• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed (2015) - Review Thread

DOWN

Banned
The always online reboot of the series and spiritual successor to Underground/Underground 2. Trial on EA Access now. Releases Tuesday 11/3.

METACRITIC 71/100

Angry Centaur Gaming - Rent / Wait for Deep Sale

GameTrailers - 8.3

IGN 6.3 / 10

Destructoid 6/10

Hardcore Gamer - 3/5

USGamer - 4.5/5

GamesBeat - 70

Attack of the Fanboy - 3.5/5

Game Rant - 3/5

GamingAge - C

God is a Geek - 6.5

EGM - 7

VideoGamer - 5

Gaming Trend - 85

We Got This Covered - 3/5

Gamespot - 8/10

Giantbomb 2/5

ARSTechnica
Verdict: A great racing game for the younger or more casual gamer, and for fans of modded cars. Others should try it.

Prism Gaming UK
The best one yet

NDTV Gadgets - 6/10
As it stands, you can do better this year's Need for Speed. Sure, it possesses all the traditional EA spit and polish we're used to what with a punchy soundtrack and fantastic production values, but they do little to elevate one of the lesser entries in the franchise.

Thanks Quentyn and others

From Xbox One
20151028-194734q1sgx.png

20151028-194843g0ste.png

TimmiT

They definitely made some weird choices for this game.

No daytime racing or cockpit view...Why?

I don't really mind either of those, considering it's an arcade racer and nighttime thing just seems to be a part of the vibe they're going for. The bigger problem is with how it's online only without there being any need for it to be.

lcap

I've played the game on EA Access and for the first time in a long time I did not like a NFS. I loved Rivals even with its problems but there are some stuff on this one that aren't fun at all.

I dunno, maybe a day one patch will fix some of the rubber banding, which is my most issue with the game right now.

Performance wise it's not very promising as well on the Xbox one.

ps3ud0

Someone mentioned in another NfS and even though I was in the beta I was shocked - theres no drag races in this?

ps3ud0 8)

GHG

Someone mentioned in another NfS and even though I was in the beta I was shocked - theres no drag races in this?

ps3ud0 8)

Doesn't look like it.

An Underground (and fast and furious) inspired NFS with no drag races?

Get out of here.

i hate the videos between the gameplay. The acting is terrible and what they say is so cringeworthy. Got bored of this game during 2 days of beta and i didnt even play that much. Not a good sign that`s why i`ll wait and maybe try it again at a friends house. No way is spend 70€ on this. Graphics are awesome though.

Zukuu

Banned
This will be the first NFS I will pick up since Pro Street. I have played EVERY NFS before that and Underground 1 is by far the one I love the most, so I'm looking forward to it. Sadly it comes out when Fallout 4 is on the horizon, so I won't be playing it for a while.

Does it support FFB PS3 wheels?

Krabboss

They definitely made some weird choices for this game.

No daytime racing or cockpit view...Why?

Not all video games have to be all things. I imagine they wanted to focus on arcade night driving, which is why neither of those things are in the game.

thenameDS

I for one can't wait for this. It's what I will be playing during my Christmas break alongside Fallout 4.

Underground was my jam back in the day, would spend hours modifying cars.

oh i didn't even know this game was coming out so soon. thought it was delayed to next year since i don't hear or see anything about it. I'm betting on the meta critic score sitting around the 7s.

Kade

Watched the GiantBomb Quick Look last night since I was curious about the game and have been hoping that the series would go back to it's Underground/Most Wanted glory days and it seemed pretty cool. Couldn't stop laughing at the line "Hoonage for days, son".

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Beta was good. Something missing though. I'm sure it will be worth a purchase anyway.

ZeroX03

Banned
It's a... weird game. My friend is doing a review for it and I'm playing it through EA Access. Echoing the really strange design choices in the game. And FMVs are whacky.

Synth

I have played EVERY NFS before that and Underground 1 is by far the one I love the most, so I'm looking forward to it.

NFS:Underground was awesome. Based on the time I've spent with the EA Access trial, I'd say you may want to dial your expectation downwards. A lot.

The graphics are fucking ridiculous though... there's that at least.

DOWN

Banned
I wouldn't bother with any reviews that pop up before the game's gone live.
Well the thing is, despite being online, it's hardly significant to the campaign. It's pretty grossly unnecessary actually. The online features can be disabled because they are mostly weak social competitive features but the game still won't work if you can't connect to EA servers. The game doesn't have a real multiplayer strength at all.

ps3ud0

I wouldn't bother with any reviews that pop up before the game's gone live.
Do we have any idea what the conditions were for review?
Well the thing is, despite being online, it's hardly significant to the campaign. It's pretty grossly unnecessary actually. The online features can be disabled because they are mostly weak social competitive features but the game still won't work if you can't connect to EA servers. The game doesn't have a real multiplayer strength at all.
I really hope reviews look into that as there doesn't seem anything in the game to require it to be online-gated - its really pretty obvious way for EA to dictate the games lifetime. There should be obvious benefits for such concessions...

ps3ud0 8)

I've had fun with the beta and trial, but it's definitely not a game I'd drop $60 on. The rubberbanding AI often kills the experience for me, and the always online component is frustrating too.

I'm not fundamentally opposed to always online, but it adds nothing here and the game often hitches when someone enters your game, which is frustrating when racing.

the game's graphics are actually a problem while playing imo.
makes for great vids but feels so odd for gameplay
feels like sliding through a gutter pipe with holes on Acid .
everything is super slippery colorful and hazy.

Do we have any idea what the conditions were for review?

I really hope reviews look into that as there doesn't seem anything in the game to require it to be online-gated - its really pretty obvious way for EA to dictate the games lifetime. There should be obvious benefits for such concessions...

ps3ud0 8)
Don't think EA's had a review event or anything funky going on with this one.
My concern is just that once the servers start getting busy as the game's made available to the public on the 3rd, things will start falling apart. And with this game, connection issues means the game just won't work at all. So it feels like that's kind of important to consider.

And yeah, from a user perspective there's no justification for the game being always online.
The benefits are nice. EA said. Then proceeded to never elaborate. As far as I can tell it's just a regular racing game with online functionality.

skelekey

It's a shame I can't get this. My entertainment center is too far from the internet. Router + range extender, and I still get poor connection and dropped sometimes. Always online is a deal breaker for me.

Top Bottom