• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Ranked #2 on Top 25 Game Companies By Game Revenue

http://www.newzoo.com/free/rankings/top-25-companies-by-game-revenues/

software only not hardware

The data is based on analysis of annual and quarterly financial reports published by a number of relevant publicly listed companies. For companies that do not split out their game revenues, the analysis includes estimates, which may or may not be indicated explicitly. Revenues (GAAP) are restated to reflect Calendar Years, therefore do not necessarily match reported Fiscal Year results of individual companies. Revenues exclude hardware sales and other non-game sales to the extent publicly available. Microsoft and Sony estimates represent all Xbox and Playstation non-hardware platform revenues (including Xbox Live and PSN revenues respectively).

For further in-depth data on global games market companies and revenues, see our Global Games Market Report or country specific consumer data.

Exchange rates are at year end, unless companies report in US$. Revenue growth includes the effect of acquisitions and currency movements, which sometimes have a material impact on growth rates. The data is based on proprietary analysis and provided for information purposes only. The data may be updated and/or revised without notice, based on new information becoming available or new insights gained from our ongoing market research activities. We explicitly do not make any representations as to the accuracy or completeness of the data or overview. This ranking was last updated on November 2nd 2015.
Read more at http://www.newzoo.com/free/rankings/top-25-companies-by-game-revenues/#2z6QerGggm5081mL.99

Bgamer90

Banned
I never heard of Tencent either until seeing this. Read some stuff about them. Makes sense for Tencent to be number one.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
This confuses me since I'm not a business owner or a banker.

Can something be called revenue even if the revenue that you just made doesn't cover for the cost of making said revenue?

Because last time I checked Microsoft hasn't made a dime on the Xbox division since they created the division and brand/games.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Can something be called revenue even if the revenue that you just made doesn't cover for the cost of making said revenue?

Because last time I checked Microsoft hasn't made a dime on the Xbox division since they created the division and brand.

Revenue is any money that comes in, regardless of cost.

Tencent owns League of Legends which is probably one of if not the most profitable game in the industry. They also own 40% of Epic Games and I thought they've heavily invested into Activision/Blizzard.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Because last time I checked Microsoft hasn't made a dime on the Xbox division since they created the division and brand/games.
I'm pretty sure they are in the red hardware-wise, but the rest is all green.

RoKKeR

You are thinking of profits, which is what you get when you subtract costs from overall revenue. A company can generate all the revenue in the world and still not earn a profit if their costs are high enough... see Amazon.

border

The Entertainment and Devices division of Microsoft has reported many profitable quarters.

This report does not take into account profit or loss though.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Revenue is any money that comes in, regardless of cost.

So if I spend $100m making a product but only make $60m back that's still consider revenue? Huh...and here I though revenue was meant for the money you make AFTER you already gain enough money to cover the initial cost.

Edit:Oh that's right I was confusing it with profits silly me.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So if I spend $100m making a product but only make $60m back that's still consider revenue? Huh...and here I though revenue was meant for the money you make AFTER you already gain enough money to cover the initial cost.

$60M would be your revenue. Your net loss would be 40M.

Kill3r7

You are thinking of profits, which is what you get when you subtract costs from overall revenue. A company can generate all the revenue in the world and still not earn a profit if their costs are high enough... see Amazon.

Profits are overrated at least in the case of Amazon. Most companies would love to see that kind of growth.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I still don't get it though. How are they making more revenue for software than Sony when so much more software sells on PS4 than XBO?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Your example is right - your company would have a $60m revenue, $100m costs, and therefore be making a loss of $40m (profit/loss being the difference between revenue and cost).

That's just flat out not true. Division began turning in profitable quarters a few years into the 360's life, especially after Kinect came out.

But revenue is total amount of money pulled in without subtracting expenses. It's a good measure of who's doing the most business, not the "best" business. Amazon, for example, pulls in mountains of revenue, but I don't think they've ever turned a profit.

MS owns Minecraft, Havok, the Windows store, and XBL subs/content/DLC. There is a constant stream of revenue coming into the Xbox division even when no new games are released by MS as a publisher.

tuxfool

Banned
In case people are unaware Tencent also owns Epic among other things. Though I bet that revenue is eclipsed by LoL.

Xion_Stellar

Well thanks for the quick explanation guys.

Now that I'm more familiar with the terminology this list is way less impressive.

Interesting, doesn't fit the narrative I read here a lot.

Yne8N2B.jpg

Software, not hardware. Or have you forgotten about the Minecraft acquisition? Climb down off your crucifix.

Sony with that 12% yoy growth, that's pretty good. And Microsoft has so much other business besides Xbox One that would go under games, that they are obviously going to continue to be one of the biggest players in the years to come.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Man, the Tencent number is ridiculous. It's 60% more than the Microsoft one (2nd place).

And a nice growth for Sony YoY.

Madness

I still don't get it though. How are they making more revenue for software than Sony when so much more software sells on PS4 than XBO?

What do you mean? Just look at Minecraft, still in the top ten NPD every month. Then factor in games like Halo, Gears, Forza etc. Then they also have licensing money from software, games that they are publishers of like Sunset Overdrive etc. Microsoft has always had large software attach rates.

Top Bottom