• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation VR comes with a powerful processing i.e. the break out box

Sony's Ram Madhavan(developer services and support) reveals at the Unite 2015 talk. The revelation comes at the 14min 28 sec mark of the talk, and reiterates it at the 19min 48sec mark
CSwA3qFVEAEu7qa.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RNbZpcfAhE

SDK's have improved on all fronts new device tracking and audio

Lots of new info
reducing latency
why reprojection
CSwBX3qU8AAWx5G.png

CSwBPOQUsAAvVwO.png

CSwBIeCU8AA5l_S.png

CSwDGEQUcAAzh98.png

CSwBeZyUcAAFbw3.png

CSwBorfUcAA7_mC.png

CSwByLiUAAA2OYA.png

*chants $350 $350 $350
Come on sony,hardware looks good, launch software looking like a good entry point give me $350(or under but i doubt it being realistic) and im day one

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I was wondering how they were planning on making this happen with just a PS4. Really cool way to handle it. Now the question is price, especially in comparison to the PC headsets.

Matush

Welp, there goes $299. I still hope it is $300 at most for VR alone, but with second processing unit I doubt. $400 with Move + camera, anything higher than that and I will probably bomb.

Idk what people were expecting even without shu saying it will be priced like a nee gaming platform i already assumed 300-400. All the others will be too

bomer

Wait, break it box to allow for 120hz? I wonder if that means we could do 4k at 60hz. Also I could definitely see future models just coming with the beefier gpu inside.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Still no mention of a Move 2.0 :( If it doesn't get announced at the very start of 2016, I guess its not happening.

Shu said in the beginning that this was going to roughly be the price of a console

Yeah, though plenty of people took that statement to mean it could be as low as $200 (on par with a handheld system).

My guess is a basic package (Headset, box, disc of tech demos) for $300, premium (basic+two Move controllers, additional game) for $375, and a console bundle for $600.

Sami+

Pretty clever way to boost PS4 performance without forcing in a separate expansion pack. Hopefully it's not too expensive.

kiguel182

This is really cool for VR since it will allow better VR experiences but yeah, the price is going to be rough.

I think it would be great if this could work on less-powerful PCs. Would be a great competitor do the Oculus if that was the case.

Ploid 3.0

So that's what those ports are for on the bottom of the PS4.

I kid. Looking forward to seeing the final package. Hope it's nice.

Binuaral sound jpg

I want this for normal games too. Good thing they are using it for the VR stuff. I want more of this in games after witnessing how awesome binural videos with earphones can be (barbershop binural for example). I bet a lot of people play games with headphones providing sounds especially at night.

Vinc

VR + expansion box for current PS4s = 399 to 499

VR alone that works out of the box with any newer PS4 that includes the extra hardware inside (aka "premium sku" they were talking about) = 299 to 399

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Its been hinted at several times idk if its confirmed as it's more so expected at this point

I remember them hinting as well, especially when they said the technology is far less taxing since it does not use a tradition poly calculation method. They are not polys at all. Very impressive tech.

virtualS

I believe the PS4 contains a TrueAudio processor just like modern AMD cards. Always assumed that would handle 3D audio for VR.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think it does more than that, he talks about it getting better as well as improving latency
It certainly will do useful things. Shu and Dr. Marks both said this thing is not seen as an additional power processing unit that will improve the game's visual quality what people usually associate with "powerful processing."

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Probably performs the reprojection and maybe some pre-processing for the motion controls?

Maybe the "enhanced" PS4 that was recently mentioned could include this extra processing (preventing the need for this extra VR unit)?

I remember them hinting as well, especially when they said the technology is far less taxing since it does not use a tradition poly calculation method. They are not polys at all. Very impressive tech.
Yup dreams,gt,driveclub(just a demo so far)summer lesson,tekken 7 vr,no mans sky(o its happening) all very strong hitters to push ps vr. Im actually surprised at the first three i didn't expect such strong first partu support lets me know they are serious

This is really cool for VR since it will allow better VR experiences but yeah, the price is going to be rough.

I think it would be great if this could work on less-powerful PCs. Would be a great competitor do the Oculus if that was the case.

It would considering the res is 1080 vs Oculus' 1440, plus it has almost no screen door effect due to its superior optics. As an Oculus devkit owner I kinda wish we were getting it for PC too, but knowing Sony that would never happen. Gonna stay firmly in the PS ecosystem.

Top Bottom