.

60fps is here to stay and they should not build 6s campaign around making split-screen possible either. If they can get it working for those that want it then that is great news but i'd rather they make the game they want to make and not design it around accommodating that feature

Hoje0308

Banned
Fucking 1080p culture.

60 fps with split-screen at a lower resolution >

They're already using dynamic resolution and cutting a lot of corners to reach 60 for a single player. It would help to know what you're talking about before you get indignant about people that like gaming at a native res.

Most of my Halo experience has been split screen. It would be nice if it returned since it seems like a pillar of the Halo experience.

But now that I think about it the dynamic resolution Halo 5 has going for it would probably be a pain in the bit to set up in splitscreen.

Isn't split screen pretty much a thing of the distant past these days?

While I'm sure its removal may be an issue to some people on dedicated gaming forums, I doubt the general audience cares much.

Obviously not. This is why so many folks were up in arms over it. It sure seems like it though when folks continue to spread that narrative.

If anything split-screen would be a feature that appeals greatly to the casual audience. Family and such, I want to play halo 5 with my son, but I can't, this is the common complaint from most about split-screen.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I was disappointed to find it out as well, as my son and I played a shitload of it. With the coming forge mode, not having the ability to go play with him on the maps he makes is gonna kind of suck.

Good game though, just sucks not being able to play it on the couch together.

Ricky 7

Splitscreen has always been a big part of Halo. The fact that 5 doesn't have it completely put me off the game, shame too because I played the heck out of all the others.

DorkyMohr

Banned
Pure anecdotal observation here but, almost every time I hear mention of the Halo 5 campaign it's in the context of playing it solo with the AI companions. I was honestly expecting to hear more about people rolling 4-deep through the campaign but I haven't. Could the splitscreen-only playerbase have represented a larger portion compared to online coop players than they had thought?

Top Bottom